Aircraft Safety

partypolitics

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should have tried for a while Aeroflot after the USSR went toes up.

Or some of the African airlines. Some years ago I was passenger on a nearly full scheduled passenger flight from Lagos - Murtala Muhammed airport to Kinshasa-N´Djili in a beaten up old BAC 1-11 with only ONE person on the flight deck and he was drinking a can of beer.

Closer to home the short lived Air Belfast service between Stanstead and Belfast International was --- an experience!

Hmm, talking of Belfast I was on this flight earlier this month, was an experience to say the least. Mechanical failure I could have dealt with, but pilot error is a whole other can of worms. Getting taken of a plane by a fireman, not something that was on my list of "things to do" for that day.

I took a picture of the plane hanging over the end of the runway, it is not the best but enough to get the idea.

I have to travel to Belfast on occasion for my work, I am so getting the boat next time!

post-1234-1143389979_thumb.jpg

Never really (luckily) had a dodgy flight experience.

Had plenty of dodgy sailing experiences though, the best of which was on a French crewed catamaran on a trip from Jersey to Guernsey in a force 10.

Hey FTL, isn't it every woman's dream to be swept up in a fireman's arms? :P

I think some tossers in big corporation are Scaremongering in order to stop competition. IMO

All companies MUST I assume have to comply with UK regs?

I agree, and considering the slating that British Airways took recently about it's maintenance standards some of them (The big companies) don't really have room to talk. Then, it's always been a bit of a dirty business.

My "unexpert" opinion is that as long as our maintenance standards don't slip to the levels acceptable in places like West Africa there is not really that much of a reason to be concerned and it wouldn't affect my decision as to whether to board an aicraft or not.

The UK is generally one of the most regulated aircraft maintenance authorities in the world. On the face of it all UK aircraft should be in first class condition to operate a public service. However over regulation in itself can be detrimental to safety, as spiralling operating costs lead to older aircraft being utilised to save on capital investment.

Speaking of the Isle of Man, I think the open skies policy does nothing for standards as there are too few customers spread thinly amongst operators.

I met someone off the Luton flight last night and they said that the landing had to be aborted because the previous plane had missed the exit and was still on the runway.... Luton flight had to circle for a while. I've no details on how close the flight was to landing. It could still have been quite a way out. Anyone got any more info?

Party Politics- The information from people on the LPL IOM flight that the return to LPL was due to a baggage hold smoke detector light indicating and not smoke in the cockpit /cabin.

As far as maintenance is concerned the Emerald Aircraft are maintained to the same schedule as the Ex BA ATPs which is approved by the UK CAA. The Emerald ATPs were not the ones operated by BA / Manx and came from the US.

I met someone off the Luton flight last night and they said that the landing had to be aborted because the previous plane had missed the exit and was still on the runway.... Luton flight had to circle for a while. I've no details on how close the flight was to landing. It could still have been quite a way out. Anyone got any more info?

I was on a flight IOM - Heathrow that did that once. We were slowly coming in to land and had to pull up pretty quickly! It wasn't scary though and the pilot didn't seem particularly bothered when he told us why we'd suddenly taken off again.

I belive thats happerned before on an ATP a few years back... it also has a few other features :)

That been said most planes all have and can go wrong, Cholmondley-Warner posted some good sites on the subject.

Trust has to be put in to them that every thing has been done right, updates completed and servicing on time - if not we'll all be paranoid.

In the EU and mainstream contries at least you should find this true.

Terran

PS - If all else fails you can get out and push :)

PPS - I think the above is a bit minor - there are far worse incidents that occur...

Ooh FTL, if you had been on the flight I was on last year to Orlando you would rethink the uniform bit. When we landed fire dept.(?) chaps came on to take off a medical emergency (not a severe one I believe) before we disembarked. In the words of Matt Lucas, Ooh he was gooorgeous!

Wonderful physique, healthy, outdoor active-type tan and sun-blonded hair and that caring look of concerned, professional efficiency that makes you want to offer up your hand with the hangnail and wimper in pain! He was only wearing dept. issue t shirt, trousers with braces and Timberland type boots! But did he wear them well?!

My friend and I just slowly turned to each other and, in unison, mouthed "F**king hell!" and burst out laughing. We really thought that the whole Disney thing may have something for us too. Unfortunately, that was the only fine specimen to be found and the rest of the holiday was spent looking at acres of Lycra-restrained cellulite, our own included!

Ooh FTL, if you had been on the flight I was on last year to Orlando you would rethink the uniform bit. When we landed fire dept.(?) chaps came on to take off a medical emergency (not a severe one I believe) before we disembarked. In the words of Matt Lucas, Ooh he was gooorgeous!

Wonderful physique, healthy, outdoor active-type tan and sun-blonded hair and that caring look of concerned, professional efficiency that makes you want to offer up your hand with the hangnail and wimper in pain! He was only wearing dept. issue t shirt, trousers with braces and Timberland type boots! But did he wear them well?!

My friend and I just slowly turned to each other and, in unison, mouthed "F**king hell!" and burst out laughing. We really thought that the whole Disney thing may have something for us too. Unfortunately, that was the only fine specimen to be found and the rest of the holiday was spent looking at acres of Lycra-restrained cellulite, our own included!

He sounds really gay :P

Not got a thing for Goofy then?

Archived