Tynwald Taking The xxxx

FCMR

Some of the Items to be voted/debated on this week are dodgy.

Legal aid for all, proposed by MHK in major court actions

More powers to Tax & Vat officers on cash businesses, Voted against by MHKs in this type of business

Planning New regulations benifit the developers

Governor, Wrong move and could create more problems

Ex MHK on 3 Government directorships @ £10kpa Jobs for the boys that are voted out

Increase in licence fees for cinematography outlets, Island brags about making £millions from films,so fees should be reduced

Increase in licence fees Music & dancing, Clubs are losing money

extra subsidies for first time buyers, not fare on others who have struggled to buy houses and helps fill the pockets of developers

So which of the above are "dodgy" and what is "dodgy" about them. Clarification would be more than welcome.

It was also proposed that to save the Taxpayer money older Government houses that need refurbed could be sold off cheap to first time buyers and the money raised to go towards the cost of building low income homes, it was kicked out. To me this was a great Idea,

Still doesnt answer which you considered to be "dodgy"

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tynwald have just voted themselves a 6.5% rise for accomodation and refreshment expences, this is a total xxxx take seeing as they have only gave the pensioners 3%, the only member to vote against the rise was Peter Karran

I didn't realise that pensioners get accomodation and refreshment expenses.

You seem (at least from your post) to be comparing 2 things that cannot really be compared.

There is no detail as to what Tynwald get for accomodation and refreshment expenses at the moment.

There is no detail as to what the pensioners 3% is for or relating to.

Pensions up by 3% which has to cover, power,heat,food,rent, travel and more.

Government gets 6.5% rise on £11-68 per meal, Accomodation ? Travel?

Pensions extra £2.10 on basic pension per week to cover all

Goverment extra 0.75p for food per day

Tell me thats fare

You're right its not fair - you are comparing things that are in no way related or comparable

Its like saying Monkeys at the wildlife park get an extra banana per week (equates to 20% increase in bananas) whereas pensioners only get £2.10 for everything

Tell me that's fair.....

Damn those monkeys!!!

I doubt we will get a reply from FCMR, he's probably off making sure that he hasnt increased his prices more than 3%!

Wrong again, we have not increased our prices for three years, prices are now coming down, but we do offer twelve months interest free credit.

Getting back to first time buyers, by selling the old government houses cheap on condition they are brought up to standard by the buyers would make the FTBs work for what they are getting.

Getting back to first time buyers, by selling the old government houses cheap on condition they are brought up to standard by the buyers would make the FTBs work for what they are getting.

Nah just get some cheap foreign labourers in.....

Is that kind of defeating the object by making the houses themselves affordable to FTBs but forcing them to pay out large amounts getting them brought up to "standard"

Nah just get some cheap foreign labourers in.....

Is that kind of defeating the object by making the houses themselves affordable to FTBs but forcing them to pay out large amounts getting them brought up to "standard"

No its an idea that was brought up in Tynwald.

A FTBs house is costing about £150k now.

Why not sell off the Old houses for say £60k and let the new owner obtain credit on the open market to do the house up, they can also get grants to help out and whats up with a bit of DIY. Ive seen some nice ex Government houses in the UK that have been sold to the sitting tennants who have then done them up to the way they wanted them and for not a big outlay. Owning a house is not a charity and why should others pay for homes for the first time buyers, let them help themselves by working to build a home instead of wanting handouts all the time. Let the Government spend the money on other homes to be rented out to those that cant or dont have the money or health to build a home.

WSAG

Ok you tell me which ones are good and value to the taxpayer who at the end of the day pays for them

Ok Then

Some of the Items to be voted/debated on this week are dodgy.

Legal aid for all.

About time. All citizens of this island have the right to legal representation in our courts, and if they can't afford it it should be made available to them. Definitely good value.

More powers to Tax & Vat officers on cash businesses

Very good value. Its easy for cash run companies to filter funds and not pay the tax or VAT they should so anything that ensures these companies - individuals pay their way is good value.

Planning

Still unsure on this one, but one thing for certain the system needs a revamp.

Governor

Don't really care what he is called, I think the government should get on with discussing things that matter instead of wasting time on things like this.

Ex MHK on 3 Government directorships @ £10kpa

Doesn't sound much to me, works out at less than 20p of my annual tax bill, maybe you could apply for such a job FCMR.

Increase in licence fees for cinematography outlets

Must be value if it brings money in.

Increase in licence fees Music & dancing

Must be value if it brings money in.

extra subsidies for first time buyers

About time, doesn't go far enough in my opinion, but either way it is definitely good value.

Wrong again, we have not increased our prices for three years, prices are now coming down, but we do offer twelve months interest free credit.

That just highlights that your prices were artificially high in the first place.

Geo

Companies in the building trade are not always working on big profits, and the new regs and insurances that we have to pay for eat into any profits that might have been, this does not help to re invest in the company. Someone has to pay for all the increases in labour, materials, power and insurances and I will agree the public are getting sick of it me included. It makes you think is it worth having a business.

Have you not noticed recently that firms are employing more people from off island (non UK) and laying off locals in a bid to operate at a profit.

Our companies insurances are due in Jan and after all the disasters that have occured accross the world, we can and have been told to expect a massive jump in premiums, that cost has to be past on somehow but that aint fare as we are paying for something that happened on the other side of the world.

All of our materials come from of Island and last week on one product alone the rise went up from £11.50 to£16.90 overnight without any warning. Would you expect me to pass this increase on to the client that was given and agreed the price two months ago.

Edit to add materials bought on the Island but supplied from the UK

Just to get back a bit nearer to the topic - isn't it more interesting to look at the things that aren't being debated - fuel prices, MEA, an elected upper chamber of Tynwald etc. etc.

Oil prices went down last week yet the prices at the pump are still the same.

Archived