The Hop Garden

Minnie

ditto on the fresh fish, best batter around too. shouldnt worry about johns 'shameless plugs', he does that, anywhere he works , or has a chance to get in there, 'is the best ', OBVIOUSLY!!

ps. you prob know the chef there john, he will be deeply peed off, (as he should be) that you said what is completely false; and yes i know him too, and he only uses frersh fish with homemade beer batter.

Could have been the regular guys day off? Happens a fair bit. Went to the Creg this weekend, brought friends along and was saying how good it was the last time we were there a few weeks earlier, and it was bloody awful. Cut down menu for TT week and a fair bit of what was listed wasn't available, overpriced, shit portions and average food. Very dissapointing and can only assume there'd been a change of kitchen staff.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ditto on the fresh fish, best batter around too. shouldnt worry about johns 'shameless plugs', he does that, anywhere he works , or has a chance to get in there, 'is the best ', OBVIOUSLY!!

ps. you prob know the chef there john, he will be deeply peed off, (as he should be) that you said what is completely false; and yes i know him too, and he only uses frersh fish with homemade beer batter.

Could have been the regular guys day off? Happens a fair bit. Went to the Creg this weekend, brought friends along and was saying how good it was the last time we were there a few weeks earlier, and it was bloody awful. Cut down menu for TT week and a fair bit of what was listed wasn't available, overpriced, shit portions and average food. Very dissapointing and can only assume there'd been a change of kitchen staff.

Nahh according to ken I am lying, I did infact have a lovley meal.. i just made it all up... FFS

Ken must be related to the Chef, or maybe he is the chef.

neither john. i just know the quality that the chef there insists on, and there is no way a '99p shoprite type fish' was cooked there. maybe it wasnt great as most others agree the food is, and obviously not to YOUR liking, but i do think you have exagerated, as is the norm when non foodies/industry people comment on what they are not qualified or experienced in...

Ken, yep I am not a qualified chef, so fair cop, but I think i am the most qualified person in the world when it comes to what i do and don't like.

This is not a slagging match between you and me etc, its justthat the fish portion i ordered was not the lightly battered "fishshop" style that your self and Slim etc must have had.

As i will check the menu and see what I had, as I think it was breaded plaice, rather than the battered cod etc. If i do go there again I will make sure I order the beer battered fish.

breaded plaice dont have batter.....beer battered cod is unmistakable...even to non chefs john...so quick to judge and slag people off, affecting their reputation....no one wants that ever! let alone the current climate when everyone is fighting for business. especially someone like yourself, who is well known, and a prolific poster on here...

Nahh according to ken I am lying, I did infact have a lovley meal.. i just made it all up... FFS

Ken must be related to the Chef, or maybe he is the chef.

neither john. i just know the quality that the chef there insists on, and there is no way a '99p shoprite type fish' was cooked there. maybe it wasnt great as most others agree the food is, and obviously not to YOUR liking, but i do think you have exagerated, as is the norm when non foodies/industry people comment on what they are not qualified or experienced in...

I hav'nt been for a while but i loved the food, good generous portions and a nice atmosphere but the women who waited our table had really long hair, it was'nt tied back and she kept running her hands through it.

If you have long hair and work with food it really is a must to tie your hair back. Like i said the food is great so its a shame something so simple lets it down.

Ken, yep I am not a qualified chef, so fair cop, but I think i am the most qualified person in the world when it comes to what i do and don't like.

This is not a slagging match between you and me etc, its justthat the fish portion i ordered was not the lightly battered "fishshop" style that your self and Slim etc must have had.

As i will check the menu and see what I had, as I think it was breaded plaice, rather than the battered cod etc. If i do go there again I will make sure I order the beer battered fish.

breaded plaice dont have batter.....beer battered cod is unmistakable...even to non chefs john...so quick to judge and slag people off, affecting their reputation....no one wants that ever! let alone the current climate when everyone is fighting for business. especially someone like yourself, who is well known, and a prolific poster on here...

slowwwwwwwwwwww down , i am entitled to my opinion Ken.. and the fish i was served had a hard brown coating.. it was nothing like "fresh Beer batter" so please forgive my lack of qualification, but i do know what nice crispy "fishshop" like batter is like, this was more like a hard outer coating.. sorry if I do not know the professional term for it.

I have eaten there before and the food was a lot better, but that was well over a year ago.

everyone is entitled to their opinion...and most places i know of, inc this one, welcome feedback. 'hard brown coating' er breadcrumbs perhaps, which as you say is nowt like beer batter!! come on john, how old are you, and how many times have you eaten out. its hardly technical stuff now.....if you dont like something, thats one thing, just dont be so quick to criticise if your facts aint straight!! peoples livelyhoods and reputations are at stake..........

In an earlier post I explained that i ahd been to the Hop Garden for dinner and was not happy with the fish i had recieved. It was infact the breadcrump coating that I disliked, the service etc was all excellent.

I describing it as 99p from shoprite fish, i was trying to descride the coating. As everyone else seemed to be really happy with the fresh battered fish, and this was not what i'd had.

Like I saod above, the service was excellent, fast friendly etc and the chef there is a great guy.

i just did not like the coating on my fish, thats all.

sorry

i just did not like the coating on my fish, thats all.

I wouldn't over stress it, you're expressing an opinion on a matter of taste which will always be subjective. There's plenty of positive reviews to balance the view.

.....beer battered cod is unmistakable...even to non chefs john...so quick to judge and slag people off, affecting their reputation....no one wants that ever! let alone the current climate when everyone is fighting for business. especially someone like yourself, who is well known, and a prolific poster on here...

Lighten up Ken. It's hardly like John ( no disrepect to him) is the Giles Coren or the A.A. Gill of the Manx restaurant world is it?. Just expressing his opinion as forums exist to encourage people to do.

In real life I might relate mention to a my mate I had a not particularly good dining experience at XYZ restaurant. But I wouldn't be trying to put that restaurant out of business.

To be honest if I mention to a couple of people I am taking my car for a service at XYZ garage, one may say "don't touch them with a bargepole" the other might say "they did a great job on my car, very reasonable". Peoples experiences and perceptions differ regardless of the current climate. One can only offer one's own experience

It may be sexy but you wouldnt want a hair in your dinner would you?? My hair is down to my bum and I have to restrain it when dishing up food, also it's hard to eat an ice cream in the wind :P

Arrr Icecream... now thats sexy !!!!

:D

Archived