Pub Shutting?

Lonan3

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I thought that was quite a popular place. There always seem to be gigs on in there.

Shame. They do seem to be trying to get more bands down there, plus it's got one of the 'better' sheltered outside smoking areas.

Most pubs seem quite empty these days, except on the odd night, but even so are not exactly packed then, even when there are bands or other events on.

Like Lonan I suspect it will be the first of a few to go. Credit crisis my arse, it's the smoking ban that's put the final nail in the coffin for many pubs, and all the brewery do to respond to falling numbers is put the prices up again or sell off pubs - instead of putting an entertainment budget together. You can hardly find a decent band in Douglas even on most weekends, though ironically the Cornerhouse were one of the best at entertainment. The weather's been pretty sh1t already this summer, and with winter arriving this week things'll only get far worse.

Where are all these so called drinkers who said they'd go out when the smoking ban came in? Pack of lies fed to us by a bunch of health facists. I'll bet £50 that off-licence sales have shot up, and people are just staying at home drinking and smoking far more in the same house as their kids, and probably taking even more drugs in the privacy of their own home. Anyone thinking differently needs to talk to the publicans and taxi drivers, and turn up at a pub on a Wednesday evening, to get the real picture. Wait till the stats come out for the number of childhood asthma attacks, excess alcohol (no measures at home), house fires, accidents at home etc. etc. come out next year.

A victory for who? whereas a simple compromise could have suited everyone.

I thought that was quite a popular place. There always seem to be gigs on in there.

Shame. They do seem to be trying to get more bands down there, plus it's got one of the 'better' sheltered outside smoking areas.

Most pubs seem quite empty these days, except on the odd night, but even so are not exactly packed then, even when there are bands or other events on.

Like Lonan I suspect it will be the first of a few to go. Credit crisis my arse, it's the smoking ban that's put the final nail in the coffin for many pubs, and all the brewery do to respond to falling numbers is put the prices up again or sell off pubs - instead of putting an entertainment budget together. You can hardly find a decent band in Douglas even on most weekends, though ironically the Cornerhouse were one of the best at entertainment. The weather's been pretty sh1t already this summer, and with winter arriving this week things'll only get far worse.

Where are all these so called drinkers who said they'd go out when the smoking ban came in? Pack of lies fed to us by a bunch of health facists. I'll bet £50 that off-licence sales have shot up, and people are just staying at home drinking and smoking far more in the same house as their kids, and probably taking even more drugs in the privacy of their own home. Anyone thinking differently needs to talk to the publicans and taxi drivers, and turn up at a pub on a Wednesday evening, to get the real picture. Wait till the stats come out for the number of childhood asthma attacks, excess alcohol (no measures at home), house fires, accidents at home etc. etc. come out next year.

I'm not at all convinced by the smoking ban argument. I go to pubs more now that they are fit for human habitation. And the last thing I look for is "entertainment" (for which, read "noise"). I want a quiet, clean, convivial place to meet friends in. With proper ale.

And I think you are vastly exaggerating the dangers of drinking at home. Has there been any noticeable increase in these things in Scotland, which banned smoking some time ago?

On the contrary: http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2007/09/10081400

S

On the contrary: The Times: The worst junk stats of 2007

Can't Say

“Smoking ban cut heart attacks in Scotland by 17 per cent”, researchers and politicians trumpeted to the world in September through press releases, a conference and interviews, all faithfully reported. It was the ban what done it, they said... until six weeks later when official data halved the drop — to 8 per cent — against a trend immediately before the ban of a 5 or 6 per cent drop, and a fall a few years ago of 11. All of which makes it hard to be sure what, if any, effect the ban really had. The researchers went strangely silent.

Yes, but we've had a few of these statistical reports in the past that have been proved to be fallacious soon afterwards.

I'm amazed that heart damage can be reversed in 1 year but it obviously true because the government tells us so.

More positive propaganda for an illiberal law

I don't go out much now, but was in the Woody a couple of weeks ago with about 10 other customers. ON A FRIDAY NIGHT!

Pretty soon there'll be more pubs shutting, and I won't be able to ask a taxi driver about it because half of them will probably be out of work too.

Tesco's are laughing though.

Compromise - don't be silly, you will never get that from the anti-smoking little Hitlers!

ASH are even campaining to stop people from smoking in their own cars!

When I took over the pub, it was on the understanding that it was on a temporary basis until the place closed.

As I understand it, I have it at least for the rest of the year, maybe longer. Who knows?

In the meantime, I'm doing my best to make it a nice place to be with some decent bands on. I'm sure I can't please everyone, but I'm doing what I can on the limitations set.

In the meantime, I'm doing my best to make it a nice place to be with some decent bands on. I'm sure I can't please everyone, but I'm doing what I can on the limitations set.

You are indeed. But can you get another draft lager in besides Carling? - such as Heineken or Grolsch? And maybe a decent stronger bitter?

On the contrary: The Times: The worst junk stats of 2007

Can't Say

“Smoking ban cut heart attacks in Scotland by 17 per cent”, researchers and politicians trumpeted to the world in September through press releases, a conference and interviews, all faithfully reported. It was the ban what done it, they said... until six weeks later when official data halved the drop — to 8 per cent — against a trend immediately before the ban of a 5 or 6 per cent drop, and a fall a few years ago of 11. All of which makes it hard to be sure what, if any, effect the ban really had. The researchers went strangely silent.

Is that the best you can do in support of your alarmist post:

"Wait till the stats come out for the number of childhood asthma attacks, excess alcohol (no measures at home), house fires, accidents at home etc. etc. come out next year."

Where is the evidence of house fires, asthma attacks, accidents etc.?

This is on a par with your contention that people would get MRSA from recycling bins.

S

Archived