Amazon Kindle

The Old Git

Guys... this is progress....

You are the kind of people who would might historically have said "an internet forum for Manx people, that will never take off" but look at it now! Ok, bad example.

Oh that's not the case at all. I definitely think these will take off, and I hate the idea of mass market books (and games, cd's, dvd's...). It's daft.

But I also think technology has to be justified, and unless you've a particular set of circumstances, for example the need to carry many books around, devices like the kindle aren't quite there for mass market use. They need to have much better screens, touch sensitive, properly lit, colour and be bigger. They need always on internet access, no daft restrictions on what you can and can't use em for, and the books need to be sensibly priced. It's getting closer, and big outfits like amazon promoting them will get them there faster, but its not ready for me yet.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's getting closer, and big outfits like amazon promoting them will get them there faster, but its not ready for me yet.

Completely agree...

oldgit: Not entirely sure how the roaming data rates work to be honest. You might be right.

What I was meaning was that I think in the UK there's no separate data charge to connect to Amazon and download a book. The 99p data charge seemed to be for putting your own content onto the Kindle.

I must admit that I haven't picked up and read a book in years.

For entertainment / relaxation I usually carry about 20 audio books on my iPhone and listen to them while I'm walking, in the garden or traveling.

For reference type books, manuals, etc, I much prefer a searchable PDF version and I have around 40 or 50 in a Dropbox folder that I can access from any computer or my iPhone again. I could see the attraction of having them on a Kindle

OldGit: It's not entirely clear. The page says currently "For U.S. customers traveling abroad, a $1.99 fee currently applies when downloading books or single issues of periodicals wirelessly from your Archived Items or the Kindle store while roaming internationally. "

So I've no idea. The wireless T&C's also say you get charged for internet access.

I'm guessing that by the time everyone has to use it that it certainly won't be "free"

It's not free of course, it's wound into the price of the books, which are tied to amazon. I think they'll continue with the 'no download fee' though, it's been out in the US for a while and it works.

They say of the browser:

Basic Web Browser

Kindle's basic Web browser works well to read simple, text-centric Web sites such as Google and Wikipedia. Need to find a movie listing or look up a sports score? Now it's easier than ever to find the information you're looking for right from your Kindle. The experimental Web browser is not currently available for some customers outside the U.S. Check your country

And that's chargeable at the really high per mb cost.

OldGit: It's not entirely clear. The page says currently "For U.S. customers traveling abroad, a $1.99 fee currently applies when downloading books or single issues of periodicals wirelessly from your Archived Items or the Kindle store while roaming internationally. "

Ah, I was (mis)reading the UK site

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. For non-U.S. customers, there are also no additional charges for wireless delivery outside your home country.

You can transfer personal documents to your Kindle via USB for free at anytime. Service fees for transferring personal documents via Whispernet are currently $.99 per megabyte.

the IOM is just a big black hole.

...yes.

And does this include IOM with regard to "No Roaming Charges" http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/27744/kind...roaming-charges

Not according to the coverage map on amazons site, the IOM is just a big black hole.

I would imagine the wireless coverage is arranged in the same way as the PocketSurfer and a deals been done with one or more network providers. Given that the PocketSurfer doesn't work here either I'd be surprised if a deal with an IOM network was forthcoming given the relatively small number of potential subscribers.

Archived