By-election In Peel - Time To Be Counted

Paul_Peel

Some truth there but be careful about what you ask for. If your Commisisoners minutes told everyone that a social worker had enquired about Mr & Mrs JC because their kids were being considered for the at risk register would you be comfortable. There is no doubt that a proportion of Commissioners business needs to be private, and its testament to them all that its stays such, as otherwise the private affairs of a great many prople would be open to scrutiny. Whats more worrying is that so much Government business is private and that Depts make very little attempt to let people know what decisions they make on a day to day basis.

It is true that there are occasions when issues discussed should not in the public domain, you give a good example.

I am not suggesting that the private section of the meeting be held in public simply that much of what is considered private today could be (and probably should be) put into the public domain.

I believe that there would be significantly less distrust if there were more openness.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Times will be soon a changing on the island I think - hopefully as more people come forward.

I fear that the people who come next will be full of proletariat common sense and tabloid bluster but not so good on the actuality.

With luck the Civil Service and the Rotary will carry on managing things.

^ :)

So, there we go, I said on Friday that if enough people contacted me over the weekend and offered to act as assentors then I would stand in the forthcoming by-election.

As things stand I have had one offer ... so, either people disagree with my views, don't want to be counted or are happy with the status quo.

Either way, given my comments on Friday, it would be disingenuous of me to rush around friends and family this evening to get the required signatures.

For now then, sadly, I will return to the sidelines and hope that at least two people come forward and make a contest out of the election.

Its a good point. Who have you contacted? Have you done a bit of a house-to-house survey? Not a whole town one, but just around your area? or even had a wander around the pubs? There will always be people who have opinions strong enough enough to argue the toss, and therefore find people willing to back you. The trick is to find them, instead of thinking/expecting people will come to you

Just by looking at the Peel-based discussions on here (this being the only one) just shows that not many people who give a monkeys about Peel politics come on here & discuss. The Sewage issue is huge & hasn't been raised here, but it has on the people-of-peel website. Try there? But Peel's issues and topics are given more air in the Whitehouse more than on Manxforums. Do it face to face & the people here will respect you for it

I'm serious about what I said earlier, but I won't come to find you! The very best of luck if you do stand, & I think its in your favour that you are deciding to do it now off the cuff, so to speak, & not as some grand plan of social wheedling

Do it face to face & the people here will respect you for it

A good point Mike, but, as I have said, I only found out about the election Friday lunchtime.

If I had planned to stand in advance I would have been prepared and done many of the things you suggest, as it is, I did what I could with the time I had available.

Do it face to face & the people here will respect you for it

A good point Mike, but, as I have said, I only found out about the election Friday lunchtime.

If I had planned to stand in advance I would have been prepared and done many of the things you suggest, as it is, I did what I could with the time I had available.

It would have taken you about an hour to get 10 signatures by knocking on a few doors. You would have been surprised how many people would have supported you. And you have practically a month to then canvass/leaflet etc.

Sorry, but I have to say this, if you haven't the nouse to do that...then maybe not standing is the right decision for you.

So, there we go, I said on Friday that if enough people contacted me over the weekend and offered to act as assentors then I would stand in the forthcoming by-election.

As things stand I have had one offer ... so, either people disagree with my views, don't want to be counted or are happy with the status quo.

Either way, given my comments on Friday, it would be disingenuous of me to rush around friends and family this evening to get the required signatures.

For now then, sadly, I will return to the sidelines and hope that at least two people come forward and make a contest out of the election.

Good, the last thing Peel needs is an elected member with no clear policies, we have enough of them already!

But he is not asking you to elect him with no policies only to support him at the first stage, once he had support it would have been worth his while putting a clear set of policies in place.

Although I do agree this is probably the worst place to ask for support.

But he is not asking you to elect him with no policies only to support him at the first stage, once he had support it would have been worth his while putting a clear set of policies in place.

Although I do agree this is probably the worst place to ask for support.

Sorry, someone who decided to tout for support without any clear policies is on a hiding to nothing.

What was the campaign slogan going to be? "What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? We're not sure!"

Fortunately politicians of this type are rare...........................

I'll get me coat :P

It would have taken you about an hour to get 10 signatures by knocking on a few doors. You would have been surprised how many people would have supported you. And you have practically a month to then canvass/leaflet etc.

Sorry, but I have to say this, if you haven't the nouse to do that...then maybe not standing is the right decision for you.

Ah ... but you have missed the point entirely. Yes I could have knocked a few doors and got support from my neighbours or called friends and family .... that would have been easy .... and the very thing I stated I was not going to do!

The point is, was there enough support across the electorate for change, for a candidate standing not just to represent their street or their social circle but rather a wider swath of the community. And yes, had I had a week or two I would not have restricted myself to the web to find out.

If I was going to put myself forward I wanted to assess the level of interest outside my normal circle of friends. Were my views, sympathetic to the needs of the wider electorate or not ...

What I learned was that many people will offer opinions but only a couple of people were willing to step up to the mark, identify themselves and offer support .... most prefer to comment from behind the anonymity of a screen name.

Archived