• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone remember the shops in Onchan?

I seem to recall

Harry Mather's newsagents / Post Office

Hobday's antique shop

Kenworthy's electical shop

Gary and Barry the barbers (Gary is still going at the top of the But)

I suppose you'd have to add Caley's now as that's no longer with us

Nelly's chippy (Didn't she have big legs?)

There was a cobbler's by Kenyon's Cafe that we used to poke our heads into on the way to Onchan Shcool (Mr Hastie and Miss Peddar) and he used to sprinkle some powder (rubber?) onto his fire and it used to be like sparklers

and a sweet shop beside the cinema in the top of Royal Ave, before it bacame Skillicorn's builders offices

Ah, the cinema. Paul Aldrige had his first shop there, think it used to be open only on Saturdays as he worked for the Post Office during the week

I see the shop that used to be Hadman's (Dodds Stores?) at the top of the But has gone back to a house now.

and Martin's Bank on the top corner

Doh! I forgot that, my father used to work there.

Wasn't there a newsagents (Moyer's?) on Governor's Road? Probably where the roundabout or Coutt's is now

More recently Corkill's had a shop on Main road but that's gone, as has their Ramsey shop

I seem to recall some shops where the Ocnhan Library is but can't remember much detail

and a sweet shop beside the cinema in the top of Royal Ave, before it bacame Skillicorn's builders offices

Ah, the cinema. Paul Aldrige had his first shop there, think it used to be open only on Saturdays as he worked for the Post Office during the week

I see the shop that used to be Hadman's (Dodds Stores?) at the top of the But has gone back to a house now.

and Martin's Bank on the top corner

Doh! I forgot that, my father used to work there.

Wasn't there a newsagents (Moyer's?) on Governor's Road? Probably where the roundabout or Coutt's is now

More recently Corkill's had a shop on Main road but that's gone, as has their Ramsey shop

I seem to recall some shops where the Ocnhan Library is but can't remember much detail

Wasn't there a newspaper shop called Mathers. Horsley the greengrocers, Quirks the bakers. There was a wonderful grocers (was it Dexters or Victoria Stores) that sold things in wooden tubs and had cooked hams hanging from rails at the top of Royal Avenue. There was a chemist, can't remember the name. Wasn't there an Elders the bakers on the land thats opposite the Co-Op now? I think there was a launderette in what was Horsley's greengrocers. Can't remember any more of the shops where the library is now, how sad!

Anyone remember the shops in Onchan?

I seem to recall

Harry Mather's newsagents / Post Office

Hobday's antique shop

Kenworthy's electical shop

Gary and Barry the barbers (Gary is still going at the top of the But)

I suppose you'd have to add Caley's now as that's no longer with us

Nelly's chippy (Didn't she have big legs?)

There was a cobbler's by Kenyon's Cafe that we used to poke our heads into on the way to Onchan Shcool (Mr Hastie and Miss Peddar) and he used to sprinkle some powder (rubber?) onto his fire and it used to be like sparklers

Good grief Old Git - you must be my era - nevermind Mr Hastie and Miss Peddar - what about Miss Devereau and the way she use to throw chalk and bang on the very large windows so hard they bent!

Back in Douglas - and a bit of a challenge. I remember a grocery store in Victoria Street where the butter was weighed and 'patted' into shape before being sold. I think it was simply called 'Victoria Stores' but I'm not certain as I was fairly young then. Can anyone else remember it?

Most of our groceries came from Cretney Bros on the North Quay at the bottom of Ridgeway Street - a place with sawdust on the floor, blue bags to weigh sugar, rice, lentils etc into, wonderful smells - and cheap broken biscuits.

The rest came from the Cafe - the one where Douglas Golf Club is now - run by the O'Hanlon family - and a genuine neighbourhood shop.

Wasn't there a newspaper shop called Mathers.

I remember Harry Mather's quite well. I think his son used to be in Black Mass and then his son is my parent's gardner

Can't remember any more of the shops where the library is now, how sad!

I have a vague recollection of a corner type shop, appropriately on the corner of Nursery Avenue and Main Road

what about Miss Devereau and the way she use to throw chalk and bang on the very large windows so hard they bent!

I can't remeber her, but the name seems to ring a vague bell

there was Mr Gibson's Chemist over near Corkill's garage and Richard Corkill used to work in the chemist with Mr Gibson.

I'd forgotten about Gibson's Chemist. I think our GP was in Governors Road (can't remember his name) and we always went to Gibsons. I remember when my father had built a concrete pond and we went to Gibsons to get some big brown bottles of acid to neturalise it. I guess you couldn't to that today? I can't remember Richard Corkill working there but I have this mental image of Granville in Open All Hours :D

Alexander chippie:

If I rest I rust

If I rust I bust

No rest no rust

No rust no bust

The paintings were done by Dusty Miller.

Excellent Max, spot on :) When i was a kid i had no idea what it meant but now im older and wiser i am just as bloody confused :rolleyes:

I seem to remember the guy there was called Pete Moy (Moye) and he used to deliver the papers in his Mini Moke.

[butting in...]

It is the often resurected threads like this that prompted me to write previously:

Idealy, there would be a centrally located server with an all encompassing 'official' database about the Island.

Along side this would run 'User contributed' information (a la Wiki) and chat/forums.

There is so much information out there which is fragmented over thousands of sites and locations.

...A site with all the old photos and any video footage, with user comments.

Mapbuilder.net makes it easy for members to produce Google Maps with placemarkers and pop up text boxes that can contain brief details and links to other pages.

On the downside, Google doesn't have roadmaps of the Isle of Man and the Satellite image doesn't zoom close enough. This is a pity because it would be simple to register a user name and add all of the above places and memories for anyone to read.

It is possible to make an overlay that would zoom closer, but it needs image software such Paintshop Pro to 'slice' the map into tiles but this is beyond my level of knowledge (and I don't have PSP).

[butting out...]

Archived