Spot The Gritter - Manx Forums Survey

Fossils

It is peculiar that its frosty in some places but not others.

It frequently surprises me that it can be solid ice in Andreas but a few degrees above freezing on the mountain.

its known as a Temperature Inversion, where the air is warmer higher up than close to the ground. Quite common at this time of year and is typified by smoke, pollution being trapped at lower levels rather than being able to escape upwards under normal convection processes.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well personally i think the problem is the guys have not been given the overtime to do the salting.

Its not hard to figure out where the problem spots are, they have been doing it for decades after all.

Its mainly in land areas and the high spots that suffer.

Near the sea is always a tad warmer.

Years ago it was routine now its very rare seeing a gritter.

Or maybe they are hoping for global warming lol.

I think its been the coldest winter for a while this year more frost i know that for a fact.

Is this an attempt at the dullest thread? What's next, bus spotting?

Apparently a group of bus spotting enthusiasts have published a list of times and places you are most likely to spot a bus on the Island. I've not read it myself, but if you can get hold of one it might help you.

It seems they are calling it a Time Table.

;)

This forum sucks at accident prevention.

I agree. There should be a warning notice on the main page clearly stating that reading this forum whilst driving in icy conditions will in no way improve the safety aspect of your journey.

Maybe not on the mountain road but I was told of 2 this morning on another road.

But are the accidents down to the ice, or people travelling too fast for the road conditions?

If it is cold, and the hedge and windscreens are iced up, then it is a fair bet that the roads themselves are icy - a thin layer of grit doesn't mean that you can still travel down a hill at 50mph as you would normally and expect to get around the bend at the bottom.......

Maybe not on the mountain road but I was told of 2 this morning on another road.

But are the accidents down to the ice, or people travelling too fast for the road conditions?

If it is cold, and the hedge and windscreens are iced up, then it is a fair bet that the roads themselves are icy - a thin layer of grit doesn't mean that you can still travel down a hill at 50mph as you would normally and expect to get around the bend at the bottom.......

Image281.jpg

You'd be round the bend to drive with your windscreen iced up, if you get my drift.

Andrew, are you the man who decides when to send the gritters out (or the man who can't decide when to send the gritters out)?

like the Black Auris/Yaris lying in the field at the Plains of Heaven this morning :(

like the Black Auris/Yaris lying in the field at the Plains of Heaven this morning :(

There must have been black ice.

got told bout that one, was told the female driver was vary tasty indeed, thinkit was the only reason he stopped to be honest lol,

think thats about the 4th in 4 months on that part of road,

there be a 50mph speed limit on there next not that it make a blind bit of diffrence,

think thats about the 4th in 4 months on that part of road,

there be a 50mph speed limit on there next not that it make a blind bit of diffrence,

the GLW spun her jeep on black ice there the other monday just after 6am coming up the way, i went back to change the damaged rims and a gritter went past at 7-50am and the driver was holding a mug of something as he drove past :angry:

Archived