Manxforums.com - Important Updates

Uni

We would like to bring the following information to your attention;

• The two Subscriber only sub-forums have been merged into a single sub-forum called "Subscribers Park".
  • Manxforums.com Terms and Conditions have been rewritten and are now available online. They can be accessed using the "Terms & Conditions" link located in the header of every Manxforums.com webpage. Following the date of publication and notification, all users are subject to the new Terms & Conditions, so please familiarise yourself with them.
  • Make use of the Report facility, you'll get a reply far quicker than e-mailing the webmaster.
  • RE: Albert Gubay Defamatory Statements on Manxforums.com
    We are glad to report that we recovered our costs entirely. Costs to Manxforums.com came to roughly £1800 which was recuperated largely by the generous users of Manxforums.com via donations and subscriptions. The user who posted the statement also paid a large sum to the end total recovered.
    We would like to thank all the users who helped and supported Manxforums.com through a very difficult period, who without, Manxforums.com would not be available today.
    Our extended thanks and appreciation goes to John Wright who offered and provided his excellent legal services (even while on holiday) free of charge. John not only saved Manxforums.com but really helped the owners avoid impending costs. John is available to contact through the forums if you would like to say Thank You or if you simply have a legal query.
  • User accounts that do not have a valid registered e-mail address that can receive incoming e-mail from Manxforums.com will be suspended.
  • We are pleased to announce that we have 4088 registered users and host 239,403 posts!

Thank you for your continued use and support of Manxforums.com (keep us here - don't forget to subscribe/donate).

Regards,

The Manxforums.com Team

Firstly, thanks John!

Secondly, since I'm undoubtedly, at some point I'm unwittingly going to fall foul of the the e-mail rules, I'll say bye now.

I'm a bit confused by this rule -

If any complaint results in Manxforums.com being ordered by a court, or advised by its advocates, to pay damages, a donation in lieu of damages, a contribution to costs, publication costs of an apology or its own costs, the poster who gave rise to the complaint by agreeing to the Terms & Conditions / Rules specifically agrees to reimburse the full sum involved on an indemnity basis to Manxforums.com within 7 days of demand and if proceedings have to be issued agrees that Manx law applies, to submit to the non exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of the Isle of Man and to agree to the matter being heard as a small claim even if it is for more than £5,000 and not to object to the Manxforums.com advocate being allowed to appear at any hearing.

Could you clarify what this implies. What would the implication be if the poster wished to challenge the complainant, but the admin decided to cough up?

Keep within topic, if in doubt as to relevance start a new topic.

I hope this rule is more honoured in the breech than the observance. One of the joys of the forum is that topics start one place and end up somewhere else.

But generally, I like the T&C's they are clear and people should know where the stand, much better than the standard generic T&C's on most sites.

No Declan

A complainaint, if he gets that far, will sue both the poster and the carrier, like the journalist and the paper.

MF has no funds. If it can get by with an apology and a charitable donation as opposed to years of court and fees it might be a better bet economically to settle. It just reserves full power to do what is considered best.

Obviously if someone came along and said I want to fight it to defend my post and I will poay for you to defend as well, and they put there money where their mouth is, well maybe not.

It should make it clear that the poster responsible for the trouble will have to pay out whatever it costs MF to sort it out.

So my theoretical poster, could defend the challenge against himself, even if mf decides not to fight. Would paying the costs to mf mentioned above, be held to be admitting liability, and therefore undermine his on-going action.

I wonder at this too Declan. Does our paying as subscribers put is more at risk of this clause too, because it makes us identifiable to manxforums where previously we might not be?

Also "No obscenities"? A search of 'fuck' shows 15 pages of results, including a few instances from one of the mods today. Can we say fuck or not? :)

But the clause saying that we have to maintain an active e-mail addy means that non-subscribers are as identifiable. Subscription is by paypal, which doesn't pass on any other details to the merchant.

Also "No obscenities"? A search of 'fuck' shows 15 pages of results, including a few instances from one of the mods today. Can we say fuck or not? :)

I don't see the need for most of the 'foul' language on here, I want to increase the user-base, not turn users away due to unnecessary profanity.

F***, I don't want to reveal legal advice and strategy here. Think what use a hostile person might make of it.

It is only fair that if you post something which causes MF to be sued and it means MF has to pay out money that you should reimburse MF. That is what it says.

I hope the rules are simple, try not to make them complex deliberately.

It really is about posters exercising some self restraint, thinking twice before pushing the button

The old rules were very similar, just used more words and legalese.

The faults in these are all mine, the good points suggested by the various people who assisted and commented

F***, I don't want to reveal legal advice and strategy here. Think what use a hostile person might make of it.

Ok. I'll withdraw my question.

I don't object to that rule in principle.

I don't see the need for most of the 'foul' language on here, I want to increase the user-base, not turn users away due to unnecessary profanity.

Bizzare, why remove the swear filter then u-turn this? The mods swear too, so they dont seem aware of the change?

Bizzare, why remove the swear filter then u-turn this? The mods swear too, so they dont seem aware of the change?

I think the key word is unneccesary. The policy has always been that foul language shouldn't be gratuitous.

I would just like to add my thanks to John Wright, as well as UniSol, Tearz and all the Mods.

ManxForums has given me a lot of pleasure over the last couple of years. I have found it both informative and funny in equal measures, as well as the help I have received on various issues (especially the help over my Mum's credit card fraud).

I would just like to add my thanks to John Wright, as well as UniSol, Tearz and all the Mods.

ManxForums has given me a lot of pleasure over the last couple of years. I have found it both informative and funny in equal measures

Exactly what I wanted to say.

Archived