By-election In Peel - Time To Be Counted

Paul_Peel

The big issue in Peel seems to be a disconnect between the board of commissioners and the people.

That just sounds like the kind of fluff which people always say.

We need honest open communication, so, as a start I’d like to see the minutes of the ‘private’ part of the commissioners meetings published in the same way as the public part (redacted if needs be ... but how secret can things really be).

If the private business was to be published then what would the point of it being private ?

You presumably understand why certain things have to be discussed in private ? Everything else is for the public meetings. That would be a fairly standard practice everywhere in the free world.

We need to get residents into the centre via other means, perhaps public transport, perhaps additional short term parking ... or maybe there are other option. Public transport is certainly a greener option.

In truth parking has been a huge issue in Peel for many years so it is not something that is going to be solved overnight.

Yeah. No. Yeah. No. Yeah. Well maybe. Or may be not.

Any other policies ?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did say that " As the town grows...planners allow for residential parking" etc..........

"Don't forget that many residents of Peel simply don't have drives to leave their cars on, they have a few spots on the streets and the, currently free, car parks. Think how you would react if you needed to pay and display to park on your drive"

Please don't treat me like an idiot. I'm prone to get bitchy when the moon is right.

We need honest open communication, so, as a start I’d like to see the minutes of the ‘private’ part of the commissioners meetings published in the same way as the public part (redacted if needs be ... but how secret can things really be).

If the private business was to be published then what would the point of it being private ?

You presumably understand why certain things have to be discussed in private ? Everything else is for the public meetings. That would be a fairly standard practice everywhere in the free world.

For sure ... hence my remark 'redacted if needs be' but lets get real here ... how much of commissioners business really needs to be private? If you ever walk past the town hall on a meeting night you will see that the private section of the meeting is as long as the public part!

The commissioners are running a small town not managing the affairs of a nuclear superpower ..... remember in the 1970's the menu in many UK MOD establishments were marked 'top secret'!!!!!

Der. So you are in favour of a publishing in public, the private minutes but redacting the bits that don't need to be private. And you get to decide. But don't you think that the stuff which is private would not be private if it was appropriate for it to be public ?

I'm going to bet that the question of what is public vs what is private is covered by procedures which are open to scrutiny. So what do the procedures say ?

I would need 10 Peel residents to sign the nomination form...

Let's hope they'll accept 'X's or thumbprints :rolleyes:

Good on you, and indeed anyone for standing. I think Tony Brown and co, and the general parish pump mob, have grossly underestimated the depth of feeling going around at the moment - as they bicker as though it's 'business as usual' - especially those I heard arguing about the Peel sewage system on the radio the other day. Times will be soon a changing on the island I think - hopefully as more people come forward.

Don't forget that many residents of Peel simply don't have drives to leave their cars on, they have a few spots on the streets and the, currently free, car parks. Think how you would react if you needed to pay and display to park on your drive.

Let me run this one by you Paul, I already "pay and display" on my drive as do many others in Peel.

Its called the rates.

Don't forget that many residents of Peel simply don't have drives to leave their cars on, they have a few spots on the streets and the, currently free, car parks. Think how you would react if you needed to pay and display to park on your drive.

Let me run this one by you Paul, I already "pay and display" on my drive as do many others in Peel.

Its called the rates.

There is some truth in what you say but let’s not kid ourselves that the difference in rates between a property with a drive and that without is anywhere comparable to the cost of pay and display over a year.

Many people with drives can park more than one car without additional cost and have the added benefit of a private outdoor space.

Its called the rates.

There is some truth in what you say but let's not kid ourselves that the difference in rates between a property with a drive and that without is anywhere comparable to the cost of pay and display over a year.

Many people with drives can park more than one car without additional cost and have the added benefit of a private outdoor space.

But I would say it would be comparable if you added up all the years I have been paying it whilst others parked for free.

Anyway I lost interest when you praised the current chairman/prospective MHK.

I emailed the commissioners a fairly simple query and got read receipts two days later. Two months later and no response I followed up with a call. Four months later and no response I followed up with a call. Six months later I got a letter out of the blue. Good luck. I get the feeling that there is not much to be lost in replacing the incumbent lot.

I'm going to bet that the question of what is public vs what is private is covered by procedures which are open to scrutiny. So what do the procedures say ?

What the hell do Peel Commissioners have to discuss which needs to be private?

Really?

Well apart from the things they wish to put in place as a fait accompli without allowing the population of the town any say in the matter.

Some truth there but be careful about what you ask for. If your Commisisoners minutes told everyone that a social worker had enquired about Mr & Mrs JC because their kids were being considered for the at risk register would you be comfortable. There is no doubt that a proportion of Commissioners business needs to be private, and its testament to them all that its stays such, as otherwise the private affairs of a great many prople would be open to scrutiny. Whats more worrying is that so much Government business is private and that Depts make very little attempt to let people know what decisions they make on a day to day basis.

Paul, you don't seem to have the 'full story' on a number of matters of interest to the residents of Peel. I would have thought that someone considering standing for office in the town would have gone out of their way to find out the full story...?

Just to be clear here, I had not planned to stand, in fact, up until mid morning today I did not even know there was to be an election. Bottom line is nominations need to be in by Monday so, if I'm going to stand I need to move fast.

However, you can rest assured that if there is enough interest and I get a supported nomination in on Monday then I will be making sure that I have a considered opinion on all relevant issues well in advance of poll date, which I understand is 3rd December.

As I said in an earlier post, what I have said so far is 'off the cuff', I will be drafting a detailed manifesto in due course.

Archived