[BBC News] Plans for £4m black spot solution

Newsbot

On 1/4/2024 at 11:10 PM, Omobono said:

Because  its not an accident blackspot , the traffic moves freely and the scheme was another grandious  DOI double roundabout  probably with traffic lights which would have buggered up the approach to Douglas , 

the present quarter bridge works pretty well  and if it aint broke it don't need fixing , 

anyway were broke so don't be giving the DOI crayonistas any ideas 

Correct. Although it would be better still if it operated as an unmarked junction with no priority to any route like the roundels are supposed to, and this was strictly enforced.

6 minutes ago, woolley said:
On 1/4/2024 at 11:36 PM, Roger Mexico said:

Another attempt at the necro-bump record, I see.

I don't see anything wrong with the practice. Interesting to be reminded of what was going on in the dim and distant. Then there are the complaints about starting new threads when there's one already established. Can't have it both ways........

Oh I wasn't complaining, just commemorating Two-lane's splendid coinage of the term.

41 minutes ago, woolley said:

Correct. Although it would be better still if it operated as an unmarked junction with no priority to any route like the roundels are supposed to, and this was strictly enforced.

How can you strictly enforce an unmarked junction?

I'm not disagreeing with you btw, I remember a few years ago when Ballacraine traffic lights got stuck by lightning and were out for a few weeks - traffic flowed much better and safer than normal.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

How can you strictly enforce an unmarked junction?

I'm not disagreeing with you btw, I remember a few years ago when Ballacraine traffic lights got stuck by lightning and were out for a few weeks - traffic flowed much better and safer than normal.

OK. Let's take a more educational approach for a while. Signs indicating that no direction has right of way, and Plod offering advice to people that clearly don't understand. Strictly enforce a 10mph speed through the junction. (I appreciate that with some it is like herding cats).

As you say, whenever traffic lights fail, the traffic flows much better. St Ninians is a case in point. Everyone just gets on with it, and it works like a charm. I'm always in favour of giving people responsibility for their own actions and watching them rise to the challenge.

41 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Because unmarked junctions work so well on the prom with everyone waiting to give way to the right causing traffic delays that don’t need to happen. 

Yes. That's precisely the habit we need to get them out of for the principle to work like a dream.

I think the problem with the roundels is, well they are round, so people treat them like a roundabout, not unreasonably.

If you have an unmarked junction then I think it's important to have it unmarked, and not recogniseably round, then it would probably work well.

Not that the roundels don't work well btw, just not in the way they were intended.

17 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Roundels work because it's traffic from the right that is most likely to hit you, so you tend to yield to it naturally.

Nothing to do with the fact that drivers have for years been trained to give way to the right at more "conventional" and "recognised" forms of road junctions such as roundabouts, then?

• Like 4