Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh here come the Internet police...piracy happens, get over it

It's no different from stealing from shops or your family or neighbours.

Or the pennies from a corpse's eyes! Or a child's teddy bear! Or a charity collection tin! Or a blanket from a tramp! Or a banana from a monkey! Or water from a fish bowl!

That's bs Modey. You are stealing people's livelihood. The fact that that you are stealing a licence rather than something which is physical makes no difference.

But more importantly - you are undermining the processes which deliver you the content and ideas which you appreciate and enjoy. If you like and appreciate something why would you want to steal it ?

I assume you expect to get paid for your labour. If so then you have no reason to assume that it is okay to steal content from content producers.

That's bs Modey. You are stealing people's livelihood. The fact that that you are stealing a licence rather than something which is physical makes no difference.

But more importantly - you are undermining the processes which deliver you the content and ideas which you appreciate and enjoy. If you like and appreciate something why would you want to steal it ?

I assume you expect to get paid for your labour. If so then you have no reason to assume that it is okay to steal content from content producers.

It also raises prices for the majority who are honest.

It makes a huge difference to say it's like stealing from my friends and family to aquiring a pirate copy of a book, it doesn't even compare.

Most of the books i downloaded i would never have bought anyway due to the price so the publisher etc is no worse of than they were, they still get paid, if amazon didn't take the piss with the prices of kindle books ( some of whic are priced higher than actual books) then i would happily pay for them, but until that happens i will download them from the likes of warezzbb.

To say piracy harms sales, publishers etc is a load of rubbish, just look at the music and film industry,thousands

of people have been downloading music and films for years but that is still strong and itunes now has more sales than physical cd's

so get of your high horse and get with the times ;)

It also raises prices for the majority who are honest.

no it doesn't, so stop talking rubbish, or maybe have some facts to back up your claim?

Most of the books i downloaded i would never have bought anyway

That seems to be one of the most frequent excuses used.

if amazon didn't take the piss with the prices of kindle books ( some of whic are priced higher than actual books)

I think printed books are VAT free whereas electronic books have VAT added which isn't helping the situation.

I doubt it. Just saying that "I wouldn't have bought them anyway" seems to crop up a lot when discussing piracy

Thats the thing though you do tend to download things you never would have bought, it actually works the other way with music, i have discovered loads of bands that i had never heard of through the likes of early napster, soulseek etc and have gone on to buy their music and go to their concerts.

I do tend to end up buying a lot of the music i download if i like it as i want to own the actual cd, but i can't see the same thing happening with books

piracy-600x597.jpg

I love this analogy because while it is basically correct it misses the point completely.

The fact is if you pirate something you are depriving the content provider from a potential sale which is the same as taking money from their pocket.

I also love the "well I wouldn't buy it any way" argument, because if its not worth your money why is it worth your time?

Another classic you have used which is bollocks is the "its to expensive" argument, you just spent £110 on a kindle, that's the same as 18 books, based on a paper back price of around £6.

I have tried to use these arguments in the past but the fact is you pirate because you can, because its free, and because you will most probably get away with it. Doesn't mean your not a dick that's depriving content providers from their income.

I have seen the error of my ways, mostly, however I still do download things I own in another format, or its just not/never will be available in this country or its "abandonware".

Most of the books i downloaded i would never have bought anyway due to the price so the publisher etc is no worse of than they were

Yes but you grab everything you can and sift through it looking for the ones you want. And then don't buy them. So you are depriving the authors of income. And the "go to the concert" argument clearly does not apply.

If something is made available to download legitimately then I just cannot see any reason to not go the legitimate route. Kindle books even provide free sample excerpts to read. So you can see whether you are interested.

You mentioned Napster --- Napster was interesting because iTunes did not exist and the music industry was failing to get its act together. But it wasn't the stuff being 'free' which was the groundbreaking aspect. But iTunes (or Amazon mp3) is a much better solution.

It makes a huge difference to say it's like stealing from my friends and family to aquiring a pirate copy of a book, it doesn't even compare.

Well I suppose if none of your friends or family are in any way connected with the business of content distribution. But that seems unlikely.

Copyright infringement ultimately undermines the future of an open internet since it adds weight to the arguments which will be used to impose greater control. Especially since it will be argued that many of the channels used for the distribution of unlicensed content are also used for the propagation of malware linked to the credit card botnets etc.

the fact is you pirate because you can, because its free, and because you will most probably get away with it

yep :D :D a few internet warriors on a message board aren't going to change my mind

Agreed, and I'm not trying to, but using the whole "piracy isn't theft" argument just makes you seem either stupid or like you have no understanding of what you are doing.

I wonder if its possible to have a thread about the Kindle or Digital Distribution with out it descending it to an argument about piracy, its almost "Goodwin-like" in its inevitability

Archived