Why Do People Drive So Slowly?

ourtess

So if it's 'safe' to do 150mph on our roads :lol: then on that dreadfully busy autobahn you could quite safely tazz around at what, 500, 600mph?

Unless you're heading west and meet up with Panzers heading eastwards!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did about 95 over south barrule to Round Table, but was on closed roads on a shout with my doctor, overtook the ambulance entering Ronague Hairpin, then later had to do it all again with the roads-open plates on ;) - they gave me 10 mins to open an 11 min stage :P

This seems about the only reasonable post in the topic.

There is no road anywahere on the Island that is anything like reasonably safe to drive at over 120mph. (let alone possible - judging by some of the rubbish that has been regurgitated in the thread)

Anyone who says they have driven more than 100-120mph is either talking absolute bullshit or if not, then they should have their vehicle taken off them, there is no way in the world the Isle of Man B roads (that is what they are at very best) can possibly be anything like safe to drive on at much over 100mph, whatever super dooper vehicle you think you own.

As David Cretney says, if you want to do that sort of speed on our roads go and get a race licence and enter the Manx Grand Prix. But many loudmouths won't because they are just that - loudmouths.

There is no road anywahere on the Island that is anything like reasonably safe to drive at over 120mph. (let alone possible - judging by some of the rubbish that has been regurgitated in the thread)

Anyone who says they have driven more than 100-120mph is either talking absolute bullshit or if not, then they should have their vehicle taken off them,

Let the flaming begin! :D

Are you really suggesting that it's not actually possible for a vehicle to reach a speed of 120mph+ over here? That's what it sounds like. If you're saying it's not actually possible on the roads here then presumably there are a huge number of wildly inaccurate speedometers and really bad monitoring of TT bikes etc.

Totally aside from the question of whether it's safe to do so - If you really believe that it's in any way difficult or rare for people to go these kind of speeds on manx roads (closed or open) then you're either:

1) Incredibly naiive, or

2) Incredibly dim, or

3) Both.

It's extremely easy for people to go these speeds and I'm sure these sort of speeds are going on every day.

Whether it's safe or not is another question, but to think it's at all difficult makes it sound like you just arrived here from the 1920s or something. :P

I decline your offer of a pillion as I expect you are, like most TT visitors, very inexperienced at riding motorcycles at very high speeds.

What a sweeping statment.

You obviously dont have a clue!

Ok, I stand to be corrected. Where do non road racers gain experience of riding bikes at 150+mph if they don't live on the Isle of Man?

On a track, a LOT of sportsbike/ superbike riders do track days very regulary on a lot of professional cicuits. The Superbike School is run by ex racers and they TEACH you ride quickly and safely.

Also, in most of mainland europe high speeds are tolerated a lot more than in the UK.

So there is two to start with.

did about 95 over south barrule to Round Table, but was on closed roads on a shout with my doctor, overtook the ambulance entering Ronague Hairpin, then later had to do it all again with the roads-open plates on ;) - they gave me 10 mins to open an 11 min stage :P

Anyone who says they have driven more than 100-120mph is either talking absolute bullshit or if not, then they should have their vehicle taken off them, there is no way in the world the Isle of Man B roads (that is what they are at very best) can possibly be anything like safe to drive on at much over 100mph, whatever super dooper vehicle you think you own.

Have you ever BEEN on a modern sports bike???

I dont know what the speed was but I have maxed out my GSXR600 on the mountain mile when there was no traffic and it was no problem at all. The bikes are DESIGNED to go this fast, and therefor its safe(ish) to do so. You can also scrub the speed off a hell of a lot faster than you would think.

On a clear road with good visibiltity there is no problem at all going at least twice the UK national limit.

If you think differently, you dont know what your talking about.

Admittedly its on closed roads, but how fast do you think race bikes go when they average almost 130mph for a whole lap?

I somehow think they are doing a bit more than 120mph on the straights.

On a straight road with clear visibility, with no other traffic, on/in a machine capable of 170mph plus, why do you regard going in excess of 120 mph dangerous?

I dont think you really live up to your name nipper, unless you like going around pinching people?

Most have not said car or bike. 120 mph on a modern bike is pretty much achievable in more than a few places on the mountain, on the Ballamodha, and the straight out of Glen Helen and other places to. Your looking at 0-60 times of about 3 secs on these machines its not hard to pull 120+ in a very short space of time.

Cars are a bit different but if you've got a serious piece of kit there are a few places on the mountain and elsewhere you can do it. Is it irresponsible? Yes. But until we all get forced into being kagool wearing Smart Car drivers people are going to do it.

Speed is in the blood for many locals who grew up on the bike racing, or the rallying, or Go-karting. I was lucky enough to pass my test in the 80's when the roads were empty - that spirit is still here - the roads might be clogged up with traffic but they are still great roads many of them I know like the back of my hand - but you cannot take the risks that you used to nor should you.

So if i say my top speed was 120. The qualification would be that it was in 1989 at six in the morning on the mountain in a borrowed Rover Vistesse. No traffic, little chance of oncoming traffic, and very clear conditions. It would be the only stretch I would ever push it on. AND I wouldn't do it now anywhere.

202mph on sulby straight about a week ago :ph34r: but you have to be carefull as you enter the 30 limit as there is a right kink just after it .

on/in what exactly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure it was on a Playstation.

202mph on sulby straight about a week ago :ph34r: but you have to be carefull as you enter the 30 limit as there is a right kink just after it .

exactly,my m8 can do a 120mph average in the REAL TT on a race prepared bike,he is doing 195mph tits out through sulby :rolleyes:

And its not true, the TAS Suzuki wont even pull over 200 on the Sulby.

Unless you are using the boost cheat.

but wasn't Anstey clocked at 206mph on Sulby Straight this year? I'm sure I heard that.

Edited to say - I just realised you're talking about the game, my apologies!

exactly,my m8 can do a 120mph average in the REAL TT on a race prepared bike,he is doing 195mph tits out through sulby :rolleyes:

Gearing maybe? Didn't Mr Anstey manage 206 mph on this straight last year, on a Suzuki GSX1000?

Archived