Why Do People Drive So Slowly?

ourtess

You cant spend you life in a cardboard box forever - life is for the living!

I agree, I just don't like the idea of my son growing up without a dad when it could be avoided.

When he is a bit older I will be on two wheels again ready to turn myself into oh so much road pate!

I will be putting the sprog on a motocross by the time he is five to help make him a safer road rider when he is old enough to get a license. He's bike mad!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heading up towards the Creg , reached 175 mph on my Honda Fireblade. May have gone faster but kept my eyes on the road after that quick check. :rolleyes:
202mph on sulby straight about a week ago :ph34r: but you have to be carefull as you enter the 30 limit as there is a right kink just after it .
120mph in my Golf
127Mph in my car, a bit hairy but i know the road like the back of my hand (co-driver)
mines 120mph down from the Bungalow
There is a time and a place for speed and IOM has it all! Over the mountain I had 165 MPH on my Aprilia RSVR
140 mph down the ballahmohda in my car (in the days b4 the stupid limit)

120mph up the mountian mile and down to the creg on my bike, bike can go much faster but i aint got the balls (YET!)

Years ago when I was 17 I did 120 mph down the Ballamoda. However I wouldn't even dream of doing that these days, its far far too dangerous which I have come to realise with age and a bit more sense.
170 on the Ballamoda before it was restricted.
120mph on my baby MITO down CREG
140 is very easily done on mountain road on a bike and in my opinion is no more dangerous than doing 70 in a fiesta.
149mph along the mountain mile on my CBR 600 FW (1998), because I could and there was no traffic whatsoever with perfect riding conditions.

Always remember the phrase:

"That Tynwald is of the opinion that the Isle of Man Government should, as a priority, introduce legislation to establish an all-Island speed limit".

Now you know why.

Nipper, you're an arse.

I cant remember this thread being about an all island speed limit?

SPEED FTW

Oh, and as obviously you dont read peoples comments, just pick out the bits you want to see, the 202mph claim above was in a computer game...moron

Nipper, you're an arse.

SPEED FTW

Oh, and as obviously you dont read peoples comments, just pick out the bits you want to see, the 202mph claim above was in a computer game...moron

Indeed, the thread is not about a Speed Limit but you would do well to consider that subject. It is big mouths that have contributed to this thread that will cause an All Island Speed Limit to be brought in. We will remember you.

202mph on a computer game...never.....

How silly of me. I now realise that most of the others must surely have been on a computer game too.

Whatever. But gobbing off about how fast you have traveled on open public roads really is for little boys. Unfortunately those same boys have big poweful toys that are for real. Try spending a bit of time picking up bits of broken head and other such pieces off the road, then you might see.

If the mountain road was in the UK the speed limit would be 60 mph maximum with revenue collecting speed cameras at the fastest bits.

It's so easy to ban things, the advocates of an all island limit just want to turn the IOM into 'Little Britain'.

God forbid.

Nipper, you're an arse.

SPEED FTW

Indeed, the thread is not about a Speed Limit but you would do well to consider that subject. It is big mouths that have contributed to this thread that will cause an All Island Speed Limit to be brought in. We will remember you.

202mph on a computer game...never.....

How silly of me. I now realise that most of the others must surely have been on a computer game too.

Whatever. But gobbing off about how fast you have traveled on open public roads really is for little boys. Unfortunately those same boys have big poweful toys that are for real. Try spending a bit of time picking up bits of broken head and other such pieces off the road, then you might see.

gobbing off?

No. I don’t think so. a question was asked to which replies were given.

If you have no experience of driving & riding at speed then who the fuck are you to say that its unsafe?

When was the last time an accident happened at speed's over a ton? its fuckwit driving at slow to mediocre speeds which causes accidents not a few guy/girls who enjoy winding the throttle on a bit.

Yes, you get a few cunts who are thrashing around the roads in a suicidal manner but you also get bunch of cunts who will tootle along in a convoy over the mountain at 40mph hanging a couple of meters of the car in fronts bumper& peform stupid manovers without looking.

