Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They do, they have both versions. I went for the 3G one as I travel across a few times a year. IIRC, the 3G one is £153 and the ordinary one is £111.

I was very glad that I registered it at Amazon as as I mentioned above, replacement is on its way. That will serve me right for losing the bloody till receipt from Tesco!

They do, they have both versions. I went for the 3G one as I travel across a few times a year. IIRC, the 3G one is £153 and the ordinary one is £111.

I was very glad that I registered it at Amazon as as I mentioned above, replacement is on its way. That will serve me right for losing the bloody till receipt from Tesco!

Cheers. Yeah, good of amazon to honour it, often you just get sent back to the retailer.

If anyone is planning to buy a kindle then look at the refurbished kindles on amazon uk. Amazon sells them direct with a warranty and they cost only £67.99 including delivery.Most of the kindles supplied as refurbs have barely been out of the box. Some of them even had the protective plastic covers intact!

The only downside is that you dont get a mains charger(it ships with only a USB cable). But you can buy these for a couple of quid on ebay

Link to amazon uk refurb kindles

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B002Y27P46

Well, Kindle replacement update if anyone is interested. My original Kindle broke on Tuesday night, I called customer service as I mentioned above that night. Got an email yesterday saying it had been dispatched and, to my amazement, one brand new Kindle arrived by post this morning.

I was even more surprised that it was already registered with my Amazon details. I had got the original from Tesco and did that myself, but when I turned the new one on today, it was already done for me.

I think I am going to go and give the 'Last good book you read' thread a going through now, definitely need some new books! And to delete about 20 Kindle versions of The Guardian that I haven't got round to reading.

Having had a 3g Kindle since April, which appeared to work well on MTs network, it has suddenly stopped doing so.

i decided to ring Manx Telecom for the official line. The first bloke i spoke to said they have never worked on the IOM and 'it was the first time he had heard of it if mine had'. I decided to ring again and got another person. They said it was all down to Amazon who have granted exclusive rights to certain mobile carriers in the UK and Manx Telecom was not one of them. They could not explain why mine had worked initially but no longer did so. Again it was thrown back in Amazons court for not being able to guarantee coverage.

So, what is the real reason? The truth is out there! When i get a bit of time I will try ringing Amazon for their take on it.

Having had a 3g Kindle since April, which appeared to work well on MTs network, it has suddenly stopped doing so.

i decided to ring Manx Telecom for the official line. The first bloke i spoke to said they have never worked on the IOM and 'it was the first time he had heard of it if mine had'. I decided to ring again and got another person. They said it was all down to Amazon who have granted exclusive rights to certain mobile carriers in the UK and Manx Telecom was not one of them. They could not explain why mine had worked initially but no longer did so. Again it was thrown back in Amazons court for not being able to guarantee coverage.

So, what is the real reason? The truth is out there! When i get a bit of time I will try ringing Amazon for their take on it.

I believe!

On the Island? That would be a bit of a bonus. How does one do that wonderous thing then Mr Slim?

Go to settings and type 311 (you have to use the alt keys, work it out in a search box or something before you get to the settings page). This gives you a choice of carriers, choose a 2g/gprs one and it works just fine.

I've noticed that I can't get a 2G signal anymore. Anyone else noticed this? Have Sure and MT blocked it?

I can see the networks but it won't connect to any of them. Any ideas, or has anyone else had issue?

My post wasn't very clear but I'm having the same problem. Can see them but not connect.

• 5 months later...

Kindle broke on holiday this week, rang amazon and was transferred to USA where the nice lady said she would send me a new kindle first class post and arrange collection of faulty one.

Amazing service really.

Just saying like flowers.gif

Archived