That Scouse Accent Thing

ourtess

As an employer in England I (like many others) avoid Scousers.

The old Manx accent, as found in the Peveril, is fantastic, and employable.

The new Scouse style Manx accent is really terrible and gives uneducated Manx youngsters a handicap if they want to work in the UK.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the weird scouse sounding accent of the Manx. I like the two-thirds-speed accent that you here very rarely, the old Manx accent. I don't mind the Scouse accent that much though. It's Brummie and middle-class London accents that I don't like the sound of.

Do you staff have verbal communication with customers then?

As an employer in England I (like many others) avoid Scousers.

The old Manx accent, as found in the Peveril, is fantastic, and employable.

The new Scouse style Manx accent is really terrible and gives uneducated Manx youngsters a handicap if they want to work in the UK.

Isn't that basically racism?

As a former resident of Liverpool with a scouse family, I would like to point out that there are many scouse accents and that awful drawl that the youth use (and which seems to have been adopted by Manx youngsters) is just one variation that me (and many other scousers) think is awful.

In my opinion, the 'proper' scouse accent that you hear coming from John Lennon and co in old tv clips is a fantastic accent and that is the one I associate with most of the people I know from back home.

I think Jamie Carragher and Stevie Gerrard are heroes but their accents need brushing up a bit - its true.

Its not bad to have a Liverpool accent but that awful affected noise that comes out of some people is terrible. I wouldnt employ somebody who used it simply because it would indicate that they didnt have the sense to open their mouths and articulate their words properly. I have a Liverpool accent but I am more than capable of talking with people from all regions so that they can understand me.

Its just laziness and stupidity.

They put it on, seperate them from their scallies mates for more than a week and it's gone. If they're uneducated who will give them a job and care about whatever accent they have? Most of these kids will grow out of it because they want to get on in life, it's as fake as the burberry caps most of them wear.

A linguist who made a study on this subject found a north/south divide on the island as far as accents go - one half tending to sound 'irish' to outsiders and the other half tending to sound 'scouse.' I'd give the reference if I had it to hand but, regrettably, I haven't. The study, however, was done many years ago which tends to suggest that the 'new Scouse style Manx accent' is probably just a development of what was already there.

The amazing part is, I suppose, that a city with a population of over a million has decided to imitate one of our Manx accents!

I can understand the discrimination regarding accents (because that's what it is) especially when it comes to employing people who use the telephone much of their working day. Like it or not, Scousers always seem to bring out across the UK a reaction of laziness, strikes and thieving, Brummies and Irish accents a reaction that they are thick. Accents bring out a lot of primeval reactions in UK society.

I have worked, and still work, with people with all kinds of accents from all over the world. Personally, of all the people I have worked with I like working with Scousers best, because they generally they have a better sense of humour and make the working day far more pleasurable - and Germans because they are far more efficient and reliable than Brits. I have also found Scousers to think and act in much the same way as people from the island, so there is also a sense of 'being close to home' whenever I have worked with them. I like Liverpool for it's music, comedians and its pubs etc. and it has always been an important port to me on my numerous travels to and from the island. That said, I have met many unfunny Scousers and several unreliable Germans.

A great deal of discrimination with regard to accents IMO is based on the past, our associations, or on our own experiences - which explains to me why I prefer Scousers. I don't like the Scots accent, mainly because I can't understand them easily and couldn't give a fig about their culture of Haggis, Kilts and Bagpipes, never mind the recent raft of f**kwit politicians and health fanaticism they seem to export, though more importantly I suppose I remember all the drunken Scottish tw*ts that used to come to the island for 'Scots week'. I don't like Irish accents because of similar experiences with 'Irish week' on the island, plus I don't like their culture, or the way they seem to set up 'little Irelands' wherever they go and their St Patricks day piss ups that spill onto our streets. I don't like South African accents because I associate them with bigotory and arrogance. I don't like American accents because I associate them with stupidity, arrogance and naivety. I don't like Indian or Pakistani accents because I think they all come from Jobrobistan.

