Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, asked a friendly colonial to pick me one up.

It took me 2 days to get around to rooting (piece of piss) it so now I have access to the android store. An unfortunate necessity as the Amazon store/videos/music (books are fine) aren't available to UK users yet.

Even in "stock" mode it shows great potential and is easy to use.

• 3 months later...

Mine broke about a fortnight out of warranty and they told me to go fuck myself. I used to spend about a grand a year on amazon and I won't buy anything from them ever again

They're just not repairable. When they break inside warantee you get a replacement. If it breaks outside, it's cheaper to just buy a new one.

Mine broke about a fortnight out of warranty and they told me to go fuck myself. I used to spend about a grand a year on amazon and I won't buy anything from them ever again

I contacted them about mine in which the case had cracked just a few days over the 12 months. At first they didn't want to know until I mentioned the 1979 Sale of Goods Act (of which I'm sure you're aware) under which the retailer is responsible for the product being "fit for purpose". That means that should the product fail at any time in its lifetime (the definitions of which are variable but should be at least 4/5 years for something like a Kindle) then Amazon, as the retailer, are responsible for getting it fixed or replaced, at no cost to you. The fact that there was plenty of evidence that this is a common fault then clearly the argument that it is not fit for purpose could've been fairly easily won. They however quickly backed down and sent me a replacement. I asked would this new one have a 12 month warranty from the day I received it but apparently not? No worries though because if anything happens to this one I'll mention the SoGA again.

Archived