Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I see the Kindle is now available in for the UK but not for the Isle of Man. I presume it will need some deal with Manx Telecom, which could take a while, if ever, before content will be available here?

The data rates are pretty evil even for UK users. 99c per meg, ouchey.

The data rates are pretty evil even for UK users. 99c per meg, ouchey.

Is that only for your own content though? I assume Amazon ebook content is "free"

Right...

The Kindle is the most fantastic thing ever and here is why:

http://xkcd.com/548/

1) Free access to wikipedia and wikitravel - what a fantastic thing. Consider: eventually when trapped in a foreign city we can bring up information on places to eat, local customs, basic phrases all for free

2) Books are cheaper and there seems to be no difference in strain on the eye from reading these on paper or on kindle

3) budget airline luggage allowance are the bane of my life - 20kg is not enough for the books i want to read especially if I am going to a country where books in languages I an read aren't available

4) news and magazine subscriptions for pennies

5) books are cheaper

6) it is much more enviromentally friendly than the 'deadwood' editions of books

7) project Guttenburg and the like allow free access to books out of copyright - most of the classics and some new stuff which is also free

8) you will never be bored if you have a kindle

Also on the other point about manx telecom - this works with 02 and as such we should be able to get coverage sorted out when the island wakes up a bit to this sort of thing

The thing in the UK is about £250, for that you could buy a Sony e-reader and a crap load of e-books.

I like the idea of a e-reader but cant justify it, there is something inherently more pleasurable about reading a proper book compared to having it on a screen.

Yup - give me a proper book anytime....

One problem with these ebook things is that if you lose it - not only have you lost an expensive gadget, but also all of the books. If I'm out and leave a paperback book in a cafe, I've only lost a few quid.

Plus, for me anyway, the smell of a second hand bookshop is a delight..... are there any on the island apart from the charity shops?

The thing in the UK is about £250, for that you could buy a Sony e-reader and a crap load of e-books.

I like the idea of a e-reader but cant justify it, there is something inherently more pleasurable about reading a proper book compared to having it on a screen.

Yup - give me a proper book anytime....

One problem with these ebook things is that if you lose it - not only have you lost an expensive gadget, but also all of the books. If I'm out and leave a paperback book in a cafe, I've only lost a few quid.

Plus, for me anyway, the smell of a second hand bookshop is a delight..... are there any on the island apart from the charity shops?

1) try not to lose it

2) i'm pretty sure that the books are backed up in your Amazon account and so are not lost

Although if you buy anything from the Kindle store Amazon can revoke access to it at any time with no explanation warning or refund, as per their terms and conditions.

As for being cheaper I think you will find that is not always the case.

Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman - Kindle $11.49 - Real book - $7.99

http://www.amazon.com/Anansi-Boys-ebook/dp...9927&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Anansi-Boys-Neil-Gai...9953&sr=8-1

Although if you buy anything from the Kindle store Amazon can revoke access to it at any time with no explanation warning or refund, as per their terms and conditions.

As they did recently with "1984", although they now seem to have sorted that and apologised fore the way they handled it

As they did recently with "1984", although they now seem to have sorted that and apologised fore the way they handled it

Exactly, proving they are willing to enforce their terms.

Also

Mort by Terry Pratchett - Kindle Book - $11.03 - Real Book - $7.99

http://www.amazon.com/Mort/dp/B000W967UQ/r...0239&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Mort-Terry-Pratchett...248&sr=1-11

oldgit: Not entirely sure how the roaming data rates work to be honest. You might be right.

Is it? Looks like £175 to me?

I'm a bit the same, and I love me toys. I love the library too, going down and spending half an hour just browsing, plus its so cheap its practically free.

Kev: Many of the charity shops/oxfam etc have good book sections. I high recommend libraries though, they rule! I'd far rather kindle tied to a library type subscription. That model makes far better sense to me for books..

Guys... this is progress....

You are the kind of people who would might historically have said "an internet forum for Manx people, that will never take off" but look at it now! Ok, bad example.

You get the point.

I think in the future this view of books as being sacred (which we have inherited as a nation because they are so closely linked to knowledge and its availability which IS sacred) will be abandoned. Books have been, up to now, the best way of communicating knowledge and are, therefore, sacred. But, looking forward, I think things will change.

Also, even if you can pick the odd example (or even the frequent example) of a book being more expensive digitally than in deadwood think of all the books which will be freely available which before you would have had to pay for - million (literally) of titles.

Archived