Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

The thing in the UK is about £250, for that you could buy a Sony e-reader and a crap load of e-books.

I like the idea of a e-reader but cant justify it, there is something inherently more pleasurable about reading a proper book compared to having it on a screen.

I just paid £130 (ish) for the 3G model.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some publishers are definitely taking the piss with ebook pricing, but the majority of stuff seems to be cheaper. Just don't buy the expensive books, boycott the publishers setting the daft prices. Amazon have pretty much asked people not to buy those books that they've been forced to price high.

hey gladys! ive got one and love it. am using it now to access mf using 3g..hence the appalling typing and lack of punctuation. for travelling its a godsend. normally i can only carry 2/3 books but now ihave a hundtred at my fingertips. ive got used to it now but it did take a while. as others have said its no substitute for the look and feel of a book on your hands. brilliant for reading in bed though and slips nicely in your bag or back pocket for a swift read while waiting for a coffee or for the washing to finish ;). the 3g has enabled us to keep in touch with family and to checkout places we're visiting.. were in south of france and its been available everywhere. you couldnt spend ages on it though.. im shattered just trying to type this! loads of free books and ive found that the others have been far cheape than the real thing. hope you enjoy it.

I tend to read stupidly huge sci-fi tomes, and the kindle is ace for that. Those things are a pig to hold, but of course on the kindle it's single handed and tiny. Love my daily newspaper drop too using calibre. I'm dead chuffed with mine, use it daily.

Calibre setup is as above, install it on your pc, add the feeds you want and set it to mail them to your free kindle address. Bosh, newspaper/web news delivery daily. The latest kindle os improves the navigation of periodicals too, making them even betterer.

I tend to read stupidly huge sci-fi tomes, and the kindle is ace for that. Those things are a pig to hold, but of course on the kindle it's single handed and tiny. Love my daily newspaper drop too using calibre. I'm dead chuffed with mine, use it daily.

I am sure when you are sat on the beach in Benidorm in the summer that the bright sunlight will not make it diffcult to read. And, of course it will still be there under your towel when you get back from your swim. ;)

I am sure when you are sat on the beach in Benidorm in the summer that the bright sunlight will not make it diffcult to read. And, of course it will still be there under your towel when you get back from your swim. ;)

It's e-ink, so sunlight will not make it difficult to read at all, it'll make it easier. Leaving it lying around isn't ideal, but then it's worth less than your average mobile phone so it's a problem you've already got.

I'm not one for beach hols anyway, off to Majorca soon for a spring training camp :)

Apart from reading a book whilst I have been away, I am writing this at Heysham waitimg for the ferry to bring me home. Kindle connected to 3G and for free. Previous posts of mine show how easy it is to connect to the web abroad. I would recommend a Kindle to anyone. I find it easy to use , even though I am elderly and not too computer savy.

Hi

There are a couple of Kindle models available.

I have a Kindle in the Isle of Man and there are no charges for either transferring your own documents onto it or converting documents for download via their website (you can also do these via your PC). Lots of free books, etc. It has wireless so you are merely using your own broadband connection or wherever there is a free wifi connection (it also now has access to the web rather than just Amazon)

The Kindle 3G however does charge for converting your own documents etc.

So, buy a Kindle and buy the standard one which is basically the same as the 3G .

I agree with others regarding the pricing of some items in the Kindle store: it's ridiculous to charge the same (or sometimes more) for an eBook than for a paperback. When I buy Kindle books I tend to do so from Amazon's website rather than from the Kindle itself, which means I can clearly see the prices in various formats and avoid those where the publisher is taking the piss. On the whole though I real enjoy the convenience of it: the only physical book I've bought since acquiring my Kindle in October was a travel guide, as the Kindle's not really well suited for flicking back and forth.

I have downloaded the calibre programme, now what do I do? Any further instructions where do you get e books etc. Thanks

calibre is ggreat, converts any type of book file into a mobi for the kindle, i grabbed a book pack of 3900 books from warez bb and now i just take a pick of what books i want on my kindle, no more buying books from the overproced kindle store :D

i grabbed a book pack of 3900 books from warez bb and now i just take a pick of what books i want on my kindle, no more buying books from the overproced kindle store :D

Piracy deprives content producers from their relatively minuscule royalties ? If you like their work enough to steal it you shouldn't steal it.

It's no different to stealing from shops or your neighbours or family.

calibre is ggreat, converts any type of book file into a mobi for the kindle, i grabbed a book pack of 3900 books from warez bb and now i just take a pick of what books i want on my kindle, no more buying books from the overproced kindle store :D

You'll be working for free too yeah?

Archived