Spot The Gritter - Manx Forums Survey

Fossils

Please post the timing and location of any sightings of a gritter wagon (actually gritting the roads).

Manx Radio states:

The evening and night will be dry with clear spells and light to moderate winds, mainly from the east or south-east. It will become chilly, with a frost in places.

4:45 p.m. Monday 11th February 2008.

On the DoT website the policy is stated as:

"Priority is given to maintaining safe driving conditions

on primary roads which will normally include all busy

roads. Our aim is to ensure salt is spread on the

highway before ice forms.

Our objective is to give priority to:

• roads which carry the heaviest rush hour traffic

• roads linking centres of population

• bus routes

• roads to hospitals, ambulance and fire stations

• ensuring all road users are within a reasonable

distance of a salted road."

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Please post the timing and location of any sightings of a gritter wagon (actually gritting the roads).

Manx Radio states:

The evening and night will be dry with clear spells and light to moderate winds, mainly from the east or south-east. It will become chilly, with a frost in places.

4:45 p.m. Monday 11th February 2008.

On the DoT website the policy is stated as:

"Priority is given to maintaining safe driving conditions

on primary roads which will normally include all busy

roads. Our aim is to ensure salt is spread on the

highway before ice forms.

Our objective is to give priority to:

• roads which carry the heaviest rush hour traffic

• roads linking centres of population

• bus routes

• roads to hospitals, ambulance and fire stations

• ensuring all road users are within a reasonable

distance of a salted road."

18:45 Lancashire Hotel heading South.

7:30pm tonight - Maughold to Ramsey coast road, and they'll be heading the other way again in the morning about 7am, as they do every morning when it's around freezing. Personally I think the guys do a good job. They're on call day and night this time of year. Having been on call myself in the past I can say it's not nice. You can't get to sleep because you're lying there thinking 'my phone's gonna ring in a minute isn't it?'

They'll probably have done half a day's work by the time you've got your arse out of bed fossils and probably for less money than you too. No offense but it's true.

Anyway, sleep well while these guys are out all night working while you're tucked up in bed.

7:30pm tonight - Maughold to Ramsey coast road, and they'll be heading the other way again in the morning about 7am, as they do every morning when it's around freezing. Personally I think the guys do a good job. They're on call day and night this time of year. Having been on call myself in the past I can say it's not nice. You can't get to sleep because you're lying there thinking 'my phone's gonna ring in a minute isn't it?'

They'll probably have done half a day's work by the time you've got your arse out of bed fossils and probably for less money than you too. No offense but it's true.

Anyway, sleep well while these guys are out all night working while you're tucked up in bed.

ha ha thay earn a bomb for being on call, double time, paid days off for every hour thay do after a point,

the boys used to fight over this to get on call,

same as the ones on the sweepers, rakeing it in when on call,

yes thay do the hours and all that and fair play to them for doing it, but not for bugger all,

and half a days work for them aint really that much is it now, it is the dot after all :D

The mountain Road was actually gritted this morning. I guess the DOT and Met Office should try and improve in their 1 in 4 success rate on predicting and treatment before ice forms? Having got it horribly wrong frr the last 2 weeks, and 3 serious accidents later, they got it right this morning. Well done!

Rab

I saw one on the mountain this morning at 7.30 at the bungalow driving along but not spouting salt!

And I didn't notice the temperature drop below 4 this morning. That's not to say that it wasn't icy earlier of course. I did spot some white frosty grass though at Cronk ny Mona.

Nothing like the other morning though.

Well done the Board and Rab for badgering them.

I saw one on the mountain this morning at 7.30 at the bungalow driving along but not spouting salt!

And I didn't notice the temperature drop below 4 this morning. That's not to say that it wasn't icy earlier of course. I did spot some white frosty grass though at Cronk ny Mona.

Nothing like the other morning though.

Well done the Board and Rab for badgering them.

According to the thermometer in my car this morning, it was 3.5 degrees in the Ballaugh/Kirk Michael area, 0.0 in Glen Helen/Glen Moar and then dropped down to -0.5 from Crosby all the way through to the Quarterbridge. Very frosty indeed from Glen Vine to Union Mills. This is at 08:30 am

Archived