Fillet Steak

OnionBreath

Hi guys

Got the new girlfriend coming round on saturday night as i said id cook her a meal in a drunken moment.

Where is the best place in Douglas to get a couple of nice bits of fillet steak? Shoprite do the local stuff or should i go to a butchers? Any recommendations or advice gratefully accepted!

OB

Hi guys

Got the new girlfriend coming round on saturday night as i said id cook her a meal in a drunken moment.

Where is the best place in Douglas to get a couple of nice bits of fillet steak? Shoprite do the local stuff or should i go to a butchers? Any recommendations or advice gratefully accepted!

OB

Saw some nice ones in Shoprite (Victoria Street) the other day ...

Are you sure she eats meat ;P Nothing quite blows a date as serving steak to a vegeterian ...

--------------------

Tech Blog - Personal Blog - Hobby Blog -

Have a Manx website? Post it up at SearchMann

Hi guys

OB

Are you sure she eats meat ;P Nothing quite blows a date as serving steak to a vegeterian ...

I always leave that question to the second date.

Hi guys

OB

Go to Fenton Campbell, and get two steaks of Welch Black, and one of their cheapest fillet steak. The cheapest one is for you to practice with on Friday or tonight.

Here is what to do:

Wash the steak and put in a bowl with some olive oil, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Leave for a couple of hours at room temperature. Make sure the steak is at room temperature before you cook. Make sure everything else is ready to serve before you start cooking.

Put some butter in a frying pan and melt it, quite hot, but make sure it is not too hot or the butter will go brown very quickly and taint the flavour of the steak (this is where the practice steak will help). Once melted put the steak in the pan and do not move it around. Cooking time depends on how thick the steak is. You will see the red of the meat change colour from the pan up as it cooks. When the cooked bit is about 1/3 of the way upturn the steak over and do not move it around. The second side will cook much mre quickly because the first side is hot and effectively still cooking.

As soon as you have turned the steaks, plate up the rest of the food. unless you have bought door stoppers for steaks, a couple of minutes or so is all you need to cook the second side for. Plate the steaks up second side down. Enjoy!!!

If you want to make a flashy, impressive pepper sauce just ask and I will tell you how, but that really does require practice.

Hi guys

OB

Go to Fenton Campbell, and get two steaks of Welch Black, and one of their cheapest fillet steak. The cheapest one is for you to practice with on Friday or tonight.

Here is what to do:

Wash the steak and put in a bowl with some olive oil, salt and fresh ground black pepper. Leave for a couple of hours at room temperature. Make sure the steak is at room temperature before you cook. Make sure everything else is ready to serve before you start cooking.

Put some butter in a frying pan and melt it, quite hot, but make sure it is not too hot or the butter will go brown very quickly and taint the flavour of the steak (this is where the practice steak will help). Once melted put the steak in the pan and do not move it around. Cooking time depends on how thick the steak is. You will see the red of the meat change colour from the pan up as it cooks. When the cooked bit is about 1/3 of the way upturn the steak over and do not move it around. The second side will cook much mre quickly because the first side is hot and effectively still cooking.

As soon as you have turned the steaks, plate up the rest of the food. unless you have bought door stoppers for steaks, a couple of minutes or so is all you need to cook the second side for. Plate the steaks up second side down. Enjoy!!!

If you want to make a flashy, impressive pepper sauce just ask and I will tell you how, but that really does require practice.

Excellent. I am going to try this too. It sounds delicious!

Thanks Cambon, much appreciated!

Ok, and now for the sauce, although this is not for the faint hearted.

For the sauce you need to add a load of freshly ground black pepper during the cooking and some pepper corns if you like. The jars of marinated green pepper corns are best.

When the steak is cooked, remove from pan. Take the pan off the heat. Pour a shot of good brandy into the pan and set alight. Immediately return the pan to the heat and stir quickly until flames have gone. Immediately add 75ml of double cream and stir to de-glaze the pan. Add salt to taste and serve.

Fillet au poivre to die for.

Bah! Boring steak, why not go for some lambchops marinate for a couple of hours in olive oil, rosemary and lemon juice. grill for ten minutes serve with roasted mediterranean vegetables (the pre-prepared trays) and Ainsley Harriot's Spicey Morroccan Cous cous.

Very simple meal, tastes amazing.

Hi guys

OB

I always found my girls preferred a nice piece of pork.!

• 4 weeks later...

Here is what to do:

Hey Cambon

Went down to Fenton Cambell Butchers and I have done exactly what you said and have to say that it was the nicest steak I have ever, ever had :rolleyes:

I would totally recommend anyone to take up Cambon's recipe, you will not be disappointed.

I am going to try the Pepper Sauce recipe next but I am not holding my breath on this one!!

Cheers

Last 10

Archived