Bay Festival

bluemonday

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Optimistically I'd like to see the likes of : Biffy Clyro , Kasabian , Wildhearts , Specials , Levellers along with the local bands that actually write and play their own stuff .

Realistically I don't know what we'll get judging by the line up from last time. In fairness The Who and Madness are big names but the rest of the bill was a bit of a random mixture .

They've got a difficult balancing act to achieve. The new festivals that have been successful in the last few years - Bestival, Green Man, All Tomorrow's Parties, Download, etc have been built around providing something special to a niche market. Done properly people will travel here, but the booking policy needs flare and experience in that field.

The other option is to bring a big name in, but there needs to be some exclusivity about this performance - for example the only UK Performance of 2010 by Metallica or AC/DC or the only summer festival appearance by Coldplay or Muse. You'd then have to build a bill of metal acts or classic rock bands or over-emotional whingers around who your headliner. You might even get them to "curate" (marketing speak for getting their mates on the bill).

However, either of the above options will reduce the local audience, so if they went that route they'd have to be absolutely sure that they could attract sufficient numbers from across.

The alternative is to appeal to the local market and hope for some extra numbers from across. But this relys on 1 in 8 locals going. To do that I think they are going to try to be all things to all people. The danger there is you might go to the festival because you quite like Madness, but end up having to sit through Bonnie Tyler. That might work the first year in getting but it'd be a bit meh atmosphere wise and would impact on ticket sales the following year.

I think that the Nunnary people seem to have the right idea, rather than going for eyechatching names they are looking at the experience as a whole.

If I was into this sort of thing (and I'm not), then one of the items on my wishlist would be the option of skinning up or snorting stuff without running the risk of ending up in prison. Until the Isle of Man's authorities change their hysterical stance on this side of yoot culture there will never be a decent festival over here. You're more than welcome to come and kill yourself or somebody else in a motorbike festival, but take drugs? You need to be saved from yourself and your folly you foolish fool............. ; ))

EVERYBODY MAKE SOME NOISE! NOT THAT MUCH THOUGH! THERE ARE PEOPLE TRYING TO SLEEP OVER THERE! SSSHHH.............!

They've got a difficult balancing act to achieve. The new festivals that have been successful in the last few years - Bestival, Green Man, All Tomorrow's Parties, Download, etc have been built around providing something special to a niche market. Done properly people will travel here, but the booking policy needs flare and experience in that field.

Those sorts of festivals work partly because people can squeeze into their mate's car and drive there. Or get the train or the National Express to somewhere nearby. Even the recreated IOW festival is just a short cheap ferry journey from major population centers.

Most of the well established festivals also evolved over many years - starting out as basically gatherings of friends and friends of friends.

Keyboarder makes a good point about dope etc too. Like it or not a lot of people expect to be able to smoke a bit of dope when they are camping at a festival. Even the professional people with fla$h city jobs who are enjoying letting their hair down and getting muddy for the weekend. That kind of behavior isn't going to go down well here.

The successful festivals (ents events management in general) basically grew out of a laid back liberal artsy atmosphere which is difficult to find on the mostly quite conservative IOM. You cannot manufacture a culture which does not exist.

The Big Bopper

Ritchie Valens

Buddy Holly

Hey, Richie Valens. Remember "Tell Laura I love her"?

I once went into a branch of WH Smith and asked the hatchet-faced old harridan behind the counter if they had "Tell Laura". Her face softened, and in an instant the years fell away and I found myself looking at a young girl.

"Richie Valens", she breathed, and a far-away look came into her eyes, which were misting rapidly. "This way!". She came bouncing out from behind the counter, and almost skipped to a rack of tapes which she quickly rummaged through. "Here!", she cried, holding up the desired article. She then went silent for a moment, recalling no doubt some amorous interlude that had lain dormant in her memory for many years.

In a few moments she came back to earth, dazzled me with a most unexpected smile, and proceeded to wrap my purchase.

If you want to live forever in people's hearts, die young.

S

Nice story :)

"Tell Laura" was though a hit for the Welsh singer Ricky Valance, not Ritchie Valens, who of couse was lost with Buddy Holly and The Big Bopper.

For my wish list of the living, I'd like to see Kitty, Daisy and Lewis

No one's mentioned Billy Bragg?!

Oh, is there a "Don't want" list?

Two stages are needed I reckon, illustrated by this thread, you can't please everyone. The single tent doesn't really accommodate that though, which is a shame.

We've all got to accept that anything here will be a compromise and support the effort all the same. Hoping for someone of the stature of some of the better bands we've had over, Plant, Who, Doves, Madness and KT Tunstall aren't headline acts but have all put on great shows.

I'm thinking the reality is an 'on the wane' band like Kiesers.

No one's mentioned Billy Bragg?!

Oh, is there a "Don't want" list?

Two stages are needed I reckon, illustrated by this thread, you can't please everyone. The single tent doesn't really accommodate that though, which is a shame.

We've all got to accept that anything here will be a compromise and support the effort all the same. Hoping for someone of the stature of some of the better bands we've had over, Plant, Who, Doves, Madness and KT Tunstall aren't headline acts but have all put on great shows.

I'm thinking the reality is an 'on the wane' band like Kiesers.

Surely you might as well just go and see those sort of corporate acts at a sports ground in the UK or watch them on TV. Isn't the point of a festival that it should have some atmosphere and should be a genuinely organic event? And a little bit manic.

It seems to me that people here are just listing bands which they think they like. Which is quite different from asking what sort of event would actually work on the IOM.

The IOM has a festival which could easily be developed into a unique event on the folk and world circuit. Which, remember, is how many of the festivals began. And lots of acts are basically crossover eg Billy Bragg who is absolutely steeped in folk tradition and knowledge. And there is the jazz festival.

Trying to create a lame version of V or 02 is a rubbish idea. Much better to create or support events which are genuinely organic and sustainable.

But, on the other hand, if the thing is any good it won't need support because it will be self supporting. In which case fine.

ETA: if they try to create an event with broad appeal they will end up creating an event with very little appeal.

Archived