Schools Closed

ThankU

with this wonderful world-class cutting edge (etc. etc.) communications network we have (or boast about) why don't all the kids log-in to the school system from home ?

(Where my sister used to teach all the kids homework was uploaded onto the school servers from home)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
with this wonderful world-class cutting edge (etc. etc.) communications network we have (or boast about) why don't all the kids log-in to the school system from home ?

(Where my sister used to teach all the kids homework was uploaded onto the school servers from home)

Some stuff is set online, but that doesn't really solve the child care issue for working parents.

Some stuff is set online, but that doesn't really solve the child care issue for working parents.

That's part of the normal pain and inconevience of working while you are bringing up kids, as well as all the child care costs, their occasional sickness etc. etc.

On the other hand, you could have reduced your problem by a third by keeping it in your pants and just having two instead of three kids, reducing some of some of your own child care problems by a third - and helping reduce global warming at the same time - cos maybe if you had, it might not have been snowing so much in the first place.

Yes Slim, the snow is all your own fault.

If the buses don't run I don't see the point of schools opening. A massive number of pupils travel to school on the bus. Has anyone else noticed how the decision on schools on both days has been announced just after the bus decision?

If the buses don't run many/most pupils can't get in and if the schools remained open their attendance record would be very low. Perhaps there is an ulterior motive as to why they are shut. Just a thought.

I can not see the buses being an isuue for primary schools. I do wonder if the DoE has kept the schools closed so as not to use up any of those extra days they "banked" by closing the Schools on Monday!

If the buses don't run many/most pupils can't get in and if the schools remained open their attendance record would be very low. Perhaps there is an ulterior motive as to why they are shut. Just a thought.

I can not see the buses being an isuue for primary schools. I do wonder if the DoE has kept the schools closed so as not to use up any of those extra days they "banked" by closing the Schools on Monday!

What a load of old shite!!

The GOVERNMENT closed the schools... not the actual schools themselves or the teachers. the government have closed the schools because there are issues with getting staff into school (not enough teachers = teacher/puil ratios not being met), the secondry schools would have the added issue of pupils not being able to get busses.

The primary schools would not really have problems with kids getting busses as most live close by BUT due to lazy parents and children who only live a short walk away STILL driving in which would cause further danger, i suspect that they took the decision to close schools to also keep traffic off the roads (kids not at school, parents need to stay home = less traffic!).

This means that there will be less accidents and therefore less strain on the emergency services and DoT.

It isn't just a case of closing schools for one reason, there are probably many reasons! Look at the bigger picture and dont just see school as a child minding service!

The GOVERNMENT closed the schools... not the actual schools themselves or the teachers. the government have closed the schools because there are issues with getting staff into school (not enough teachers = teacher/puil ratios not being met), the secondry schools would have the added issue of pupils not being able to get busses.

Like private businesses, the schools could still operate at a lower capacity. Yes, there would have been fewer teachers today, but also fewer students. Some kind of compromise rather than total shutdown.

The primary schools would not really have problems with kids getting busses as most live close by BUT due to lazy parents and children who only live a short walk away STILL driving in which would cause further danger, i suspect that they took the decision to close schools to also keep traffic off the roads (kids not at school, parents need to stay home = less traffic!).

This means that there will be less accidents and therefore less strain on the emergency services and DoT.

It isn't just a case of closing schools for one reason, there are probably many reasons! Look at the bigger picture and dont just see school as a child minding service!

Ah yes, blame the parents. You need to look at the bigger picture, not everyone has flexibility with their job, are already struggling with the schools last min decision to extend the holidays this year, and are now facing another two day shortfall in their holiday allowance. School may not be just a child minding service, but being a working parent is already challenging and this kind of decision makes it harder still.

Slim I don't blame the parents. But I don't see the point in opening when most of the pupils won't be in.

Primary age kids aren't dependent on buses. There's not the childcare problems with Secondary age kids, so it's less of an issue.

The GOVERNMENT closed the schools... not the actual schools themselves or the teachers. the government have closed the schools because there are issues with getting staff into school (not enough teachers = teacher/puil ratios not being met),

I never stated the schools or the teachers closed the schools. In fact I suggested it should be left to the head teachers who could make the decision on the number of staff available and the relevent raios.

Sorry these "lazy parents" being individuals like myself and the majority of people in the Isle of Man who still went to work. If they did not do you think the kids and the parents sat around indoors all day wrapped up in Cotton wool doing not a lot. No they were out and about in the snow, visiting friends etc.

Yesterday I agree with the schools etc being closed. Today when virtually all main roads are fine the risk is probably no different to mainy other days of the year.

Look at the bigger picture and dont just see school as a child minding service!

My wifes does have not paid employment, her "job" is that she looks after the house, kids etc. Thus child minding is not an issue for my family

Archived