Pub Shutting?

Lonan3

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Strand 58 will be next, they've let that place run down a bit haven't they? :huh: what a shit hole, and the last 2 saturdays i've popped in there for a pint there hasn't been more that a dozen people in there.

Shame really as a few years ago it was a great pub and always packed. :(

The addition of a pool table signalled the end for that place.

Still it will make a great Pizza Hut/Burger King/Starbucks*

*delete as appropriate

Actually changing it from the fun place that was Casey's in to the soulless hole that is Strand 58 was the end really, something they repeated with the first refurb of The Railway

Actually changing it from the fun place that was Casey's in to the soulless hole that is Strand 58 was the end really, something they repeated with the first refurb of The Railway

Nah the end was when they turned the New Strand into Casey's.

Nah the end was when they turned the New Strand into Casey's.

It did get rid of the Legs though, which was a good thing

• 1 month later...
Jurby hotel closed

Grosvenor Hotel closed

who next ?

Don't see how anyone can make a 'go' of it - with the Grand Island to soon become an Old Folks home for wealthy come-overs the north will soon be alcohol-free.

I worked on the building of Jurby School.

At the time there were standard pub hours and so all pubs opened at 10 in the morning. There were some of the building workers who couldn't or wouldn't start the day before having a pint in the pub next door. It was an eye opener for me to watch shaking hands calm down as the pint sank.

I'm sure there are plenty of happier stories regarding the place, but that's mine.

Archived