Speed does not kill

Fuckwit driving & riding kills

Lets not forget George Formby! I blame him for my excessive speed now and again due to the No Limit film which was filmed in the IOM. Never mind blaming everybody we are just following the mentor................ George the rebel!!!! No brakes, no brakes..............mother ;-)

When was the last time an accident happened at speed's over a ton? its fuckwit driving at slow to mediocre speeds which causes accidents not a few guy/girls who enjoy winding the throttle on a bit.

I didn't want to get drawn into this thread (as it seems to be turning into a barrage of abuse aimed at each other) but that has to be one of oddest things I've read in recent times. I like going fast and have had the points (in England) to prove it but I think common sense dictates that overly fast driving is as dangerous as overly slow driving. Slow drivers tend to annoy people in making rash decisions and errors whilst the stopping distances and handling of vehicles can be seriously compromised at high speed. The simple fact is that the chances of surviving a car or bike crash reduce the faster you travel.

I think people need to realise that the public highway is not a race track, killing yourself and others for the sake of quick thrill is just not worth it.

Yes, you get a few cunts who are thrashing around the roads in a suicidal manner but you also get bunch of cunts who will tootle along in a convoy over the mountain at 40mph hanging a couple of meters of the car in fronts bumper& peform stupid manovers without looking.

Speed does not kill

Fuckwit driving & riding kills

It used to be brilliant here until Arthur and Doris from f**k knows where retired here and clogged the roads in their brown Mondeos doing 40mph. These are the only people campaining for an all Island speed limit because they are dullards who think that moving to the Isle of Man gives them the right to live in the 1950's. They are the same people who hate immigration, think work permits are unfair, and complain about the cost of getting off the Island.

Years ago when I was 17 I did 120 mph down the Ballamoda. However I wouldn't even dream of doing that these days, its far far too dangerous which I have come to realise with age and a bit more sense.

In more recent times I dont go much above 70 and thats only when I am coming home in the early hours of the morning with barely any other traffic on the road.

ditto! - I think i managed 130 it was about 3am... thinking back now, it was probably the most stupid thing ever, but it was such a buzz!!

It used to be brilliant here until Arthur and Doris from f**k knows where retired here and clogged the roads in their brown Mondeos doing 40mph. These are the only people campaining for an all Island speed limit because they are dullards who think that moving to the Isle of Man gives them the right to live in the 1950's. They are the same people who hate immigration, think work permits are unfair, and complain about the cost of getting off the Island.

So your blinkered logic says because we now live in the 21st century and traffic on the roads has tripled/quadrupled+ over the last 50 odd years, we should all be blasting round like twats trying to set personal best times every time we get in a car/on a bike

So your blinkered logic says because we now live in the 21st century and traffic on the roads has tripled/quadrupled+ over the last 50 odd years, we should all be blasting round like twats trying to set personal best times every time we get in a car/on a bike

I have a proper car. Not a remote controlled one. I think that gives me the right to comment on what is wrong with the road system here.

When you get a proper car maybe you could have an opinion.

I didn't want to get drawn into this thread (as it seems to be turning into a barrage of abuse aimed at each other) but that has to be one of oddest things I've read in recent times. I like going fast and have had the points (in England) to prove it but I think common sense dictates that overly fast driving is as dangerous as overly slow driving. Slow drivers tend to annoy people in making rash decisions and errors whilst the stopping distances and handling of vehicles can be seriously compromised at high speed. The simple fact is that the chances of surviving a car or bike crash reduce the faster you travel.

I think people need to realise that the public highway is not a race track, killing yourself and others for the sake of quick thrill is just not worth it.

I like mojomonkey's point of view as a concluding post.( I assume that was it's intention)

With regards to this thread, a question was asked and the people who answered it and have been chastised in response. Understandably, with the varying points of view on this forum, some people are upset by the speeds quoted. I may be new here but surely this would be more suited to a separate thread addressing these issues? :unsure:

Archived