I feel like Sarah Maltby is insufficiently criticised and she obscures her lack of skill through a rather excessive “care bear/put the kettle on” political style.

hunter

Sarah has been an MHK for almost 3 years now and I still don’t know what her specific opinions or convictions are on anything. The only evidence I could find was a Manx Radio article where she called for reform of poorly performing public services, which is a rather generic and piss-takey opinion to have. I imagine asking her about more nuanced issues like Israeli settlements, the rise of multipolarity in international relations, or dealing with falling birthrates would elicit little more than a generic “put the kettle on” response with her personal phone number, which has been her dominant political strategy which I hoped would’ve started to wear thin by now. MHK’s are not supposed to be delegates, not clerks/customer service for constituents; they are supposed to use their judgment to make the best decisions, and that requires some level of stubborn opinion-having and ideological convictions especially in the absence of political parties.

You would hope a lack of opinions would be excused with a more technical understanding of Tynwald and Government, perhaps some kind of eidetic memory on legislation or policy details, but that is sadly not the case. I watched a Mannin Line interview of hers from last year that she did with the benefits office manager and there was a rather hilarious clip at the 26:00 min mark where a caller specifically asks Sarah a question only for a bit of awkward silence and gesturing, resulting in the civil servant taking the question on alongside some intermittent head-nodding from Sarah. At the end of the call, Andy says the callers question is one of policy but immediately moves on to the next caller without asking Sarah - the politician - what the policy change should be. Lmao. It was a good example of how the role of a backbench MHK has become infantilised under the whole “care bear theory of Manx politics” and Sarah is rather over-leveraged on this strategy.

There’s just something specifically offensive about her being an MHK; there’s the obvious reason, but the incessant selfies, positivity, and semi-ironic air-headedness contrasted with a lack of opinions, convictions, interest in detail, or any political vision beyond “being there” adds insult to injury. it’s almost like she doesn’t find politics interesting, but she’s also insufficiently malicious for me to accuse her of anything controversial. It’s a weird mix of inscrutability and straightforwardness.

Edited by hunter

Why are we singling out these people, the whole of the government is made up of clowns and mime artist's. Or am I being harsh, in fact it is harder to point out any one who seems to be at least trying to make any difference and inhance the life of the public in any shape or form. I may be mistaken, lord I wish I was.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Illiberal Vannin said:

Or in the MLP who are just a bunch of embarrassing clowns. 

Joney Faragher is also an embarrassing waste of space pretending to be an MHK. 

you forgot to name the other 23

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

There is something uniquely dull and hollow about Maltby though, and I feel like the public hasn't addressed it at all since she became an MHK. At least Joney and the others try to have opinions.

12 hours ago, hunter said:

Sarah has been an MHK for almost 3 years now and I still don’t know what her specific opinions or convictions are on anything. The only evidence I could find was a Manx Radio article where she called for reform of poorly performing public services, which is a rather generic and piss-takey opinion to have. I imagine asking her about more nuanced issues like Israeli settlements, the rise of multipolarity in international relations, or dealing with falling birthrates would elicit little more than a generic “put the kettle on” response with her personal phone number, which has been her dominant political strategy which I hoped would’ve started to wear thin by now. MHK’s are not supposed to be delegates, not clerks/customer service for constituents; they are supposed to use their judgment to make the best decisions, and that requires some level of stubborn opinion-having and ideological convictions especially in the absence of political parties.

You would hope a lack of opinions would be excused with a more technical understanding of Tynwald and Government, perhaps some kind of eidetic memory on legislation or policy details, but that is sadly not the case. I watched a Mannin Line interview of hers from last year that she did with the benefits office manager and there was a rather hilarious clip at the 26:00 min mark where a caller specifically asks Sarah a question only for a bit of awkward silence and gesturing, resulting in the civil servant taking the question on alongside some intermittent head-nodding from Sarah. At the end of the call, Andy says the callers question is one of policy but immediately moves on to the next caller without asking Sarah - the politician - what the policy change should be. Lmao. It was a good example of how the role of a backbench MHK has become infantilised under the whole “care bear theory of Manx politics” and Sarah is rather over-leveraged on this strategy.

There’s just something specifically offensive about her being an MHK; there’s the obvious reason, but the incessant selfies, positivity, and semi-ironic air-headedness contrasted with a lack of opinions, convictions, interest in detail, or any political vision beyond “being there” adds insult to injury. it’s almost like she doesn’t find politics interesting, but she’s also insufficiently malicious for me to accuse her of anything controversial. It’s a weird mix of inscrutability and straightforwardness.

Have you spoken to her and asked her directly? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What's with all the newbie accounts injecting personal venom into political figures. Maybe they need to stop bullying from behind their anonymous usernames. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

This is typical personal attacks from someone who is to scared to speak to the person direct about their concerns.

Similar to personal attacks on Manxcare and steam packet staff 

It's a bit silly to suggest that criticising the public posture of an elected politician as being the same as harassment of a private individual.

• Sad 1

I don’t think the lady ,Ms Cope , from Manx Care who has been harassed could be termed as a private individual .      I conclude Sarah has offended you in some way and that is why you choose to join our happy (mostly) forum to spout your spite.   Well I for one am not impressed, instead of personal attacks why don’t you stand for election ? perhaps starting in an local authority to gain experience.   You will find it is not as easy as it looks and very different from any expectations.  As Banker has said this is a cowardly way of behaving.

• Like 3

Just now, Fred the shred said:

I don’t think the lady ,Ms Cope , from Manx Care who has been harassed could be termed as a private individual .      I assume Sarah has offended you in some way and that is why you choose to join our happy (mostly) forum to spout your spite.   Well I for one am not impressed, instead of personal attacks why don’t you stand for election ? perhaps starting in an local authority to gain experience.   You will find it is not as easy as it looks and very different from any expectations.  As Banker has said this is a cowardly way of behaving.

Apologies to the regulars who feel like I have violated the sanctity of the ManxForums code of conduct.

I didn't realise that this forum is opposed to criticism of politicians.