Why Do People Drive So Slowly?

ourtess

I haven't been here long and was horrified to find out there was a vote on speed limits being introduced a few months after arriving. I've got a car and bike, If I'm on an unrestricted road, and am going fast I watch the road, not my speedo. You have to because round the next corner might be one of those brown Mondeos going at 27mph, or just as likely stationary, admiring the views. This is OK though, because they usually put their hazard flashers on.

The thing is, when I want to go fast, someone is always in the way, if I want to tootle about slowly, someone (usually with an R plate) is right up my arse. I've got the solution, LISTEN TO THIS, EVERYBODY.....what the IOM needs is a minimum speed limit on the unrestricted roads, digital signs so limits can be changed according to fog, etc. Anyone driving below these limits need to be birched, bring back the birch.......

problem solved

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hot air balloons fitted with lasers are the way forward - drive too slow and you get zapped, drive like a dickhead and you get zapped - drive fast but according to the prevailing conditions and you're okay.

Laser balloons - it's all you need.

It used to be brilliant here until Arthur and Doris from f**k knows where retired here and clogged the roads in their brown Mondeos doing 40mph. These are the only people campaining for an all Island speed limit because they are dullards who think that moving to the Isle of Man gives them the right to live in the 1950's. They are the same people who hate immigration, think work permits are unfair, and complain about the cost of getting off the Island.

So your blinkered logic says because we now live in the 21st century and traffic on the roads has tripled/quadrupled+ over the last 50 odd years, we should all be blasting round like twats trying to set personal best times every time we get in a car/on a bike

You see this is where I have a problem with the "anti-speed" lot - just because you don't agree with an all-island speed limit and/or like to drive or ride fast sometimes, it doesn't automatically equate to "blasting round like twats" like you've said there. Granted, there are people who do blast around like twats but as far as I'm concerned there is a vast difference between them and someone like myself who likes to put his foot down occasionally where conditions permit. I value my life and I value everyone else's life too so I don't appreciate someone who is effectively suggesting that I don't.

Seems like Arthur and Dorris and all the other brown mondeo drivers are SAFELY tucked up in bed by now. A good nights sleep is of paramount importance if one wishes to keep ones observational skills perfectly honed.

They generally observe a 19 mile tailback of frustrated drivers behind them in their rear view mirrors, their constant tutting and looking in their mirror explains why they wander all over the road (as if they've just drunk 2 bottles of scotch) and make it so difficult to overtake them.

The good news is that tomorrow is SUNDAY. They'll be out in force.

oops, you're so right, however, I call this my Sat night shift, cos I'm still at work, working hard obviously.

I'm just about to stop serving 43 drunk rugby players and tell them to go to bed, and stop talking shit, (probably won't mention that last bit though) As I'm the only member of staff here, I just might get some abuse

You see this is where I have a problem with the "anti-speed" lot - just because you don't agree with an all-island speed limit and/or like to drive or ride fast sometimes, it doesn't automatically equate to "blasting round like twats" like you've said there.

Nor do pro speed limit people automatically equate to Arthur and Doris driving a brown mondeo as other people would have you believe.

If you have no experience of driving & riding at speed then who the fuck are you to say that its unsafe?

When was the last time an accident happened at speed's over a ton? its fuckwit driving at slow to mediocre speeds which causes accidents not a few guy/girls who enjoy winding the throttle on a bit.

Yes, you get a few cunts who are thrashing around the roads in a suicidal manner but you also get bunch of cunts who will tootle along in a convoy over the mountain at 40mph hanging a couple of meters of the car in fronts bumper& peform stupid manovers without looking.

Speed does not kill

Fuckwit driving & riding kills

Personally I feel I have plenty of experience of driving and riding at speeds, and that runs into decades IYMK. (I think that's a new one - If You Must Know)

The last time I saw - and I mean saw - an accident happen at speed was less than a year ago up on the mountain when a bike attempting to reach speeds mentioned on this forum, ended up being chucked down the road on its side for 150 metres. The cause of the accident was quite simple, it was a combination of the two items mentioned above - speed and fuckwit riding.

Regarding 202mph. A friend of mine was featured in Performance Bike magazine. He was a mechanic on the GP circuit (Shwantz at the time) and had a road legal machine that could do over 200mph. That was well over 10 years ago so I am sure that some of the rich areseholes about on this Island today could easily afford a modern bike souped up and in theory at least, capable of doing that speed.

So, back on thread - far better to have at least the freedom that you are able, if ever you so desire, to take a bike up on the mountain and ride at a speed you feel comfortable with.

It doen't mean you have to do it.

It doesn't mean you have to write on internet forums to say you have done it.

But it is a massive freedom and privilege to know that you could do it. For now anyway and for always I hope.

I don't think it will be the politicians I will be blaming if ever an All Island Speed Limit is brought in. It will be people like I mentioned above who will be the cause of any All Island Speed Limit, and also I feel, certain ones writing on this forum

Gobbing off, so to speak.

You see this is where I have a problem with the "anti-speed" lot - just because you don't agree with an all-island speed limit and/or like to drive or ride fast sometimes, it doesn't automatically equate to "blasting round like twats" like you've said there.

Nor do pro speed limit people automatically equate to Arthur and Doris driving a brown mondeo as other people would have you believe.

Agree 100% Ans - should have made that clear.

I think its stupid to even have a "Fastest You've Driven On Island Roads" thread, If there has ever been an excuse to have a speed limit then this will probably be it, Although the IOM government is well aware of people travelling at these sort of speeds mentioned, Remember the consultation leaflet?, It mentioned the quickest speed recorded by police on the mountain.

As for "Its not possible to go 120mph+ riding a bike or driving a car then you're talking crap, Look at some of the specs, 0-60 figures, 0-100 figures.

I think its stupid to even have a "Fastest You've Driven On Island Roads" thread,

I didn't intend it to be a stupid thread. As a part time blow-over I was interested in the subject, as such freedom is not granted in England.

An R plated chav blasting through Douglas at 25 mph in first gear is more dangerous than any of the honest posters who admit to one go at 130 mph on the derestricted mountain.

On deristicted roads before today i have never really looked at what speed i am doing as my attention is on the road ahead riding to the conditions ahead not worrying what speed i'm actually doing.

i have just come home from a very enjoyable , safe and pleasent ride , this thread made me have a quick glance out of curosity , and yes just over 130 on the clock .

It was in no way dangerous , but i will go back to keeping my eyes on the road rather than bragging about how quick i was going in future !!!

Archived