Steam-packet.com

Yorkie

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
maybe the Aussies are about to pull out ? though I did see on Tuesday that they had many leaflets advertising on-board jobs (maybe they can no longer afford Eastern Europeans so possibly the locals can now apply?)

I guess if some cybersquatter jumps in the cost of renewal will be high - consider how much it will cost to repaint the Ben's side and redo all their publicity material

On a partially related topic - those using the boat/train to/from Heysham - this is now down to just one train a day - you get to the port earlier and have an hour's wait for the departing train after the boat arrives - this train is carefully timed to ensure you just miss any London connection meaning an hour wait here.

The Steam Packet has stopped doing their live information spot on Manx Radio. Presumably they don't want to be embarassed by the number of cancellations and repairs.

Look on it as a job and profit creation scheme - getting rid of web based bookings means more call centre staff (probably in Bangalore) and the opportunity to avoid giving the 'online booking discount'....pity about customers and tourism

At least it is a period of relief from the Word from Woodward

Don't quite understand the "steam-packet.com expired on 11/29/2010" bit

Some registrars will renew the domain themselves when it expires, expecting that the owner actually wants it and has forgotten to renew. Currently it looks like network solutions has done this, transferred ownership to itself and are giving the packet the option to renew.

My understanding is, when a domain expires it goes into a 30-day redemption period. This gives the company an additional chance to-register. If they fail to register the domain in the redemption period, it goes into a 5-day "Pending-Delete" phase, it can't be renewed and it isn't available for registration. Following this 5-day period, it's in the public domain... (runs to get credit-card)

I see

http://www.manx.net/default.asp?id=18&articleid=8281

Mark Woodward, Chief Executive of the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company, said: “As soon as we became aware of an issue with our website, we immediately took steps to identify and have the problem fixed. The problem lay with third-party web hosting and administration providers who corrected their error yesterday. We apologise to customers wishing to access the website and make bookings, but can assure them that we have acted as swiftly as we can to rectify the situation, which arose due to an issue beyond our control.”

If it is, thats one big royal cock up by Network Solutions... I'm still not 100% sure.

Don't quite understand the "steam-packet.com expired on 11/29/2010" bit

Some registrars will renew the domain themselves when it expires, expecting that the owner actually wants it and has forgotten to renew. Currently it looks like network solutions has done this, transferred ownership to itself and are giving the packet the option to renew.

Lots of things don't get done when the world goes mad and things close down for Christmas and New Year.

Just when you might want to check out the website it's knackered. Hope the telephone update line is being kept up to date.

Manx Radio have put out a warning that tomorrows Birkenhead sailing may be cancelled due to the possibility of another nasty bit of weather coming up.

Some registrars will renew the domain themselves when it expires, expecting that the owner actually wants it and has forgotten to renew.

Ah, I see now. I wonder if they'll renew it for 10 years after the cock up?

Edit - No I don't. It the bit saying is saying it expired in 2010 that's confusing

What an immoral rip-off practice hijacking domain names is.

It's not been hijacked, network solutions are in effect preventing it from being hijacked. They're not auctioning it off at all, they'll re-reg it for the packet first. They're just giving them a second chance.

Manx Radio have put out a warning that tomorrows Birkenhead sailing may be cancelled due to the possibility of another nasty bit of weather coming up.

Bugger!

Any idea of the forecast for the weekend after? I'm meant to to be having a long weekend away then.

Archived