Pub Watch

steven !

With quite a few changes happening just now I thought it might be useful to have a thread to keep up-to-date with the pubs, and not just regarding the smoking ban either, although that has certainly made an impact.

The Prospect - after 3 or 4 years Melanie and Co. have been decanted to The British as of last Monday. The Prospect seems like it will now need to build up its base clientele again, with some of the die hard regulars following their favourite jockenese manageress to the North Quay. This evening The British seems to have assumed an altogether much needed up beat atmosphere with the arrival of the new management.

The recent (again, as of last Monday) removal of Earle and all the staff from the Island's favourite live bands venue The Rovers Return has shocked many. The impact on the music scene is pretty well documented on the manxbands.co.uk forum thread. It seems that The Rovers will be undergoing a few changes shortly. Experience the al' place while you can. Only plus point - what a blessing to have the surly bouncers removed too.

The Cornerhouse is as much a corner of Pulrose as it ever was, despite the brewery trying to posh it up 10 years or so ago. Tonight the dj music was top notch and a great atmosphere all round. I still had a few flashbacks of The Wheatsheaf and the pool room though...

The Bowling Green has, er, had a sort of makeover. I can't really say much more. The smell of fresh paint is almost preferable to the smell of stale ciggie smoke.

The Victoria Tavern, with mine host Macaleer, on Victoria Street. The Cork and Bottle as was. It would appear that the prices of the excellent kept beer have been highly elevated and the decor subdued to target the 'professions', although there are some that refuse to accept that The Irish Embassy has been moved elsewhere.

The Saddle needs to be experienced to be believed. A place to take a lady providing she enjoys the smell of stale swetty feet. It was always like that. We just never realised before with all the nicotine encrusted walls and people.

I would have loved to include the most archetypal of traditional Manx pubs, The Waterloo as a visit on my way home tonight, but this thread is just a couple of weeks too late. Gone but not forgotten.

Over to you.

I think you're being unfair about the Cornerhouse. Every pub has a slightly unsavoury element, but Julie has worked bloody hard to turn it into a decent pub with a good live music schedule.

Apologies.

No offence meant. As I mentioned, last night the music was top notch and a great atmosphere. Staff friendly and efficient (especially Julie - I bet she's glad she moved from the Rovers now!).

I always enjoyed the pub in the old Wheatsheaf days too.

The Cornerhouse will hopefully take over as the place for live music.

It seems that The Rovers will be undergoing a few changes shortly.

Are they going to paint it orange, ban people from wearing hats, and make it shit? It's a tried and tested formula.

Went for a few at The Manx Arms last night ..... i have to say it is one hell of an improvement , although they could not take cards for payment yet ..

Do non regulars still feel very unwelcome in there?

Didn't realise the management were moving from the Prospect.

I think The British is superb when there is a band playing. Last year it formed a regular part of our Saturday night but then the music seemed to stop for whatever reason. I hope they get it going regularly again.

Sucks about the Rovers.

Oh I don't know so much. Maybe they will leave most of the character but install a shitter that you actually wouldn't mind using, and maybe also replace the gas fire that looks like it had its last service when George V was on the throne.

Edited by oldmanxfella