Going Back In Time

TrueBlue

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably right Scope, the Maypole was where Dorothy Perkins is now, I think (used to be Etams). You are also right about how Strand Street seemed so much bigger as a child, I suppose that is the same with anything, but I remember there being alot more variety in Strand Street and down along to Castle Street.

There were also three or four Chinese Restaurants (proper sit-in jobs) which, with the cinemas, gave Strand Street more of a centre of town feel than it has now.

Ah, we can all lament what has gone before, but I do love trying to remember how it was during the 60s when I were a lass!

Wasnt there a cinema on Walpole avenue as well, where the AXA building is now? (which looks like something out of Grim Fandango :) )

I dont remember it being a cinema, but I do remember it being Chippertons and you could tell from the shape of the place that it had been a cinema at one stage.

And the Singing Kettle cafe was on the opposite corner :)

Yes, it was called the Royalty (hence Royalty House or whatever the name of the building is now). The Royalty Cinema was at the quay end of Wlapole Ave.

It was also, after being a cinema, the first flat pack/DIY shop on the Island, as you say, Chippertons.

I remember going in there with my parents just after it opened because they wanted some kind of internal doors and my mum was taken with some louvred doors. The assistant kept saying 'arbours muck' and mum was looking very quizzical until my dad interpreted and said 'they attract dust, darling'!

'Arbours muck' became a bit of a catchphrase in our house!

It may well have been by another name prior to Chippertons when Stan Gemmel had it, this was when the slot racing was running above. Josef Karma had his show on there for years, even volunteered for hypnosis mysen!

Can you recall the Temperance bar in Walpole Avenue?

and the side window of Gore's rock shop (where Robbies was, now WHS) where you could see the rock being pulled on the machine

and was it Kermode and Maddrell on the corner of Lord St./Ridgeway St. - sold all sorts of sheets and overalls etc as far as I can remember, had steps up into the doors, one on the corner and one along the side, always seemed dusty wooden floors.

and opposite was it Kelly ?, somewhere about the MEA showroom or the bookies, agricultural / seed merchant I think ? (don't know if it was Thos Kelly's who now moved around the corner and into office supplies ?)

Remember when Manx Radio was under Tom Reece's atmospheric snooker hall, and you could watch Peter Kneale & Co on the air if you bought a ticket to the aquarium which you entered from Castle Street, where Tower House is now?

Used to go at feeding time to watch the octopus swoop onto the crabs and see the minnows gobbled up by all sorts of exotic fish! Got the Bee Gee's and Alan Freeman's autographs there as well!

and that little tiny shop that used to sell tripe and cooked ham, where HSBC is now, on that little slip road up to the old police station. Almost opposite where the policeman used to stand on point duty in a black and white striped box - anyone remember the name of that shop, they were lovely people in there. Wood floors and sawdust - was it Crellin's. If fact, after that shop there was Sara's, then HSBC.

it was Clagues tripe shop, famous for its brawn, when you called with your mam they would give you a slice wrapped in paper to walk with, really peppery.

Frenchies shop was called Parry's and i think his sons still live on the Island,

next time your down check out that corner bay on the first floor, really cool style

You're absolutely right! I didn't like the brawn so they would give me a slice of cooked ham! yummm

What about the Cabin Cafe and Felice's - could make a coke and a chocolate marshmallow biscuit last all Saturday afternoon!

What about the Golden Goose - above the Cabin. What about the Rendevous, where the new apartments are now at the end of the shops, near the Sefton. I was never allowed to go there, can't imagine what my parents thought was going on.

Happy Days!!!!!! :)

Hey, I'm really impressed. I thought I was probably the senior geriatric poster here.Maybe not ,maybe not. ;)

Was the temperance bar in Walpole Avenue the herb beer shop? they sold sasparilla,and hot Friut/herb drinks. Wilkinsons jewellers was at the top end where the Jubilee Cafe is now.

Harold Heaps photography shop in Senna lane ( off Castle Street) He used to send photographers round the pubs. and you could pick up a photo of your drunken self the next day.

Later, circa 1980's, there was the Crows Nest restuarant at the top of the sea terminal building. Run by Carlo.

How about Port Soderick in it's heyday? The little shops as you went towards the beach that sold shrimps in a paper bag. The walk out towards the headland to play in the rock pools.

It may well have been by another name prior to Chippertons when Stan Gemmel had it, this was when the slot racing was running above. Josef Karma had his show on there for years, even volunteered for hypnosis mysen!

Can you recall the Temperance bar in Walpole Avenue?

Chippertons was originally called the Royalty Discount Centre. I remember going in there with my parents many times. You even used to be able to go up to and behind the old cinema screen which was still in place.

I could be getting all cross threaded here, but didn't the Royalty

a ) burn down or

b ) had a gas explosion or

c ) phew!! that's got rid of that little peccadillo

Back on topic:

The Royalty, in the olden days every TT week, always used to show No Limit with George Formby.

Up until about 5 years ago you could just see it for free on Video at the Christian Bikers Association up Broadway. Cup of tea and a bourbon for 50p and as much TT videos as you could watch.

Although even the good ol' God Squad have upped sticks and left now it seems.

Yo Mama !

Yes it was known as the herb beer shop to us kids, they had herb beer, saspirella and dandelion and burdock to burn your voice box out. It had that big mahogany bar and real hand pumps. They used to sell cough sticks and cough candy as well as real liquorice roots for chewing on, they would last for days then you could use them to whitewash your yard!

Looks like theres still a few baby boomers about, i like to think of my age group as saga louts!

Archived