By-election In Peel - Time To Be Counted

Paul_Peel

You may have heard, or maybe not, that there is to be a by-election for a new Peel Commissioner.

There is a lot of debate in the town about the need for new blood ... to move away from 'the same crowd' and get someone with a true mandate from the people.

So, I've had an idea, In order to stand for election I would need 10 Peel residents to sign the nomination form, now in the normal course of events a candidate would go round friends and family to get the required 10.

My offer is this, if enough people contact me over the weekend and offer to act as Assentors (basically be on the Peel register of electors and be happy to sign the form) then I will stand for election.

I am asking the people of Peel to support me and breathe new life into this stale team!

Anyone interested can contact me via email .... PaulWoodhouse@manx.net

Lets see if we can make a difference!

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your so right Paul - new blood is needed. Tell us a little about you then.........

You may have heard, or maybe not, that there is to be a by-election for a new Peel Commissioner.

There is a lot of debate in the town about the need for new blood ... to move away from 'the same crowd' and get someone with a true mandate from the people.

So, I've had an idea, In order to stand for election I would need 10 Peel residents to sign the nomination form, now in the normal course of events a candidate would go round friends and family to get the required 10.

My offer is this, if enough people contact me over the weekend and offer to act as Assentors (basically be on the Peel register of electors and be happy to sign the form) then I will stand for election.

I am asking the people of Peel to support me and breathe new life into this stale team!

Anyone interested can contact me via email .... PaulWoodhouse@manx.net

Lets see if we can make a difference!

Its the easiest thing to say 'I'm going to go in there & shake them up, or to '... breathe new life into this stale team!', as you say. You are not the first to think you can be an agent of change. Its fair to say that most commissioners get elected by saying something similar

How will you do that? What policies will you bring with you? I'm guessing that this is a reaction to the sewage issue? The commissioners, if you ask me as a Peel resident, have stood up very well to some heavy handed threatening tactics from the DoT.

Good luck & all that, don't get me wrong, & if I'm convinced by you, I'll put my name down for you.

You are quite right, you do need to know more about me before you can support me. As I only found out about the election today I have not had time to work up a manifesto, so following is a brief, off the cuff, summary.

That said, as I want to represent the views of the people of Peel, then any suggestions will be given serious consideration.

About me:

I’m a 44 year old IT professional, married to Jane for 14 years, we have two children (plus one dog) and have lived in the town for seven years.

About my policies:

The big issue in Peel seems to be a disconnect between the board of commissioners and the people. We need honest open communication, so, as a start I’d like to see the minutes of the ‘private’ part of the commissioners meetings published in the same way as the public part (redacted if needs be ... but how secret can things really be).

The board (and the Town Clerk) need to understand that they are servants of the people ... as an example of the problem I recently sent an email to every board member, read receipts confirm that they all read it, but only the chairman and one other bothered to reply.

On sewage ... yes we need a plant but not where the DoT wanted to put it.

On parking ... No to ‘Pay and Display’. We need to finish the traffic management plan the commissioners undertook some time ago and make sure the output is a workable way forward acceptable to all.

On a bypass / Oak road ... I don’t have the full story here but the need for a bypass is clear however it must be developed in such a way as to increase the safety of residents (especially children) not reduce that safety.

On Motor Sport / the Vikings etc ... I am in favour of any events which bring prosperity to the town, as long as they are properly organised with due consideration is given to safety and nuisance to towns folk.

On Dog Bylaws ... The problem is with enforcement of current bylaws, the need for more stringent restrictions on responsible dog owners is far from proven.

Any other question ... just ask!

Where do you stand on

1. The Sewage plant

2. Ballawattleworth through road

3. Planning permission on 200+ new homes

Answer those questions and let the voters of Peel (of which I am not one) decide.

1 & 2 are covered in my previous post, as for the 200+ new homes, as yet I don't have an opinion simply because I don't know the full story. If you want to email me with your views I will give the matter consideration and make a statement in my manifesto ... of course, until I know all the facts I can't guarantee that I will agree with your view.

Its the easiest thing to say 'I'm going to go in there & shake them up, or to '... breathe new life into this stale team!', as you say. You are not the first to think you can be an agent of change. Its fair to say that most commissioners get elected by saying something similar

How will you do that? What policies will you bring with you? I'm guessing that this is a reaction to the sewage issue? The commissioners, if you ask me as a Peel resident, have stood up very well to some heavy handed threatening tactics from the DoT.

Good luck & all that, don't get me wrong, & if I'm convinced by you, I'll put my name down for you.

All valid points, the real reason for my interest at this point is the fact that there have been a number of issues lately and a number of requisition meetings. Having missed my copy of the Courier last week the fact that there is to be an election came as something of a shock to me today, I only found out following a chance comment from Rodger Gimbert .... that just feels wrong to me.

As to how I will live up to my words to breathe new life ... that needs some careful thought over the weekend. What I will say at this point is that I have seen some improvements since Roger has taken over as chairperson, he has always given due consideration to comments I have raised with him so perhaps the 'door' is already slightly ajar.

I will consider I have achieved something if all I do is ensure there is a contested election to give the people a choice and the victor the chance to say they were truly ‘elected’

On parking ... No to ‘Pay and Display’. We need to finish the traffic management plan the commissioners undertook some time ago and make sure the output is a workable way forward acceptable to all.

As the town grows, as it surely will, residents will not simply walk into the town. They will bring their cars. It always seems a bit naive when planners allow for parking in residential areas, but forget that those same vehicles will not be permanently stuck on somebody's drive. Parking is going to be a massive issue for Peel in the forseeable future. Finishing the traffic management plan undertaken some time ago is unlikely to cut the mustard.

I don't live in Peel, however I wish you well.

As the town grows, as it surely will, residents will not simply walk into the town. They will bring their cars. It always seems a bit naive when planners allow for parking in residential areas, but forget that those same vehicles will not be permanently stuck on somebody's drive. Parking is going to be a massive issue for Peel in the forseeable future. Finishing the traffic management plan undertaken some time ago is unlikely to cut the mustard.

I don't live in Peel, however I wish you well.

The traffic management plan is a vehicle for understanding and articulating the problems ... and there are several ... and evaluating possible solutions.

Don't forget that many residents of Peel simply don't have drives to leave their cars on, they have a few spots on the streets and the, currently free, car parks. Think how you would react if you needed to pay and display to park on your drive.

We need to get residents into the centre via other means, perhaps public transport, perhaps additional short term parking ... or maybe there are other option. Public transport is certainly a greener option.

In truth parking has been a huge issue in Peel for many years so it is not something that is going to be solved overnight.

Archived