Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

Amazon uses mobi doesn't it? And Callibre converts everything to Kindle format anyway.

Not to my knowledge. Amazon uses its own format - azw and I don't think Calibre supports conversion to azw.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazon uses mobi doesn't it? And Callibre converts everything to Kindle format anyway.

Not to my knowledge. Amazon uses its own format - azw and I don't think Calibre supports conversion to azw.

Calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC**, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, TCR, TXT

Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, TCR, TXT

Kindle File Types Supported: AZW, TPZ, PRC, MOBI, TXT, PDF, MP3, AA, AAX

AZW is basically the MOBI format using the high compression option.

User content conversion

Some other formats can be converted to Kindle format by sending them to Amazon's web site. This user converted content can also be optionally be downloaded via Whispernet for USD$.15 per Megabyte in the US and USD$.99 per megabyte internationally. User content conversion is free if you don't use Whispernet.

Formats that can be converted include:

• Microsoft Word (.DOC)
  • Structured HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
  • JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
  • GIF (.GIF)
  • PNG (.PNG)
  • BMP (.BMP)
  • PDF (.PDF) (No longer needed for this device.)

Note that the cost is per MB (rounded upwards) and mail. In other words, two mails with 400KB each, costs USD$1.98 in total. But a single mail with two attachments of 400KB each, for a total of 800KB for that mail still costs USD$0.99.

Note that it is possible to convert .ePUB and .PDF files on the Kindle 2 itself using a program called Savory. The files can be downloaded via the built-in Kindle browser and are then converted on the fly.

Very informative, but I still don't want a kindle.

I called into Waterstones today to buy one but, the chap refused to let me see it - stating security reasons - I offered to be supervised, but he declined. It was attached rigidly to the wall and turned off. I told him I was not going to spend that amount of money without being able to see it working and left.

Soooo, does anyone know anywhere else that sells them where they don't have an issue with a customer seeing an item working prior to purchase?

Soooo, does anyone know anywhere else that sells them where they don't have an issue with a customer seeing an item working prior to purchase?

I saw one in W H Smiths but not on Island - they had a display with room for several models locked into frames so customers could 'play' but only a couple of Sony models were installed and only the cheap £99 model seemed to have power. I was quite impressed by the readabilty but the screen size looked about 20 lines of text (in landscape mode)of 40-60 chars ? but it seemed very slow to respond to any button and page changes were also noticeably slow. I suspect that Smiths might be gearing up to sell such devices.

Feck it weirdos. It's Amazon! Buy one and if you don't like it, return it and they'll refund you.

And Manx retailers - get used to the real world! Your job is to SELL to people. The more I hear of Strand Street, the more I see Douglas becoming a big supermarket and lots of 'flats'.

Someone want a business model: how about the 'We Charge £3 more" shop. Every item you want, but £3 more than the cheapest price you can find. Because you can have it there and then. High street retailing is on its knees in the UK and major stores are acting like galleries for their own web sites. Strand Street is going to fail unless it tries to get in the game. The only winners will be Isle of Man Post Office.

Oredered my Kindle last Monday, received yesterday Friday! Unboxed and plugged in and turned on. It went straight to 3G ( in Castletown)and downloaded the free books I had pending on Amazon. Did not realise I had 50 free books pending! All downloaded quickly with no other effort on my part to connect to any web site or PC. Had bought the book cover with light and it works very well. I did try at some time later when the Kindle was fully charged to access free internet but did not work so maybe I will have to read more about it. Cannot try the Wi-Fi till next week. Will update. So far , pleased.

My friend got their Kindle today and immediately got the 3G working and downloaded a book or two. Then the office gadget guy had a play and switched it to WiFi. However now they can't get the 3G to work. Any ideas on how to switch between the two? Or any ideas?

Same thing happened with me. I suspect when you first switch it on the 3G works over MT's network, then MT pick up on it after about an hour and block you, just a supposition though.

From the info given in the handbook and on Uk kindle forums a hard reset does not change any settings. Just use the swtch off button and hold on switch off for about 20 seconds. I have tried it and it flashes then goes to reload.

The WI-Fi and 3 G work together. If you turn The WI-Fi off you turn the 3G off and vice versa. From info found it appears that the Kindle looks for Wi-fi first and if it does not find one then tries the 3 G. So check to see if the Kindle has picked up any Wi-Fi networks. (somewhere on the settings list). I have found a couple of UK kindle forums which have good info. on. Try Googling.

Thanks for the write up Prag. I've heard some complaints about the Indy Kindle version missing much of what's in the print edition. Noticed that much?

Haven't seen a print edition to compare, but there seems to be plenty of content. I suspect most of what's missing are pictures, tables, and diagrams: you occasionally have references in the text to something that's apparently not there.

When my trial of the Independent runs out I'll try a few of the others and see how they compare.

Did a hard reset, Move on/off switch to the right and count to 20. 3g connection returned and no books missing. I was able to access some favourite web sites but had to read the handbook to learn how to magnify the page! Seems suitable for a free quick check of news, (BBC, ioman news and Manx radio sites) whilst travelling but I would prefer to use my Netbook with dongle or free Wi-Fi. Still pleased though with the free books (52 now!)and being able to read on the move.

Got a ver 3 on order, but went for WiFi only. Happy enough to only buy books and sync at home or in a WiFi zone.

Having had it for a couple of weeks now, there are very few downsides and lots of upsides. In its main function as a book reader, it's as easy and simple as reading the real thing. Crisp, clear display, quick refresh, no eyestrain. The novelty factor of using a reader disappears quite quickly and then you're just reading.

Further advantages are, though:

• Instant gratification of new book purchases
  • Free book samples, although of course you can also go into a real bookshop and sample read, but that's so 20th century!
  • Syncing of your "last read" position across devices, e.g. Kindle and smartphone reader
  • Less weight, especially for limited-luggage cheapo holiday flights
  • Inline dictionary definitions

Of course, you can't read it in the dark, but you can't do that with a print book either.

The added features (magazine and newspaper subs, music player and browser) aren't things I have used much as yet. With hours of podcasts, Sky+ recordings, US TV torrents, audiobooks, print mags and other media to digest, it hasn't been on my todo list.

I am beginning to regret not getting the 3G version as I misunderstood that there aren't any network charges, except if you get Amazon to convert and whisper stuff to you. So, effectively after the £40 up-front you have t'interwebs free anywhere there's a mobile connection - although with certain restrictions, e.g. flash, no colour etc.

I think that I will end up using it more and more over the next few months as a cheapo tablet for mobile email, simple browsing and document viewing. Wishlist would include the ability to sync documents in specific folders on my desktop and an email client. Would also wish for some combined book/e-book bundles to keep the shelves groaning.

Also see The Reg review for a more erudite treatment of some of these points.

Edited to add: Do we have a definitive answer as to whether 3G works locally? Although Kindle tech support were good with an initial wifi/registration problem, I can imagine being stuck in call centre hell if I asked them about IoM availability.

Edited to add: Do we have a definitive answer as to whether 3G works locally?

Yes, got a 3G one - works fine.

That's strange. As said before my 3g worked for an hour then stopped. Tried a hard reset still does not work.

Archived