Why Do People Drive So Slowly?

ourtess

202mph on sulby straight about a week ago :ph34r: but you have to be carefull as you enter the 30 limit as there is a right kink just after it .

on/in what exactly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure it was on a Playstation.

exactly,my m8 can do a 120mph average in the REAL TT on a race prepared bike,he is doing 195mph tits out through sulby :rolleyes:

Gearing maybe? Didn't Mr Anstey manage 206 mph on this straight last year, on a Suzuki GSX1000?

exactly my point,digga at 202 mph on open roads :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, too many posts to quote and reply to.

Yes I do have a sports bike and have always had one probably before many of the gobby bastards on this thread had a bike at all.

There have been many times I have been for a spin over the Sloc or round the course with a few other bikes. Sat in the pub that evening I always found it amusing to hear the tales of how fast we was all doing. It seemed to go up 10mph after each pint. Ya see, I wasn't much different as a pimply faced youth or even in my 20s. I never used to contradict the stories I heard though, I just kept quiet and went along with the flow.

Enjoy your trip.

So you're totally ignoring the point that it's very easy to reach the speeds you claim are impossible on the roads here despite claiming to have a 'sports bike' yourself? Does it have drop handlebars and a deraileur by any chance?!!

You really must be deluded. Fair enough there might be a few claims in the 150+region that are perhaps exaggerated - I don't know. What I do know is there are a great many cars & bikes that will do these speeds extremely easily these days, and in a fairly short space.

I don't get up to those sort of speeds myself really, but I have gone up to about 130 in the past and I know it's very easy to do without any kind of bragging or showing off factor, I'm simply stating facts. If you want to believe that modern vehicles stop accelerating at 100 or something odd like that then carry on being a mong all you like. :rolleyes:

I think the person being most gobby on here is you incidentally. You're accusing a lot of people of being liars & bullshitters when

a) they have no good reason to (especially bearing in mind that most people realise claiming to have driven fast is likely to get them flamed), and

b ) There's plenty that have the means to do so very easily.

Strikes me that you are the one that's full of shit, or just out to get a bite from people.

149mph along the mountain mile on my CBR 600 FW (1998), because I could and there was no traffic whatsoever with perfect riding conditions.

I have to agree with some of the trolls though, sooner or later something will happen that you cannot prepare for and at speeds of 100mph+ it's game over.

Since my son was born I have been banned from owning a bike..... :angry:

sooner or later something will happen that you cannot prepare for

Isnt that life generally though.

You cant spend you life in a cardboard box forever - life is for the living! Im not directing that at you personally, its just a thought.

149mph along the mountain mile on my CBR 600 FW (1998), because I could and there was no traffic whatsoever with perfect riding conditions.
149mph…right. Not 150,but 149. Seems a bit more plausible when you don’t round it up doesn’t it. Still a load of bollocks though.

And Cret – I did not say it was impossible to do such speeds. Try reading my posts before gobbing off yourself.

Anyway, the gobshiters on this forum should always remember an attempt in Tynwald:

"That Tynwald is of the opinion that the Isle of Man Government should, as a priority, introduce legislation to establish an all-Island speed limit".

(John Shimmin, Tynwald 16th June 1998). Link is here: page 58 http://www.tynwald.org.im/papers/hansards/.../th16061998.pdf

Geoff Cannell reknowned TT commentator, journalist and brand new MHK was called to give his maiden speech to the motion. If anyone knows then surely Geoff knows, eh.

Page 70 of the linked document will give you Geoff’s long ramblings on the subject but here is an extract

Now, I shall not win many friends amongst my fellow motorcyclists, and I do not deny that I have done 100 miles an hour over the mountain on a motorcycle, not very recently but not all that long ago either, and I do not flinch from saying it is one fantastic thrill to be doing it, but I know that above a reasonable speed I am using all my so-called expertise to control that machine, and I know that travelling at such speeds is dangerous. I do not flinch from that. When you get over 90 miles an hour on a motorcycle, unless you are a top racing motorcyclist, you are on the limit, and that totally ignores the views of any other road user. Even going up the mountain mile on a clear day with no other traffic, you are pushing your luck at 100 miles an hour.

