[BBC News] Plans for £4m black spot solution

Newsbot

I have a simple, cost saving solution for QB, do not put back the white and red lego bricks after TT and MGP, then we can see round the whole junction. See, saved £4 million, plus the cost of putting in and taking away those hideous blocks. When you are coming from the Bray Hill side, without those blocks you can actually see what is happening/coming at you from the lower roundabout.

What were they meant to do in any case, remind us that we drive on the left?

Gladys, I seem to recall from earlier in this thread that they are to protect pedestrians while crossing the junction? Regardless, they've been removed from the QB for about a week now I think, no idea why though (and I'm not complaining - bloody hazard).

interesting to read the report in the paper of those who had visited the display of the plans, that all those who made a 'wide range of comments' were gushingly in favour of the project, not a word of dissent in there at all !

very odd :P

Did you see the questionnaire? All of the questions were sooo loaded to get the answer they wanted.

interesting to read the report in the paper of those who had visited the display of the plans, that all those who made a 'wide range of comments' were gushingly in favour of the project, not a word of dissent in there at all !

very odd :P

Did you see the questionnaire? All of the questions were sooo loaded to get the answer they wanted.

I think Sir Humphrey is in the background somewhere :P

Edited by Tempus Fugit

I have a simple, cost saving solution for QB, do not put back the white and red lego bricks after TT and MGP, then we can see round the whole junction. See, saved £4 million, plus the cost of putting in and taking away those hideous blocks. When you are coming from the Bray Hill side, without those blocks you can actually see what is happening/coming at you from the lower roundabout.

The red and white things were removed weeks ago already.

Are the plans still on display?

Dunno. I was down the sea terminal last week, and didn't see it. Not sure if it's hidden away?

Why isn't the whole planning process online? Be dead easy to do, stick em up on a page and allow people to register their objections or support for a plan.

Available online anywhere?

Dunno, but I've copied the questions below. All were to be answered "yes" or "no".

1) Have you experienced congestion and delay at this junction on a regular basis?

2) Do you regularly use an alternative route to avoid this junction at peak congestion times?

3) Do you feel exposed to risk when negotiating the existing mini-roundabouts?

4) Do you feel exposed to risk when crossing the road at this junction?

5) Do you believe an improvement scheme is necessary at this location?

6) Do you understand why the Department is promoting the preferred option?

7) Do you support the Department's recommendation to seek planning approval for the preferred scheme?

There was a space for "further suggestions, comments, or to expand on the responses".

Dunno, but I've copied the questions below. All were to be answered "yes" or "no".

1) Have you experienced congestion and delay at this junction on a regular basis?

2) Do you regularly use an alternative route to avoid this junction at peak congestion times?

3) Do you feel exposed to risk when negotiating the existing mini-roundabouts?

4) Do you feel exposed to risk when crossing the road at this junction?

7) Do you support the Department's recommendation to seek planning approval for the preferred scheme?

There was a space for "further suggestions, comments, or to expand on the responses".

Thanks for that. Clearly avoiding the key question:

8) Do you think 4 million pounds of public money is justified on this single junction?

Thanks for that. Clearly avoiding the key question:

8) Do you think 4 million pounds of public money is justified on this single junction?

Well in fairness 5,6 and 7 all look ready for a big juicy 'No' if people wanted to...

They would have been better asking:

1) Do you drive into Douglas?

2) Do you think there is any other way of accessing central Douglas other than using a main road (helicopter, jetski etc)?

3) Have you ever wondered what that stupid red and white plastic island outside the QB actually does?

3) Do you feel exposed to risk when negotiating an ill thought out and poorly implemented series of junctions?

4) Have you ever wanted to punch somebody who cannot grasp the concept of giving way to the right?

5) Do you believe the department will fuck up this junction just all the others its done recently?

6) Do you believe the department is capable of using any degree of skill to implement a traffic flow system?

7) Do you think the department are stark staring mental to consider spending £4m on a new junction?

They would have been better asking:

1) Do you drive into Douglas? No, with the road network the way it is, I prefer to drag myself into town using only my teeth and a sunny disposition.

2) Do you think there is any other way of accessing central Douglas other than using a main road (helicopter, jetski etc)? I will ask Amadeus, I believe he just got his U-Boat License

3) Have you ever wondered what that stupid red and white plastic island outside the QB actually does? Ain't they for the kids to play with while I am waiting for the git in front to actually move on?

3) Do you feel exposed to risk when negotiating an ill thought out and poorly implemented series of junctions? Only when I am waving my arse out of the window.

4) Have you ever wanted to punch somebody who cannot grasp the concept of giving way to the right? No, as there might be witnesses officer.

5) Do you believe the department will fuck up this junction just all the others its done recently? Now look here, if the government did the job properly, we would have nothing to complain about on the forums.

6) Do you believe the department is capable of using any degree of skill to implement a traffic flow system? Please don't use Department, degree and skill in the same sentence.

7) Do you think the department are stark staring mental to consider spending £4m on a new junction? What else can they spend it on, a monorail?

Gladys, I seem to recall from earlier in this thread that they are to protect pedestrians while crossing the junction? Regardless, they've been removed from the QB for about a week now I think, no idea why though (and I'm not complaining - bloody hazard).

They'll be back, mark my words!

If they are such an essential safety measure why aren't they replaced immediately after TT?