New To The Isle Of Man, Looking For A Job With Computers

Salamandrix

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely, though, there's no shortage of home-grown computer men with bad English - a trait they all seem to possess, probably gained from years of reading scripts and writing in internet short-hand instead of reading books and talking to real people.

Good luck in your search though, Sal.

Surely, though, there's no shortage of home-grown computer men with bad English - a trait they all seem to possess, probably gained from years of reading scripts and writing in internet short-hand instead of reading books and talking to real people.

You will probably find that the standard of spoken and written English is higher amongst IT professionals (or "computer men" as you so eloquently put it) than amongst the general population - certainly they tend to read more books than your average non-"computer man". And they do spend a lot of time talking to real non-IT people. The conversations tend to go as follows...

Hello, IT Department. How can I help?

Yeah, my thing's broke.

Your thing?

Yeah. Compu'er.

Your computer's not working?

Yeah. I switched it on and it had a message.

OK, what was the message?

Dunno. Some crap about "install" and "Don't switch off".

I see. And what's it doing now?

Nothing. Switched it off.

Well Thanks for compliment of "Bad English", in my case, I went to the best School in my original country where all the sons and daughters or Amabassadors go. The British School.... I went there at age 4 to 5, and Spanish is just 1 more subject, everything else is in English. We used to sing God Save the Queen and other related songs :)

Of course I have a nice Accent, as I didn't speak the language for several years and accent tends to build on urself depending where u are... But my level is so high I could teach English. Also if u add the Business and Technical english I have constantly dealing with... well lets say my Vocabulary might be several thousand words on top of yours.

But then again I don't understand why when someone ask for help, there are always the "Smart" guys that think they are better than the rest... and have a license to make an azz of themselves...

I personally love the Island.... its a great place and I know jobs are slim everywhere.... but even in my Original country we have people from UK working there...

And so u know... Uruguay is the only country in all 3 Americas to have no Natives(... they were all killed and used in local wars between 1700-1900...)

Also we have close to none black people(A few come from Brazil or sport contracts, so is rare to see them on the street) so there is no racism...

We are all descendant from Italian/Spanish people.

There are no Forests, only plains... no high elevations, and nothing ever happens there...

And it was the 1st country in all 3 Americas to go 100% digital in Telecomunications.

Its similar to Swiss banks in the Banking Secrecy, so we have big capitals from Argentina and other countrys from the south.

Well there u go, more info about life and things :)

Take care, love to all, including haters :P

I'm not one of these people who gets all "Queen's English" about the language at all, whether it's spoken or written down, but i hope for your sake you don't use the same style of language in your job application letters as you do on here because it's full of errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

No Natives

Also we have close to none black people

There are no Forests, and nothing ever happens there...

Its similar to Swiss banks in the Banking Secrecy,

I think you'll like it here then!

I'm not one of these people who gets all "Queen's English" about the language at all, whether it's spoken or written down, but i hope for your sake you don't use the same style of language in your job application letters as you do on here because it's full of errors in spelling, grammar, and punctuation.

I think you'll like it here then!

It's true, I don't care much about punctuation in a forum or post, as we tend to make shortcuts when posting in forums or chatting.

Punctuation, spelling and grammar, has to be perfect at work, translations, or when writting a book(yes I am writting a Sci Fi Book and I also like to do Oil Paintings, but depends on my free time ;)).

But here is all about speed and having a nice time:) and yes I type like a super charged Quad turbo Sports car ;)

Cheers ;)

Which would be, get off your lazy arse and go get a job....... :D

Personally I have never tried applying for jobs via a public forum and don't ever plan too. I find the more direct approach is a lot more productive.

There's also more jobs out there than the one you want to do, in the meantime. I'll let you work the rest out, you seem intelligent enough.....

Which would be, get off your lazy arse and go get a job....... :D

Personally I have never tried applying for jobs via a public forum and don't ever plan too. I find the more direct approach is a lot more productive.

There's also more jobs out there than the one you want to do, in the meantime. I'll let you work the rest out, you seem intelligent enough.....

SO what makes you think this is the only place I have been looking for a job?

This is just 1 more door to open, one more way to get to know the people of this Island.

Not the only way.

I am not Narrowminded, and you should try to think more positive about people ;)

Yes I am registered in some job agencies but it shouldn't hurt to extend my networking with this forum.

Cheers ;)

Well Thanks for compliment of "Bad English", in my case, I went to the best School in my original country where all the sons and daughters or Amabassadors go. The British School.... I went there at age 4 to 5, and Spanish is just 1 more subject, everything else is in English. We used to sing God Save the Queen and other related songs :)

Of course I have a nice Accent, as I didn't speak the language for several years and accent tends to build on urself depending where u are... But my level is so high I could teach English. Also if u add the Business and Technical english I have constantly dealing with... well lets say my Vocabulary might be several thousand words on top of yours.

But then again I don't understand why when someone ask for help, there are always the "Smart" guys that think they are better than the rest... and have a license to make an azz of themselves...

I personally love the Island.... its a great place and I know jobs are slim everywhere.... but even in my Original country we have people from UK working there...

And so u know... Uruguay is the only country in all 3 Americas to have no Natives(... they were all killed and used in local wars between 1700-1900...)

Also we have close to none black people(A few come from Brazil or sport contracts, so is rare to see them on the street) so there is no racism...

We are all descendant from Italian/Spanish people.

There are no Forests, only plains... no high elevations, and nothing ever happens there...

And it was the 1st country in all 3 Americas to go 100% digital in Telecomunications.

Its similar to Swiss banks in the Banking Secrecy, so we have big capitals from Argentina and other countrys from the south.

Well there u go, more info about life and things :)

Take care, love to all, including haters :P

'.........and nothing ever happens there.'

Uruguay has a population of 3.46 million people. They can't all be comatosed.

Archived