Aye, even Geoff couldn't resist a quick brag about his manly exploits on the mountain - in Tynwald too eh! He certainly had a captive audience though.

To the disappointmnet of Geoff & Co. the Tynwald motion was lost by the absolute possible narrowest of margins. Think about that next time you are buzzing about on the bike, enjoying the freedom of our roads. And spare a thought for Geoff who for some reason was not returned to the House of Keys at the next election......

People who gob off on Internet forums and the like about how fast they have travelled on our roads are simply feeding fuel to the Pro Speed Limit lobby. Maybe they want the 60mph limit to be enforced so they can safely continue their dubious bragging without the possibility and embarrassment of proving it. They could even add 20mph to their top speed like the drunks in the pubs do after each pint.

To give Geoff some credit though, he did point out the following incident, which I think has been referred to on this thread.

The biggest crash which I feel influenced opinion in recent times was the one which

involved the driver of a small van heading over the mountain to Ramsey, innocently heading

home from work during the 1997 TT Races, and he was struck at 100 miles an hour or more

by a motorcyclist. The primary cause of that was not speed; the primary cause of that accident

was that the rider was on the wrong side of the road. He could have been doing that speed

and been on the correct side of the road and, if he had the necessary skill, have got round the

mountain box corner, presumably, but he did not. That was caused by that. So we are not

going to take that away, because if that rider would have hit that van at 60 miles an hour on

the wrong side of the road, probably the same result would have happened. So that is not the

be-all and end-all of it.

Can someone explain to me why 100mph is the golden figure that's always quoted in these debates? Is it like the earth being flat thing? Travelling at the golden 100mph or even 40mph can be equally as dangerous in the wrong hands.

Me? I like to drive, I also like to drive quickly at times although I'm not going to quote figures. It's just the 100mph thing that confuses me and most of the time it's the pro speed limit people (the people that think a speed limit will change the entire planet, stop global warming/climate change/climate shift etc) that spout off quoting 100mph as if that speed is the boundry of mankind.

Someone wrote: If anyone knows then surely Geoff knows, eh.

No, because of : When you get over 90 miles an hour on a motorcycle, unless you are a top racing motorcyclist, you are on the limit

Bizarre claim, perhaps it's writen in a book passed down from the greek gods that only (former) MHK's have access to?

149mph…right. Not 150,but 149. Seems a bit more plausible when you don’t round it up doesn’t it. Still a load of bollocks though.

Most sports bikes have an LCD speedo FFS. TBH the 170 that I mentioned before was actually 167MPH. Cos the LCD readout said so. Idiot.

149 because I had a digital speedo fitted and that was the reading. I was not bragging, i was answering the topic as well as putting forward that i do not think it is a safe or reasonable speed at which to travel and as a matter of fact it scared me shitless. Hence why i have never done it since.

Well fastest i have been was on the mountain mile 160mph on me m8's bike.

Now i am lucky to go faster than 60mph lol, the madness of youth :lol:

And Cret – I did not say it was impossible to do such speeds. Try reading my posts before gobbing off yourself.

Perhaps not using those exact words no but you have repeatedly (and still are) implying it's implausible that people can/will travel at any sort of speed like 100mph or higher which is the biggest load of crap that's been spouted on here.

I'm not vaguely condoning travelling at superfast speeds here, just making the point that you implying it's difficult to do so and that anyone who claims to have is a liar is at best a shit attempt at trolling.

Much more likely however from your repeated "gobshite" comments it's just chronic spastification on your part if you actually believe what you're saying, and believe that the people with the figures are the gobsites, rather than it being you for calling them.

:whatever:

Much more likely however from your repeated "gobshite" comments it's just chronic spastification on your part if you actually believe what you're saying, and believe that the people with the figures are the gobsites, rather than it being you for calling them.

:whatever:

Just PLONK the Moron!

Archived