Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

I would imagine the wireless coverage is arranged in the same way as the PocketSurfer and a deals been done with one or more network providers. Given that the PocketSurfer doesn't work here either I'd be surprised if a deal with an IOM network was forthcoming given the relatively small number of potential subscribers.

Anyone actually tried a 3g kindle over here? Amazon have removed the roaming charges with the new version.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a ver 3 on order, but went for WiFi only. Happy enough to only buy books and sync at home or in a WiFi zone.

Smart, let me know how you get on.

I'd be the same with wifi at home, but I'm still tempted to get the 3g one if only for using the phone network for holidays n travel.

are these locked like phones? - otherwise get one and a MT £5/month data sim ?

I've been having a play with the kindle ipad app (as well as ibooks), both seem to work very well and i've had no eyestrain issues

I've been having a play with the kindle ipad app (as well as ibooks), both seem to work very well and i've had no eyestrain issues

I think the sims are tied to the service. Not about to buy an ipad any time soon, way over budget!

Although if you buy anything from the Kindle store Amazon can revoke access to it at any time with no explanation warning or refund, as per their terms and conditions.

As they did recently with "1984", although they now seem to have sorted that and apologised fore the way they handled it

Exactly, proving they are willing to enforce their terms.

Also

Mort by Terry Pratchett - Kindle Book - $11.03 - Real Book - $7.99

http://www.amazon.com/Mort/dp/B000W967UQ/r...0239&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Mort-Terry-Pratchett...248&sr=1-11

Mort- what a great book!

My kindle arrived yesterday and it has easily exceeded my expectations. About the same size as a standard paperback except a lot thinner - it easily fits into the leg pocket of my cargo pants which a lot of books don't. The screen is very easy to read, you can resize the fonts in seconds, listen to my music at the same time, books come down in seconds over the wifi etc etc

3G doesn't work but I knew it wouldn't and it will work where I need it to which is when I'm away from home. In the last four trips away I've run out of books each time as you can't carry enough reading material on a motorbike or on a ryan air flight.

I'm away again in a couple of weeks and a book I want will be published on amazon as an ebook the same day as the hardback comes out so I'll be able to get that despite not being in the UK.

The only sslight negative so far has been that PDF's don't quite fit on the screen as the navigation display bar takes up the bottom 5% or so and the PDF is under that so you can't read the last or so line of text. There may be a way to hide the bar of that I haven't actually looked for yet. I suppose it might be in the instructions :)

Webrowsing is ok, not fantastic. The audio is pretty good - I could actually hear the bass in a track using the internal speakers. No real playlist support (etc) yet but it is still a nice little feature.

As soon as my g/f saw it she wanted one. It is a book killer...

I'm wanting a Kindle DX as I need to read large documents such as drawings. I can't find a UK seller although I'm tempted to go secondhand on Ebay.

Any suggestions?

Yeah, don't bother. These things are really bad at anything but plain text.

I was curious about the previous versions, but the new 3G version finally convinced me: just ordered one in anticipation of a long return flight to New Zealand in a couple of months. It seems I should have pre-ordered, though: I've now got a 3 week wait before it ships. I hope it gets here before I leave... Already lining up some of the nicely converted Project Gutenberg freebies to put on it!

Since I had to order from the US (Amazon UK only ships them to the UK) I also looked at the DX. Besides being ridiculously expensive by comparison, I'd have gone for the smaller form factor on the basis of convenience in any case.

Since I had to order from the US

be prepared to pay the VAT before it's delivered.....

When you order from Amazon Export (the bit dealing in the US with international deliveries) they calculate and deduct a deposit covering the taxes which are paid by their handling agent. I've ordered from them a few times and they've always got it spot on. I was surprised that getting a Kindle shipped to me from the US was actually quite a few quid cheaper than walking into an electronics retailer and getting a similarly sized (but otherwise inferior) ebook reader here.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived