Why Do People Drive So Slowly?

ourtess

So, back on thread - far better to have at least the freedom that you are able, if ever you so desire, to take a bike up on the mountain and ride at a speed you feel comfortable with.

It doen't mean you have to do it.

It doesn't mean you have to write on internet forums to say you have done it.

But it is a massive freedom and privilege to know that you could do it. For now anyway and for always I hope.

Much as I've disagreed with a lot of your previous comments on this thread I'm actually inclined to agree with the above.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its stupid to even have a "Fastest You've Driven On Island Roads" thread,

I didn't intend it to be a stupid thread. As a part time blow-over I was interested in the subject, as such freedom is not granted in England.

An R plated chav blasting through Douglas at 25 mph in first gear is more dangerous than any of the honest posters who admit to one go at 130 mph on the derestricted mountain.

:lol: Can you really use the word "blasting" when describing someone doing 25mph?

So really apart from damaging the internals of your car's engine and making alot of noise, What you're saying is, Its safer to do 130mph on the mountain than driving at 25mph in douglas?

Hello All, new on here and about to stand in the firing line!!

I, like most others on the mountain, enjoy 'putting my foot down' when conditions permit and most of us have done that at some time or another. I thought I was daring doing 90 but feel quite restrained now.

I've no problem with speed on the mountain as long as people are aware of what they and their vehicle are capable of and are not, as Jeremy Clarkson described as 'high performance cars with low performance drivers'.

Tootling is just as dangerous as people take risks to get past you.

Okay, I'm ready, bullet proof vest is on, ......

It used to be brilliant here until Arthur and Doris from f**k knows where retired here and clogged the roads in their brown Mondeos doing 40mph. These are the only people campaining for an all Island speed limit because they are dullards who think that moving to the Isle of Man gives them the right to live in the 1950's. They are the same people who hate immigration, think work permits are unfair, and complain about the cost of getting off the Island.

So your blinkered logic says because we now live in the 21st century and traffic on the roads has tripled/quadrupled+ over the last 50 odd years, we should all be blasting round like twats trying to set personal best times every time we get in a car/on a bike

I have a proper car. Not a remote controlled one. I think that gives me the right to comment on what is wrong with the road system here.

When you get a proper car maybe you could have an opinion.

cock

I thought it was 1 person who mentioned people going at 40mph, not "many" mentioning 50mph? :P

Quotes?

Lol @ Cret, if you think I'm rising to that one. Split those hairs man, lol...

I'm taking the piss of course, but the total absence of quotes in your reply makes a point I think.

Last time I checked "one" and "many" have very different meanings indeed but I stand to be corrected there of course... :P

This is far from being the only thread blaming slow drivers for all and sundry, but I really can't be bothered trawling through them. Suffice to say that if someone, who happens to be travelling at eg 100+ mph is approaching a slower vehicle, it's almost irrelevant whether the latter is doing 40 or 50. And anyway, girl 89 said 50 was the quickest not the average.

Yes I suppose there are other threads where slow driving (more importantly I think slow and inconsiderate/oblivious/ignorant driving specifically) is mentioned as a problem.

If you were travelling at 100 and you see a car ahead which is going 50 then unless you were ona twisty country lane (unlikely at that speed) then it wouldn't be a problem. It's physically the same as travelling at 50 and seeing a car stopped up ahead - you don't exactly say "Oh shit I'm going too fast and I'm going to crash into them!" you simply slow down and either pass them when it's safe/clear to do so or stay behind if not.

No-one would mention this if the latter was the case yet with the former it sounds worse even though the difference in speed is the same.

What's girl89 got to do with it anyway (sorry if I missed something)?

Going along the mountain road today and a honda r type went past at must have been 100+... not going to say what vehicle i drive but was totally jealous.. actually felt it as it went by, looked fookin great!

The fastest on my bike was 105mph, and that was a case of hang on and hope with my knees up around my ears.

However, on a modern sports bike, I found it easy to be doing a 100+ without any real sensation of speed.

And therein lays the problem.

Just to clarity and lighten the mood, the last time I did 105mph on my own bike was in TT week in 1978. Absolutely flat out, and every British nut and bolt was rattling. And why did I do that?

Because as I went round the Creg, a Martini Yamaha sliced through on my inside, going about twice my speed, and leaning over at twice my angle.

It was the great Mike Hailwood, putting in some practice laps on his road bike. So I chased him down to Brandish, willing to burst the engine, in the vain hope of getting close to him.

It had to be done.

Needless to say he was round Brandish before I got to Sunny Orchard.

The British nuts and bolts are still rattling, Sadly unlike Mike, they can still get to Brandish.

This thread has been the best ever for proving that an all-Island speed limit is needed - to protect us older and wiser road users from the excesses of your testosterone-fuelled, thrill-seeking excesses. I, and many others, have been there, done it, and are now intolerant. So there!

Brakes, experience and observation are the keys to going fast. A modern car or bike, well maintained and equipped with ABS can stop from 100 mph is a few seconds.

A 25 mph R plate boy, screaming along in first or second gear in a car that was last serviced in '92, typing in a text message on his walkie talkie, often does not stop before he hits something (that he didn't see).

Then the person he hits is shipped to Lancaster Royal Infirmary to catch MRSA.

Archived