Aircraft Safety

partypolitics

Ooh FTL, if you had been on the flight I was on last year to Orlando you would rethink the uniform bit. When we landed fire dept.(?) chaps came on to take off a medical emergency (not a severe one I believe) before we disembarked. In the words of Matt Lucas, Ooh he was gooorgeous!

Wonderful physique, healthy, outdoor active-type tan and sun-blonded hair and that caring look of concerned, professional efficiency that makes you want to offer up your hand with the hangnail and wimper in pain! He was only wearing dept. issue t shirt, trousers with braces and Timberland type boots! But did he wear them well?!

My friend and I just slowly turned to each other and, in unison, mouthed "F**king hell!" and burst out laughing. We really thought that the whole Disney thing may have something for us too. Unfortunately, that was the only fine specimen to be found and the rest of the holiday was spent looking at acres of Lycra-restrained cellulite, our own included!

He sounds really gay :P

Would have liked to find out! ;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
snip

As far as maintenance is concerned the Emerald Aircraft are mainteed to the same schedule as the Ex BA ATPs which is approved by the UK CAA. The Emerald ATPs were not the ones operated by BA / Manx and came from the US.

In theory yes

But hypothetically you could have an oxbridge graduate scheduling off one

and a collage of remington graduate scheduling off the other.

Therefore even with the same schedule the output would be extremely different.

I wouldnt like to say all UK airlines maintenance are carried out to the same standards. Some are much better than others. You get what you pay for.

Your correct about the US ATPs. Emerald were going to buy BAs Atps but didnt want to spend x amount.

Instead they went to the US and got some bargain basement planes and then went to Bangledesh and got some even cheaper ones. (the bangledesh planes are only used for cargo though so dont worry).

Reading all comments with interest. I travelled Euro Manx Liverpool - IOM on 13th March. The aircraft was Emerald Airways Charter. On landing at Ronaldsway plane hit the tarmac very heavily and immediately took off again and circled before coming in again and landing safely. It was pretty scary and all we got was a mumbled message from the Pilot. I have written to Euro Manx for an explanation and received a reply to say they have passed the matter on to Emerald.

Reading all comments with interest. I travelled Euro Manx Liverpool - IOM on 13th March. The aircraft was Emerald Airways Charter. On landing at Ronaldsway plane hit the tarmac very heavily and immediately took off again and circled before coming in again and landing safely. It was pretty scary and all we got was a mumbled message from the Pilot. I have written to Euro Manx for an explanation and received a reply to say they have passed the matter on to Emerald.

Why am I always missing the exciting flights? :)

Could be a number of reasons for that, though - I'm no expert, but knowing Ronaldsway, wind might have played a part - crosswind can be a right bitch on final:

Online clip: clickey

alitalia2.mpg

Rather than bouncing down the runway like a rabbit on steroids, the captain might have decided to practice his go-around skills a bit more, and give you another panoramic view in the process - could be wrong, though..

I've shit myself a couple of times coming into land at Ronaldsway with a nasty cross-wind. Its when the pilot compensates and the plane ends up rotating side to side like its on a vertical axle, not a fun experience.

Your correct about the US ATPs. Emerald were going to buy BAs Atps but didnt want to spend x amount.

Instead they went to the US and got some bargain basement planes and then went to Bangledesh and got some even cheaper ones. (the bangledesh planes are only used for cargo though so dont worry).

So are Emerald's planes ok or is there cause for concern ?

They are ATPs so they are a decent regional plane and their pilots seem to be very good so I would say no cause for concern.

I would be more worried about a certain irish companies planes that fly over here. Some of them sound extremely rough, one sounded so bad I thought it was a helicopter going over!

I'm only an amateur pilot, but you're right about crosswinds being a challenge. The plan is to crab in and then use the rudder to straighten up just before your wheels touch down - which makes it all a bit more exciting.

The standard procedure is to abort the landing and go around if it looks too dodgy or you're running out of landing strip - which is relatively easy in a little Piper or Cessna, but jets (and turboprops) take a while to 'spool up' and produce full power.

Archived