Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

I had a play with a 3g Kindle a while ago. The sim card was built in and cannot be removed. This being the case, it is not a service providers sim card and not linked into their network. There were some service providers in Europe that signed up to the amazon mobile network service (wispanet?) but not many of them.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a play with a 3g Kindle a while ago. The sim card was built in and cannot be removed. This being the case, it is not a service providers sim card and not linked into their network. There were some service providers in Europe that signed up to the amazon mobile network service (wispanet?) but not many of them.

It looks like there are quite a lot of countries signed up for it actually but the IOM looks noticeably white in the coverage map. Can anyone confirm if the 3G version works here?

In reality I do believe this is a short lived unit, if you look at ggogle up and coming Gizmodo and all the other android ipad rivals then you can get a reader that will handle all kindle can and give you the functions of the ipad plush flash and full adobe as well as the fact they all have a built in fully operating phone, if you want something the size of ebooks the samsung galaxy tablet is out next week.

There were some service providers in Europe that signed up to the amazon mobile network service (wispanet?) but not many of them.

That's just not true.

Jim: you're comparing apples n oranges. Pad devices fit a different niche than ebook readers, the eink tech really does make a big difference and the price is a lot lower.

Jim: you're comparing apples n oranges. Pad devices fit a different niche than ebook readers, the eink tech really does make a big difference and the price is a lot lower.

Yep very true, I was just looking at it from what I wanted and as I want to put colour manuals and reference books on it colour is a big priority hence my bias towards a pad.

Amazon UK do deliver direct to the Isle of Man. Never had a problem as we have a UK Post Code. I ordered my 3g Kindle this last Monday and have been notified that expected despatch date is 6th October. I have about 30 free books pending in my Kindle box on Amazon to download as soon as the Kindle comes out of the box. Also ordered the leather cover with light. Will try the 3g ASAP. I too travel UK in the holidays and will be in Italy at Xmas so will try the 3G there. The map does show coverage for Italy.

Archived