Pub Watch

steven !

Went for a few at The Manx Arms last night ..... i have to say it is one hell of an improvement , although they could not take cards for payment yet ..

Do non regulars still feel very unwelcome in there?

Nope it had a most welcolming atmosphere ....

• 2 weeks later...
The Victoria Tavern, with mine host Macaleer, on Victoria Street. The Cork and Bottle as was. It would appear that the prices of the excellent kept beer have been highly elevated and the decor subdued to target the 'professions', although there are some that refuse to accept that The Irish Embassy has been moved elsewhere.

The new " Dogs Home" is fast becoming my local,, Robert is the perfect pub landlord and keeps a good house

Small wonder that many of the "Dogs" regulars are drifting back there, albeit older & wealthier

As an occasional visitor to the island, I have never found the pubs too terrible (usually visited Douglas). The Cornerhouse is good for live music, as was the Rovers although who knows what will happen there with all the changes.

I know it gets a bad press but I always enjoyed Jaks. Decent pint (depending on what you drink of course), and usually a band playing.

The Prospect was decent enough, although anytime I was there it appeared to be on the quiet side.

Strand 58, when I first visited I thought was OK, but as a few years went by it seemed to get harder and harder to get served, usually because they had 2 staff on.

There is also an Irish pub on the Strand which annoyingly I can't remember the name of . Brennans? Again I found that an okay place.

Been in Outback, can't remember too much it was TT week and things are a bit hazy. Didn't like Colours, don't mind loud music but definitely don't like oven hot bottled beer. Miss The Venue had many a good night out there.

Maybe I am just easy pleased! And of course this is just my opinion as a visitor. I realise if you live on the island your view of these pubs may differ greatly!

I am back on the island TT week, any new suggestions of pubs would be appreciated.

The Victoria Tavern, with mine host Macaleer, on Victoria Street. The Cork and Bottle as was. It would appear that the prices of the excellent kept beer have been highly elevated and the decor subdued to target the 'professions', although there are some that refuse to accept that The Irish Embassy has been moved elsewhere.

The new " Dogs Home" is fast becoming my local,, Robert is the perfect pub landlord and keeps a good house

Small wonder that many of the "Dogs" regulars are drifting back there, albeit older & wealthier

Although £7 for two pints of San Miguel was a bit steep on Friday night in the Victoria - went next door to Macbeth's where two pints of Stella was £5.40!

Although £7 for two pints of San Miguel was a bit steep on Friday night in the Victoria - went next door to Macbeth's where two pints of Stella was £5.40!

£5.40 for two pints of Stella - that's not bad, its cheaper than the price of Carling in some places.

[

If its cheap beer your after the Co Op in Duke St is good

I'll stick to the "Dogs", there were six lads knocking fuck out of each other outside McDeaths last week after the football

Not my kind of pub

• 15 years later...
1 hour ago, Mikimoto said:

Great to read the old smoking ban whingers!

It's good reading with the prices of the time too. Two pints for £5.40, 16 years on it's generally nearer that for one pint now.

Still Jack White will be along presently to tell us how much the pub trade has improved for punters.

13 hours ago, Non-Believer said:

It's good reading with the prices of the time too. Two pints for £5.40, 16 years on it's generally nearer that for one pint now.

Still Jack White will be along presently to tell us how much the pub trade has improved for punters.

H&B seem to have great difficulty in attracting decent landlords. When they had tenanted pubs, they tended to have the better food/beer.

4 hours ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Where's Cheeky Boy these days ? Another in the long list of good posters, much missed. Is he still with us, or wearing a new disguise ?

Preferring the wider audience on Farcebook...

7 hours ago, Passing Time said:

H&B seem to have great difficulty in attracting decent landlords. When they had tenanted pubs, they tended to have the better food/beer.

Probably because potentially decent landlords don't see anything attractive in H&B. Who can blame them?

23 hours ago, Mikimoto said:

Great to read the old smoking ban whingers!

Well it’s the smoking ban that has done for a lot of pub closures and subsequent damage to the economy.

No dialogue about how maybe certain rooms in pubs with appropriate air conditioning could be provided for smokers. Or smoking/ non smoking pubs established ( more problematic I know)

I used to love going to the pub for a pint and a cigarette after work. But now that pleasure was denied me I can’t do it. I’m not going to stand in some doorway in the pissing rain surreptitiously smoking a cigarette which costs me now, what  50p or 60 p a time ? That’s not enjoyable. And I don’t buy the accompanying pint or two lost revenue for the pub/ brewery/ Government 

The smoking ban making it all but impossible to enjoy a smoke other than in your own house or its environs which made me give up smoking ten or more years ago which I imagine is what the Government wanted.

Do I feel grateful for that? Absolutely not.

I have been forced into giving up something I enjoyed , contributing tax which depending on which statistic you believe more than paid for any burden from smoking on the NHS giving them a windfall.

But unlike Remainers in the Brexit discussion I know that the argument / war is lost. And this is the way the things are. It’s a sad indictment.