Edge quits DoI

manxman34

21 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Incidentally this will be an actual pay cut for Edge (unlike Moorhouse who still has a departmental membership) though she will still get a 10% upgrade for the Post Office.

I’d say taking a pay cut would well worth it just to distance yourself. As you say housing is a fairly safe option but no person of sound mind would want to be responsible for anything else within the DOI. Tim Baker is going to be toast in 3 months. 

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Collective responsibility and Dept loyalty tend to be put aside in the run up to an election. Once the campaigning starts, she can really critisise all she wants, that she was not responsible for anyway.

Resigning because of Summerhill is not a bad reason to do so. You would think all Onchan and further north MHKs would have had a chance to comment on this closure.

9 hours ago, manxman34 said:

Julie's packed in after 4 years. An astute move?

Not really. If she thinks she can somehow quit one year before the 2021 elections and come out of it like "Teflon Toohey" (to borrow an expression from Manx Black Pages) pretending she wasn't responsible or a willing participant in all the idiocy that happened in that incompetent department then she is sadly mistaken. I have nothing against her personally but she's not going to be re-elected in 2021 no matter what she does.

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

Guess it would be too much to ask for Quayle to get his fat ass into gear and deal with this ongoing issue with incompetence in DOI before the election next year.

Yes it would be too much because Quayle is a useless knacker who believes that success involves having your ugly mug plastered on an ugly mug produced by the credulous juveniles at Gef the fucking Mongoose.

29 minutes ago, english zloty said:

From what I am hearing 'all those who have tears prepare to shed them (with laughter) now'

New appointment is rumoured from about the only MHK stoopid/egocentric enough.

So hope it is true 

Nooooo not who I'm thinking !!!???? Rumoured to play pool in spare time ???!   

43 minutes ago, english zloty said:

From what I am hearing 'all those who have tears prepare to shed them (with laughter) now'

New appointment is rumoured from about the only MHK stoopid/egocentric enough.

So hope it is true 

To be honest anyone who wants to join that department a year before an election must have a screw loose unless they’re not looking at getting re-elected. I can’t imagine anyone that narcissistic to even chance it. Although it would be a pretty good gauge of narcissism if someone does. It couldn’t be who you seem to be hinting at surely? Aren’t they already on about three other departments already? Or will some of those be the typical 6 week stints before getting kicked off? 

1 hour ago, Uhtred said:

Yes it would be too much because Quayle is a useless knacker who believes that success involves having your ugly mug plastered on an ugly mug produced by the credulous juveniles at Gef the fucking Mongoose.

I'd be curious to find out if they were actually hired by the DfE or cabinet office to help put a sunny spin on the virus

1 hour ago, Numbnuts said:

Nooooo not who I'm thinking !!!???? Rumoured to play pool in spare time ???!   

Might be an absolute masterstroke.  One minute in his company and most of the DOI will be queueing up at the job centre...

15 minutes ago, Tricky said:

Might be an absolute masterstroke.  One minute in his company and most of the DOI will be queueing up at the job centre...

If people are seriously suggesting the pool player then I’d say that perhaps that would be the walnut whip sat right on top of governments biggest turd. 

Edge's reasons for quitting might be motivated by (too late) self-preservation, but if she is being half-truthful, it points to continued poor advice and feeble management and a Minister who is as out of his depth as the CEO. Baker is probably not too threatened in his election prospects since most of the fuck-ups created by DoI directly impact Douglas, which his northern and largely rural electorate are distanced from. His prospects are only really dimmed if the debate shifts to the waste of taxpayers money caused by DoI the abject failure of the responsible politicians to deal with the entrenched incompetence within that Department. Whatever skills Tim Baker has, and they are not readily apparent, making convincing excuses and appeasing the public don't seem to be among them.

1822853913_ScreenShot2020-07-11at09_37_53.png.ce40eb68a07b17844c96034bde5d4f81.png

It appears Rob Callister even wants to be the centre of attention on someone else's interview.

I can only imagine this was Ms Edges Resignation interview, but of all things she never mentioned Mr Callister

The outrage and indignity not to be mentioned.

19 hours ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

I'd be curious to find out if [Gef] were actually hired by the DfE or cabinet office to help put a sunny spin on the virus

It's probably slightly subtler than that.  If you go to their website there are banner ads promoting the Government's Coronavirus advice (something you won't find say on Manx Forums).  No doubt this will be done through some special contract rather than through normal internet advertising channels (which is fair enough - no need to make Google even richer) but it may be fairly lucrative and they won't want to offend their main (maybe only) advertiser.

Then there is the opportunity to print sponsored articles - such as this one is (as you will find out if you make it to the end).  So more Government money.

There are whole industries devoted to this sort of stuff.  It's less about informing or even influencing the public than making those running government and business feel good about themselves.  Think of all those endless award ceremonies. 

Gef was always intended to be this sort of uncritical, lifestyle-type publication, presumably getting money from overpriced shops, selling 'experiences' and the like.  Those writing for it probably don't get paid ("It's all about exposure, darling!") and the money will go into the pockets of the owners.  Presumably it didn't raise enough in normal times, which is why it had gone into abeyance until it was resurrected when the Cabinet Office suddenly had lots of money to spend informing the public.  No doubt they saw a media niche for gushing support rather than reasoned scrutiny and our politicians thought "What's not to love".

Archived