Not The Bnp

LoneWolf

I've never understood how that place in Pt.Erin (and now Douglas) managed to attract so many students to study hospitality from as far afield as Asia, and yet, I've never seen any English or Europeans studying there (or at least, walking round in the branded suits). What does the school actually teach, and is it rated highly in the hospitality industry?

I stayed in a hotel in Goa where the manager was a former pupil of the Port Erin school so presumably it enjoys some credibility in India.

You would have to ask the school itself about its business model but I would say, based on my experiences living in the village, the students are generally very pleasant and well mannered. They give little or no trouble and as far as I am concerned they are welcome visitors to the Island.

Presumably the school teaches students about the hotel and hospitality industry.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you have British citizenship [and that includes the Manx] you can live in the EU with no problem.

I can't quite tally that with the stamp saying no right of employment or establishment. I wonder what the legal definition of establishment is?

I stayed in a hotel in Goa where the manager was a former pupil of the Port Erin school so presumably it enjoys some credibility in India.

They give little or no trouble and as far as I am concerned they are welcome visitors to the Island.

Presumably the school teaches students about the hotel and hospitality industry.

I'm not too concerned about their actual business model, it was more their syllabus, e.g do they produce chefs or hotel managers. I was also genuinely trying to find if it was renowed as being a leader in its field, e.g. producing top-class hotel staff. If this is the case, then it is not something I've seen publicised or praised about in the press or by the government.

I agree about the students, in a restaurant I'd prefer a polite, intelligent 'foreign' student over a rude, cannot be arsed Manx/English staff. (Thats not a generalisation about Manx/English staff BTW).

I've never understood how that place in Pt.Erin (and now Douglas) managed to attract so many students to study hospitality from as far afield as Asia, and yet, I've never seen any English or Europeans studying there (or at least, walking round in the branded suits). What does the school actually teach, and is it rated highly in the hospitality industry?

yer, maybe it's realy an Al Qeada training camp. what silly nonsence you speak.

yer, maybe it's realy an Al Qeada training camp. what silly nonsence you speak.

No nonsense, genuine questions. see my other point that you obviously deliberately missed.

EDIT - kneejerk response changed.

If you have British citizenship [and that includes the Manx] you can live in the EU with no problem.

I can't quite tally that with the stamp saying no right of employment or establishment. I wonder what the legal definition of establishment is?

Establishment in this sense is setting up your own business, self-employment.

Establishment in this sense is setting up your own business, self-employment.

had to go look for that other comment, it was in a different box.

on it's own your comment did invite such a reply.

/putting aside my nostalagia for the days when the forum didn't attract polititians, jurnos and those with an axe to grind for a moment

Thanks for the post JS. I think that is pretty close to the feelings of the majority of local residents. They want controls in place so that the character of the Island doesn't change but recognise that some new blood is need to prevent it stagnating.

/nostalgia mode back on.

I agree with Declan, and JS's post .. but there is a real caveat here.

Because nothing looks like it is being done, this plays into the hands of the BNP "idiot squad" who claim that they will do something about "immigration" because MHK's are not. Its moronic, but people will start to buy into it over time if nothing else of substance appears to happen.

We've already had the embarrassing and bizarre case of the loony South African people smuggler so we can't deny that there are problems, most of us know of more. You also have serious issues such as health service funding which is costing the Manx taxpayers £1m a day were we are providing free services for many people who have never paid a penny in NI in their lives. These are not issues to do with race, but issues of fairness and the proper allocation of limited resources etc. Particularly as many Manx people don't even have working or social security rights within the EU and so would not be treated as fairly were we to relocate.

These are hard political decisions which need to be dealt with fairly, and on pure economic terms rather than matters of race. But they need to be dealt with so that we preserve the Manx way of life and the quality infrastructure we have, whilst bringing in people from other walks of life who will add to the successful mix.

If we don't the moron fringe will be back with their hate-filled agendas.

• 2 months later...
It was not publicised do to security risks :D:D

Does this not tell you something about the level of ill feeling towards your party?

Edit: And haha, apparently there were no more than 150 people there, and my source said that's being generous.

David, it is a polite convention of English to use an inititial capital letter for a proper noun describing a nationality, so you should write "Manx", not "manx". Was your mistake caused by a typing error, a lack of familiarity with Mannin, a shaky grasp of English or an insult? No comment on your fantasies, but we don't write british or english.

David, it is a polite convention of English to use an inititial capital letter for a proper noun describing a nationality, so you should write "Manx", not "manx". Was your mistake caused by a typing error, a lack of familiarity with Mannin, a shaky grasp of English or an insult? No comment on your fantasies, but we don't write british or english.

I just put it down to him being a prick.

Archived