[BBC News] Plans for £4m black spot solution

Newsbot

I knew as soon as I saw the title of this thread it was going to involve roundabouts. I've never had a problem at the QB, and, even though it was always built up as the boogeyman for learner drivers, found navigating it a total breeze, as roundabouts are really very simple things.

So it's an accident hot spot, blame the roundabout and not the numpties that can't drive and keep bumping into each other.

FFS why must we spend huge amounts of money on roads when there are people out there needing real benefits out of society. Close a nursery school or a 'special' school but straighten out a bend or re-build a roundabout to "ease congestion" when government policy dictates all commerce will happen in Douglas, meaning traffic of proportions that weren't envisaged when the roads were first built is forced to enter a tin pot town via a network of tin pot roads at the same time every day!

Get off your fat arses and learn to negotiate roundabouts properly you useless bastards and spend money on the needy, not the speedy.

The problem with the QB roundabout as I see it is that it is too small. It doesn't give drivers time to assess their position properly causing some of them to hesitate for fear of some idiot with no consideration blasting across looking only to his right. Cars actually on the roundabout have priority but some people approach at speed and do not acknowledge the fact that others may be about to manouvre.

I think that a little money spent educating people may save £4m?

I think that a little money spent educating people may save £4m?

Whatever is spent I think that it cannot / should not be possible to spend 4 million quid just to improve a road junction. I imagine rather than having a red ring around it like Governors Bridge this must be set to have a 24 carat gold ring around it and platinum bollards.

They'd be better spending £4m making Peel Road passable for anything other than a 4 x 4 as its in a truly dreadful state of repair.

They'd be better spending £4m making Peel Road passable for anything other than a 4 x 4 as its in a truly dreadful state of repair.

... or painting white side lines down the country roads to make them safer at night - the stone walls sometimes leap out in the dark and terrify drivers (see RTA [or was that RTC?] at the Nunnery).

I still like the idea of a flyover - proper nations have flyovers!

Building a bigger roundabout at QB will not ease congestion, it will simply shift the congestion to other parts of the town and the DOT know this full well

What it will do is succeed in increasing the annual budget of the DOT, which as I have stated with monotonous regularity on this forum, is the real purpose of the DOT

Fucking up the traffic is just a by-product of the department's lust for our hard earned money

If you really wanted to cut down on traffic the cheapest way to do it would be to make public transport free and pay for it with an extra tax on fuel.

Simple really

Building a bigger roundabout at QB will not ease congestion, it will simply shift the congestion to other parts of the town and the DOT know this full well

What it will do is succeed in increasing the annual budget of the DOT, which as I have stated with monotonous regularity on this forum, is the real purpose of the DOT

Fucking up the traffic is just a by-product of the department's lust for our hard earned money

If you really wanted to cut down on traffic the cheapest way to do it would be to make public transport free and pay for it with an extra tax on fuel.

Simple really

Hah what a post,you must stand for election.Cheapest way is to increase tax on fuel?And then when everyone goes for the free transport the fuel tax will have to be increased as there will be less road users.

Simple really

Hah what a post,you must stand for election.Cheapest way is to increase tax on fuel?And then when everyone goes for the free transport the fuel tax will have to be increased as there will be less road users.

"there will be less road users". = less congestion