By-election In Peel - Time To Be Counted

Paul_Peel

It would have taken you about an hour to get 10 signatures by knocking on a few doors. You would have been surprised how many people would have supported you. And you have practically a month to then canvass/leaflet etc.

Sorry, but I have to say this, if you haven't the nouse to do that...then maybe not standing is the right decision for you.

Ah ... but you have missed the point entirely. Yes I could have knocked a few doors and got support from my neighbours or called friends and family .... that would have been easy .... and the very thing I stated I was not going to do!

The point is, was there enough support across the electorate for change, for a candidate standing not just to represent their street or their social circle but rather a wider swath of the community. And yes, had I had a week or two I would not have restricted myself to the web to find out.

If I was going to put myself forward I wanted to assess the level of interest outside my normal circle of friends. Were my views, sympathetic to the needs of the wider electorate or not ...

What I learned was that many people will offer opinions but only a couple of people were willing to step up to the mark, identify themselves and offer support .... most prefer to comment from behind the anonymity of a screen name.

You didn't have to knock on the doors of just friends and family - you would have got a good/better understanding of feeling a few streets away. Friends and family are usually the worst people in the world to give you sound advice - as they will support you regardless - because that's what friends and family do - no matter how many times we fall flat on our faces.

People do generally tend to be slow in coming forward on MF if it involves anything more than typing. People do indeed like their anonymity and hiding behind a screen name. The proposed 'treasure hunt' a year or so ago showed that well over 100 would be likely to attend, but when push came to shove and it got to doing it, the reality was it turned out to be 10.

That said, there are some fundamental frendships that have been forged on here, and sometimes some fundamental involvements in politics are happening behind the scenes or in other arenas - details of which are not necessarily published on here for all to see.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you'd have got Neil to re-instate Timothy Taylors Landlord Bitter at the Whitey I'd have signed your piece of paper. But then again I don't live in Peel so it wouldn't have done you much good.

How about going for EU president? (Sorry, bit of a flaw with that one as well)

The Landlord is back in the house!

It would have taken you about an hour to get 10 signatures by knocking on a few doors. You would have been surprised how many people would have supported you. And you have practically a month to then canvass/leaflet etc.

Sorry, but I have to say this, if you haven't the nouse to do that...then maybe not standing is the right decision for you.

Ah ... but you have missed the point entirely. Yes I could have knocked a few doors and got support from my neighbours or called friends and family .... that would have been easy .... and the very thing I stated I was not going to do!

The point is, was there enough support across the electorate for change, for a candidate standing not just to represent their street or their social circle but rather a wider swath of the community. And yes, had I had a week or two I would not have restricted myself to the web to find out.

If I was going to put myself forward I wanted to assess the level of interest outside my normal circle of friends. Were my views, sympathetic to the needs of the wider electorate or not ...

What I learned was that many people will offer opinions but only a couple of people were willing to step up to the mark, identify themselves and offer support .... most prefer to comment from behind the anonymity of a screen name.

The problem here is you have asked a group of strangers to support your political ambition with no real information, no incentive beyond the whole "new blood" argument and no real effort on your part.

I know that you have not had any real time to put any kind of manifesto together due to the lack of time, and this is understandable, however if you truly wanted to get in to politics to make a difference then you should have gotten your 10 names however you could. Then you would have had the time to put together your "mission statement" for people to vote for.

The fact you came on here and said you'll make Peel a better place, but only if Peel makes the first move smacks of utter laziness. It signals to me that you think your political career is worth no more than 5 minutes of your time. I know for a fact there are at the very least 10 people in my extended family, 6 of which live on the same street, who would have more than welcomed some fresh blood into the commissioners, hell there are 16 people in my building who more than likely would have been willing to back you.

But not only did you not go even a little out of your way you are now laying this on us with the whole "no ones got in contact so I won't bother" attitude.

It seems that you have missed the point of this whole exercise, getting 10 names has nothing to do with finding out "was there enough support across the electorate for change" that is what the actual election is all about. If you really wanted to change Peel for the better then you would have got your friends an family to support you, even though you initially didn't want to, because it would then have given you the platform to tell people what you had to offer and then find out if the people of Peel really want your particular brand of "change" on the 3rd December.

Hi,

Just thought it worth mentioning that subject to anyone pulling out there will be a contested election in Peel. This will allow for all topical items to be aired and for the elected representative to have a mandate from the people.

The names will be released hopefully on Friday, the date for the election is the 3rd December.

Hi,

Just thought it worth mentioning that subject to anyone pulling out there will be a contested election in Peel. This will allow for all topical items to be aired and for the elected representative to have a mandate from the people.

The names will be released hopefully on Friday, the date for the election is the 3rd December.

Commissioners Election-3 December 2009

With the resignation of Ms Penny Hardman as a Commissioner four candidates have come forward to contest a by-election which will take place on Thursday, 3rd December 2009. Voting takes place at the Corrin Hall between 8:00am and 8:00pm.

The four candidates are :-

Name Address Occupation

1. BOWIE Marlyn 5 Ballaterson Crescent, Peel Butcher/Delicatessen Proprietor

2. DAVISON Ian Greig 26 Derby Road, Peel Company Managing Director

3. HARMER Raymond Karl 6 Oak Road, Peel Business Analyst

4. MARSHALL Suzette Natasha 2 North View, Peel Book-keeper

Archived