Bay Festival

bluemonday

Surely you might as well just go and see those sort of corporate acts at a sports ground in the UK or watch them on TV. Isn't the point of a festival that it should have some atmosphere and should be a genuinely organic event? And a little bit manic.

This isn't really a festival though is it? One stage, evening only concerts, no or small scale camping, finished by 10pm. It's a series of three concerts in a tent really, though I could be proved wrong. Thats what the Peel one was.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a series of three concerts in a tent really ... Thats what the Peel one was.

But didn't it end up needing govt support previously? Into the back pockets of already wealthy rock acts.

If I'm wrong - if the thing pays for itself then it is up to the organizers what they do and good luck to them.

I do not think that govt money should be best spent on big signature corporate rock acts or imitation indie groups. Much better for govt support to go to a variety of smaller events which nurture the culture in general.

• 2 weeks later...

Been giving it some thought and restricting it to bands who still play or where they could re-form...

The Stooges (obviously it would have to be the Raw Power line up now:( )

Pop Will Eat Itself

AC/DC

The Prodigy

Blondie

Motorhead

The Pogues

The Cure

David Bowie

New York Dolls

Devo

Kraftwerk

Echo And The Bunnymen (who are only a boat-ride away...)

World Famous Audio Hacker

Me First And THe Gimme Gimmes

The Hives

The Jesus and Mary Chain

The Stooges (obviously it would have to be the Raw Power line up now:( )

I think they've begun rehearsals with James Williamson taking over on guitar - as he did on Raw Power. Ron Ashton had switched to bass for Raw Power, so that position can't be filled by an original member and Mike Watt will therefore fill that role (as he did during the Ron Ashton reformation). Rather interesting that the stand-in Watt probably has a track record greater than most of the Stooges.

I think they've begun rehearsals with James Williamson taking over on guitar - as he did on Raw Power.

Yes, this is what I'd heard a couple of weeks ago

Ron Ashton had switched to bass for Raw Power, so that position can't be filled by an original member and Mike Watt will therefore fill that role (as he did during the Ron Ashton reformation). Rather interesting that the stand-in Watt probably has a track record greater than most of the Stooges.

The thing that surprised me was that they managed to get James Williamson to play - the last I heard he was some kind of top exec at Sony Electronics (amazing, since he was supposedly the bad lad of the band) and hadn't touched a guitar for years.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably controversial but personally I'd hate to see any local bands play at the festival. Yes it's great experience for the band and their Mums, Dads and girlfriends but given the opportunity I'd rather see an unknown/new/up coming band from further afield for my money than someone I can see down the Traff any time I want.

Saw Davy Knowles latest video on Youtube and I think it would be great if he could get a slot in the festival somewhere. Assume he wont be playing too many IOM gigs between now and then so I think this would be a great 'homecoming' gig and would be a real manxie celebration for a boy done good !!

Heh.. Looks like I'm stalking you tonight Mr T. Saw Gong at Glasto too this year for the first time in eons. (they were just the ame)

Not sure how well they'd go down at a festival in Douglas though.:)

I take it we know each other then? Cool :D

I'm off to see them in November. Woop. And I reckon even Douglas people would get into it!

• 3 weeks later...
Probably controversial but personally I'd hate to see any local bands play at the festival. Yes it's great experience for the band and their Mums, Dads and girlfriends but given the opportunity I'd rather see an unknown/new/up coming band from further afield for my money than someone I can see down the Traff any time I want.

Agree.

Archived