Port Jack Tapas Place

TootieBootie

I once went there for a works leaving. The food was very nice but I left the place absolutely starving and had to go into the Port Jack Chippy for a steak pie and large chips and a bread roll.

I got slanged off for this and was told that tapas is all about flavours not getting full.

Bollox to that I say. If I want to spend £30 quid on a meal then I much prefer not to come out Hank Marvin. Mind you that did include a beer or two and some wine.

Anyway, it was a good night and once I managed to clean up all the gravy that had drizzled down my face and shirt (from the chippy) I met up with the rest of them down at the Terminus and got right pished, as you do. After doing some disco dancing in that night club along the road I had another chip supper at the place along from the Hilton/

So aye, it makes for a pretty good appetiser and I can't complain about the service, or indeed the night out.

If you don't want to go partyin' you can have a reasonably cheap lie down in the sun bed place next door afterwards and pretend you are in Mexico, or whatever country it is that sells Tapas.

I once went there for a works leaving. The food was very nice but I left the place absolutely starving and had to go into the Port Jack Chippy for a steak pie and large chips and a bread roll.

I got slanged off for this and was told that tapas is all about flavours not getting full.

Bollox to that I say. If I want to spend £30 quid on a meal then I much prefer not to come out Hank Marvin. Mind you that did include a beer or two and some wine.

Anyway, it was a good night and once I managed to clean up all the gravy that had drizzled down my face and shirt (from the chippy) I met up with the rest of them down at the Terminus and got right pished, as you do. After doing some disco dancing in that night club along the road I had another chip supper at the place along from the Hilton/

So aye, it makes for a pretty good appetiser and I can't complain about the service, or indeed the night out.

If you don't want to go partyin' you can have a reasonably cheap lie down in the sun bed place next door afterwards and pretend you are in Mexico, or whatever country it is that sells Tapas.

You greedy fucking bastard

You'd have been better off staying in with a jumbo bag of Cadburys Smash, 2lbs of pork sausages and a thick sliced white loaf spread with dripping

Angel delight with condensed milk & Tennants Super for dessert

Sounds like you were told a load of rubbish to me! All about the flavours if you spend very little. Tapas can be like a bar snack but you can also go to a tapas restaurant and get loads and loads for not much money. In Spain that is.

I like tapas because I hate ordering a meal and getting bored halfway through. I like lots of different foods I can pick at.

".....if you spend very little"

hold on a minute. Seriously though.

It was the boss who pre-ordered the meal. He was a right tight-arse when it came to nights out. I reckon he thought as we was mainly thicko manxies and probably didn't know the score with foreign food we got palmed off with just the snacks or kiddies portions.

And he left sharpish so he didn't have to buy a round at the Terminus Tavern. Still, he missed us calling him all the c***ts under the sun as we normally do on a night out.

Stan left the Island a few months later. I wonder where he ended up?

and cheeky boy you know your customer with that suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Guest charlie_boy

I agree, the food there is really tasty....but I also needed to get something else to eat not long after leaving.

I went there before Christmas with a guy I'd met the week off the SeaCat. The service was grand, table nice enough and food lovely.

But we ended up stopping off at McDonalds for couple of burgers before heading up to Marine Drive to enjoy 'each others company'.

Haven't tried the Garrison which is daft because I only live around the corner in Rheast Barrule. But I think it might be a wee bit too posh for the likes of me and my buddies!!

• 6 years later...

I am surprised the MF foodies have not reviewed the Port Jack tapas place recently, so I will give you my view. During the warm spell, Mrs WB and I were put in mind of Spanish food, so we gave this place our first try. Well, it's only been open 12 years. Don't rush us.

We were very pleasantly surprised. It is spotlessly clean with super views over the bay. The host and owner, Monolo greeted us warmly and suggested a few of his favourite plates. We chose seven or eight different items from the tapas section of the menu and found it sufficient. The 'gambas' were tasty with just the right amount of chilli, the ham 'jambon' very good and moist, the chicken 'pollo' filling and well cooked. All for about £50 with a good bottle of rioja and a tip. I would have liked to see some fresh local fish included, but there was nothing like that. I guess it's all been shipped to Spain!

Otherwise the only snag was we were a bit lonely, so it lacked atmosphere despite the good music tracks. It was mid-week and we understand it fills at the weekends, but do give it a try. It's well worthwhile. We will be back.

12 years, shitting hell, that's flown!! Bring back the Tudor Inn is all I'll say, that was our "go to" place and we've not found anywhere since with the same mix of excellent food, service and cosiness (is that a word?!) ahhhhh, the Tudor Inn :-)

Archived