Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

On the Island? That would be a bit of a bonus. How does one do that wonderous thing then Mr Slim?

Go to settings and type 311 (you have to use the alt keys, work it out in a search box or something before you get to the settings page). This gives you a choice of carriers, choose a 2g/gprs one and it works just fine.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Island? That would be a bit of a bonus. How does one do that wonderous thing then Mr Slim?

Go to settings and type 311 (you have to use the alt keys, work it out in a search box or something before you get to the settings page). This gives you a choice of carriers, choose a 2g/gprs one and it works just fine.

Can you give a bit more info - I can't seem to enter in 311 at all.

Never mind I found it. alt + top row of letters on keyboard = numbers 1-9

Thanks for the 311 tip

I am thinking it depends where you are on the Island. My kindle is not new but I did get 3G on Douglas Prom in April , down the far end towards Port Jack, and two weeks ago got 3G in Castletown although my friend standing next to me could not get 3G at all on his kindle. Weird or what?

There are plenty of free Wi-Fi's around. I recommend Davidsons Ice Cream Parlor free Wi-Fi near the Gaiety. Downloaded all my requested books to the kindle , yesterday, very fast whilst I was wading through a large double scooop Ice Cream.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not quite in the spirit of the thread here, but it is Kindle related. I got given a Kindle 3G as a gift a few months ago and I have to say, it is one of the best things I have ever had.

Went to turn it on yesterday and the screen was buggered for want of a better word. Full of horizontal lines, unable to reboot it and definitely not able to read any of the books on there. Bearing in mind I bought it from Tesco, I gave Amazon's customer service a call. One thing I will say is thank god I registered it when I got it.

To cut a long story short, they are sending me a brand new replacement one which should be here by Saturday. All I have to do is send the damaged one back within 30 days of receiving the replacement.

Absolutely can't fault their customer service and am more than surprised with what they have done. I was expecting to have to send the broken one back and take it from there. Definite thumbs up for Amazon.

Definite thumbs up for Amazon.

It used to be appalling but in the last couple of years their customer service has become the standard that others should try to match IMHO. On the few occasions I've had to contact them for support they've been excellent.

It used to be appalling but in the last couple of years their customer service has become the standard that others should try to match IMHO. On the few occasions I've had to contact them for support they've been excellent.

I must admit, it is the first time I have had to contact their customer service. I think if I am going to buy electricals in the future, Amazon will be my first port of call.

Not quite in the spirit of the thread here, but it is Kindle related. I got given a Kindle 3G as a gift a few months ago and I have to say, it is one of the best things I have ever had.

Went to turn it on yesterday and the screen was buggered for want of a better word. Full of horizontal lines, unable to reboot it and definitely not able to read any of the books on there. Bearing in mind I bought it from Tesco, I gave Amazon's customer service a call. One thing I will say is thank god I registered it when I got it.

To cut a long story short, they are sending me a brand new replacement one which should be here by Saturday. All I have to do is send the damaged one back within 30 days of receiving the replacement.

Absolutely can't fault their customer service and am more than surprised with what they have done. I was expecting to have to send the broken one back and take it from there. Definite thumbs up for Amazon.

Had the same thing.... 10 minutes on the phone and a new one arrived a couple of days later. Was most impressed

My wife had three in all which went faulty so we gave up on the Kindle in the end. As you say Amazon were great and when we refused a further replacement they refunded us for the books we had purchased as well as the cost of the Kindle.

I am just looking forwards to getting my replacement, I am having withdrawal symptoms already. I was quite surprised at how quickly it was dispatched. I called at 8.30pm last night and by 2.30pm today, the email had been sent saying that it was on its way.

Looking on the net, it does seem to be a fairly common problem, but I am willing to give this one another go. I was pleasantly surprised that when I send the faulty one back, I will get the postage refunded. Definitely not complaining!

Archived