Going Back In Time

TrueBlue

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wasn't that in Devareaux's next to Woolies? (One half of Clinton's as now.) the wood work was painted in a bright yellow.

No, it was in curtis's shop in victoria street, had the pleasure of working there for a short while during the school holidays a million years ago!

But Devareaux's also had a puffer fish in the window.

I remember, vaguely, a fish shop in Victoria Street, but wasn't it just a kipper, cockles, mussels and whelks outlet as opposed to a proper fishmongers?

There was a row of shops at the bottom of Victoria street behind the Villiers hotel, one of them used to sell kippers and shellfish but I think it was open in the summer only. Curtis's fishmongers was at the top of the street opposite Colbourns.

Ahh memories, i remember the rock shop in town and peering through the window as they made the rock. I also remember my Dad taking me to see return of the Jedi at the cinema in town.

I swear i can remember when we watched return of the jedi there was some dude that came out of the front of the stage dressed up like Bib Fortuna!

I also got took to watch ET and i peed my pants (i was 4!) happy days!

[

There was a row of shops at the bottom of Victoria street behind the Villiers hotel, one of them used to sell kippers and shellfish but I think it was open in the summer only. Curtis's fishmongers was at the top of the street opposite Colbourns.

I think it may have been McCourts seafood bar, there was another by the Castle Mona and they sold seafood around the pubs at night. Thr family hailed from Ireland and had a house opposite us in Hope St, summer only occupants.

One of the sights i hated from that era was the dead congers hung up on the prom to promote fishing trips, gawd they stank, i can still smell them now eeeeooowwwww :(

[

I think it may have been McCourts seafood bar, there was another by the Castle Mona and they sold seafood around the pubs at night. Thr family hailed from Ireland and had a house opposite us in Hope St, summer only occupants.

One of the sights i hated from that era was the dead congers hung up on the prom to promote fishing trips, gawd they stank, i can still smell them now eeeeooowwwww :(

Talking of dead congers on the prom - what about the ice cream kiosks along the prom and the deck-chair stands, where the lads would make a "little den" out of the deck-chairs to sit in!

The seafood bar (rather a grand name) at the Castle Mona use to sell great cooked prawns in little poli cups, people would go down there from the Long Bar at the Castle Mona - in the interval when Triad weren't playing and Mike Williams was!

There was a fish shop next to Woolies, selling kippers and they had a wet fish stand with all manner of strange fish that went out onto the street.

You could see rock being made at Gore's Rock Shop.

Wilsons Silver Grill, had me nose to that window many a time, huge joints [ not the smoking kind ] carved in the window boootiful! i could never be a veggie.

Opposite was the Alexander chippy, there was anothe Alexander where the Islander is now, Anyone remember the motto hanging over the fryers?

Give ya a start

If i rest i rust

Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy do IOM Newspaper do it?

Tonights Examiner pullout (E2) has on its front page (p19) a cropped colour photo of the Douglas Head Incline Railway, so I excitedly opened the paper to page 24 and there is the headline "Wonderful illustration of what life was like" and the uncropped photo in dreary greyscale. <_<

Cringle also has the audacity to tell us readers that the image is one of 25 photos (many in colour) from a 1937 copy of National Geographical magazine that he received in the post. Did he include any other photos? No!

I know that colour pages are more expensive to produce, but why do they tease us so? $%*!

It's the National Geographic Magazine, May, 1937, Volume LXXI, No. Five.

Click this "Linky thingie"

Stav.

Talking of dead congers on the prom - what about the ice cream kiosks along the prom and the deck-chair stands, where the lads would make a "little den" out of the deck-chairs to sit in!

Oh those were the days. Making a den out of deckies. Scamming tourists for re-used 20p tickets.

I seem to be working my way around the restaurants !

How about the Villiers Concert Room where the Jazz club met, and I saw Chris Barber and some others,

the Clock Inn with the big wheels in the ceiling, and the late Donald Slee in charge,

and down below, Steve Dawson in the Clarendon Grill

(phone numbers 21889 and 5465)

post-1026-1155859874_thumb.jpg

post-1026-1155859927_thumb.jpg

Archived