Manx Patron Saint?

manxmaid

At work they call me the foreigner (in a jokey sort of way!) The discussion on the radio was about St Georges Day and how not many english people actually remembered it, I chirped up and said that I knew it was St Georges Day, so I proved the Dj on the radio right........ so that started another discussion........

Do the Isle fo Man have a Manx Patron Saint? After all we have July 5th as our national day.........

Who would you like to see as Manx Patron Saint?

Macc Cuill (Manx Maughold) bishop 489 d.498

Feast day April 25 (Farmer quotes April 27)

Kneen quotes Nov 15 (from Machud Episcopus in 'Martyrology of Donegal') which was known in Manx as Laa'l Maghald geuree Maughold's winter feast day and August 11th as Laa'l Maghald toshee Maugholds first feast day. On both days fairs were held in Maughold.

The April feast day may be a result of confusion with St Machalus who in the Scottish Calendar had this feast day and of whom was stated 'He is called also Machella and Mauchold. He sat bishop in AD 498 and 518'.

According to Farmer nothing is known about him except the legend that he was a robber from Druimm moccu Echach in Ulster, converted by St Patrick. It is likely that this story (possibly elaborated from existing Ulster legends) was due to Jocelin, of Furness Abbey, in his life of St Patrick written c1185 mainly to please John de Courci, Anglo-Norman conqueror of Ulster and brother in law to the King of Mann.

(see www.manxnotebook.com)

Ideal for the Island a no-good come-over who went native and settled in Ramsey !

The Manx Patron saint should St John

Tynwald fair day is St Johns day

Tynwald is at St Johns

Our ex pro cathedral is dedicated to St John

Our national flower is St Johns wort

Need I go on!

However a google search says its St Maughold

Our cathedral is dedicated to St John

strange that the notice on the gate reads St Germain's

St German Patronal fair 13th July (OS) (July 24th NS)

Confused with St Germanus, Bishop of Auxerre (died 448), who was better known within Roman church e.g. Bull of Gregory IX was written on July 30th which was the eve of the feast day of this saint - hence alternative spelling of Germain. This Germanus became associated with Britain when sent, at the request of the British, to refute the Pelagian heretics. On a second visit, again to refute Pelagianism, this time successfully, he directed British forces in battle against Picts and Saxons. Feast widely celebrated in England.

As the various references to German are chronologically impossible to reconcile with the better known Germanus there has been several, highly conjectural, lives of which one was that he was born in Brittany c.410, went to Ireland to stay with St Patrick, came to Wales c.440, returned to Ireland and became Bishop of Man c.466.

D.H.Farmer The Oxford Dictionary of Saints 1978

strictly Tynwald was the midsummer fair - the church got in on the act by allocating St John's feast day to mid summer but as you say the 1752 calendar change required the date to be changed as rents were paid on the various quarter days. St John's chapel + its patronal dedication post dates tynwald by at least 2 centuries

Sorry the Pro Cathedral was at Bishops court - St Nicholas!

St. Ramsey the Intransigent

St. Peter the Incoherent

St. Norman the patron saint of Discombobulatedness

St. Michael the short cut to Strand Street

St. Tony de la Spin

St. Onchan of the twitching curtains

St. Douglas of the eternal roadworks

• 1 year later...

St Georges day today, marked by the BNP who had a bloke dressed as St George standing in a rather embarrassed way behind Nick Griffin as he introduced the BNP election manifesto

Anyway back on topic

Saint Tony The Inept

Mother Theresa, because she was a right cow!

Though being more sensible, if ever there was a Saint, would it not be Mary. I say this given the number of dedications to this saint.

We could always make up some story about she fought the Buggane in an arm wrestling match at Mount Murray or something, in a comparative to George and the scary Dragon.

Our national flower is St Johns wort

I think you mean St James' Wort. St John's Wort is hypericum, the antidepressant stuff.

Though if the cushag is the national flower, what is the bollan bane (mugwort)?

Bollan-bane (lit. 'white wort"), mugwort, Artemisia vulgaris.

It is also known as Bollan-feaill-Eoin (lit.'wort of the vigil of John') or Plant of (St.)John's festival (not to be confused with St. John's Wort, which does not grow naturally on the island).

actually Bridget would probably be more appropriate - she supposedly was given the veil by Maughold - Mary was patronal saint for Rushen Abbey (as she was for all Cistercian houses) - the arms of the diocese have a female figure standing between two pillars most likely Mary though sometimes given as Bridget (discussion in latest issue of Proc IoMNH&ASoc XII #2 p247)

Archived