[BBC News] Plans for £4m black spot solution

Newsbot

I also heard it will be so big it will be visible from space.

So its going to cover the whole island - is that why it will be oval in shape?

Check this out:

http://www.armin-grewe.com/holiday/wiltshi...-roundabout.htm

Apparently the DoT have already got an experimental version operating in the UK.

Edited by manshimajin

Hehehehe If it's causing this much feedback already wait until you see the drawings at the public display

I'll put £5 on them having being drawn using crayons.

Congrats Mr T, you win £5 :D

The whole idea is mad! It will never work. The problem is caused by conjestion and it does not matter how many lanes you have going into a roundabout, it is still single file traffic.

The solution to the problem is to get rid of that stupid plastic stuff which restricts the flow and is a big part of the problem, and secondly improve other access roads into the town centre. The reason QB does not work during rush hours is due to the traffic trying to exit QB, not approaching it.

This is a total waste of money. The £4M (if we already have it) should be spent on free public transport as is being implemented in Bermuda.

Looks ok to me, and I can imagine that at most times of the day it will improve traffic flow.

The only time I don't see this working is the morning "rush hour" into Douglas, where the problem is as much with the traffic trying to get along Peel Road and into town. At this time you will still get the same bottlenecks we have now, unless there is some bright idea to get people through Lord Street, Circular Road, Brown Bobby etc more quickly.

The whole idea is mad! It will never work. The problem is caused by conjestion and it does not matter how many lanes you have going into a roundabout, it is still single file traffic.

Having cars actually on the roundabout will help, but it'll just move the conjestion into douglas. This design is better than the current two roundabouts.

The islands will help pedestrians too. Nowt for cycles, of course.

Worth £4mil of our dosh? Na.

With car use likely to decline over the coming years, do we really need the marginally extra capacity this will provide? The problem exists for less than 2 hours a day, yet the DoT wants us to endure 2 years of roadworks?

Exactly, the money would be far better spent on reducing car use, be it public transport, cycling facilities, car shares, whatever.

With car use likely to decline over the coming years, do we really need the marginally extra capacity this will provide? The problem exists for less than 2 hours a day, yet the DoT wants us to endure 2 years of roadworks?

I was wondering the same thing - it may have some benefits, but are these outweighed by the costs (both in financial terms and those of disruption).

My plan is cheaper, and I believe more effective:

1. Calculate the number of excess cars contributing to congestion,

2. Randomly select and confiscate that same number of cars from the populace,

3. Beat anyone who complains until they stop.

4. Recycle confiscated cars and use the salvaged material to manufacture halberds and spears with which to keep the unwashed and beligerant serfs in check.

Exactly, the money would be far better spent on reducing car use, be it public transport, cycling facilities, car shares, whatever.

Isn't that just wishful thinking - what evidence is there for that? Car use is going up not down and even more vehicles are being registered each year. There were 73496 registered on the island last year.