The fact is though, it shouldn't matter what I like - you can't judge a person by their accent and you have to put this sort of discrimination behind you. If I have learned one thing working for myself and numerous large companies, it is that people are individuals and you should judge them by who or what they are, not by: their accent (an accident of birth), where they come from, or your perceptions of their culture. If you assume a stereotype you will never learn anything and always hold the same bigoted views. I may knock the Scots, the Irish and others occasionally on here myself - but really it is the actions of a few politicians, civil servants, drunks and individuals from there that I am really knocking, or the Scots roundabout designer on the island - not all of them (but it is a British habit to knock whole cultures). Many Brits are now representing us in different countries around the world as beer swigging, foul mouthed, war-mongering hooligans - does that mean we all are?

They put it on, seperate them from their scallies mates for more than a week and it's gone. If they're uneducated who will give them a job and care about whatever accent they have? Most of these kids will grow out of it because they want to get on in life, it's as fake as the burberry caps most of them wear.

Calm down. calm down

I can understand the discrimination regarding accents (because that's what it is) especially when it comes to employing people who use the telephone much of their working day. Like it or not, Scousers always seem to bring out across the UK a reaction of laziness, strikes and thieving, Brummies and Irish accents a reaction that they are thick. Accents bring out a lot of primeval reactions in UK society.

I have worked, and still work, with people with all kinds of accents from all over the world. Personally, of all the people I have worked with I like working with Scousers best, because they generally they have a better sense of humour and make the working day far more pleasurable - and Germans because they are far more efficient and reliable than Brits. I have also found Scousers to think and act in much the same way as people from the island, so there is also a sense of 'being close to home' whenever I have worked with them. I like Liverpool for it's music, comedians and its pubs etc. and it has always been an important port to me on my numerous travels to and from the island. That said, I have met many unfunny Scousers and several unreliable Germans.

A great deal of discrimination with regard to accents IMO is based on the past, our associations, or on our own experiences - which explains to me why I prefer Scousers. I don't like the Scots accent, mainly because I can't understand them easily and couldn't give a fig about their culture of Haggis, Kilts and Bagpipes, never mind the recent raft of f**kwit politicians and health fanaticism they seem to export, though more importantly I suppose I remember all the drunken Scottish tw*ts that used to come to the island for 'Scots week'. I don't like Irish accents because of similar experiences with 'Irish week' on the island, plus I don't like their culture, or the way they seem to set up 'little Irelands' wherever they go and their St Patricks day piss ups that spill onto our streets. I don't like South African accents because I associate them with bigotory and arrogance. I don't like American accents because I associate them with stupidity, arrogance and naivety. I don't like Indian or Pakistani accents because I think they all come from Jobrobistan.

The fact is though, it shouldn't matter what I like - you can't judge a person by their accent and you have to put this sort of discrimination behind you. If I have learned one thing working for myself and numerous large companies, it is that people are individuals and you should judge them by who or what they are, not by: their accent (an accident of birth), where they come from, or your perceptions of their culture. If you assume a stereotype you will never learn anything and always hold the same bigoted views. I may knock the Scots, the Irish and others occasionally on here myself - but really it is the actions of a few politicians, civil servants, drunks and individuals from there that I am really knocking, or the Scots roundabout designer on the island - not all of them (but it is a British habit to knock whole cultures). Many Brits are now representing us in different countries around the world as beer swigging, foul mouthed, war-mongering hooligans - does that mean we all are?

Cor you can waffle, you're not Welsh are you?

:P

I've never under stood while people over here speak like a scouser :huh: Not proud to be manx? Giving off I'm hard as fuck cause I'm scouse?

I'm proud to be Manx, I dont have a proper Manx accent, but I dont speak like a scouser at all.

I've noticed that people Ramsey/Peel speak alot slower and the same for down South.

Its mainly Douglas you find people with a fake scouse accent, giving the Pulrose effect. As its pretty true, most people from this area speak like a scouser, but how many of them have ever even been off the Island before?!?!?

Archived