Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Loving my kindle. Got some good stuff cheaps from amazon's £1 a book offer.

One thing I've found that totally rules is Instapaper (instapaper.com). Find a long article on the interweb that you want to read later, click the instapaper button in your browser (I'm using the chrome plugin but there's a bookmark button too) and it's clipped, and sent to your instapaper account for reading later. But you can also set it to be beamed to your kindle daily, either over 3g for a fee or via free wifi. I've set it up wifi only, and it works a treat! Stuff arrives on the kindle, very well formatted and easy to read. Brilliant!

Have you been to Italy yet and did it work there? we're heading that way shortly and it would be good to know.

I hope you're not hitch hiking there.

I doubt any respectable woman would if she knew you was driving nearby

Loving my kindle. Got some good stuff cheaps from amazon's £1 a book offer.

One thing I've found that totally rules is Instapaper (instapaper.com). Find a long article on the interweb that you want to read later, click the instapaper button in your browser (I'm using the chrome plugin but there's a bookmark button too) and it's clipped, and sent to your instapaper account for reading later. But you can also set it to be beamed to your kindle daily, either over 3g for a fee or via free wifi. I've set it up wifi only, and it works a treat! Stuff arrives on the kindle, very well formatted and easy to read. Brilliant!

I use Calibre to pull down all the newspapers and mags that I want. Legit and free. Updates the Kindle every morning.

I use Calibre to pull down all the newspapers and mags that I want. Legit and free. Updates the Kindle every morning.

Yep, found that. Really impressive, love the way it compiles the newspaper feeds into periodicals with article indexes. Instapapers a bit different though, it's more of a 'read later' button for your browsing so you can send a single article off to the kindle.

• 1 month later...

So, I am a noob to Kindles, I just thought it was an electronic book store. I needed a book from Amazon tonight, so downloaded the pc app and bought the book, but it was not far off the price of getting the hard copy. However, the temptation is to go fully Kindle. Can anyone in non-geek speak summarise why you would want a proper Kindle in preference to the app on your pc?

Just got one. How do I download this "calibre" software on to it (in words of one syllable). I've looked online but it seems you need to be quite geeky to understand it

Go here - http://calibre-ebook.com/download

Right click on the link for your operating system and save to your desktop.

That'll put a new icon on your desktop click that and follow instructions.

I think it asks for you Kindle e-mail address you want to use the free one. You can find that on the settings page of your kindle - but instead of tugger@kindle.com use tugger@free.kindle.com. You will also need to amend your kindle settings at Amazon.co.uk "manage my kindle" to accept docs from whatever email you tell calibre to use.

Do that and the prog should be installed.

Archived